Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004155 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #5460 on: July 01, 2013, 02:47:25 pm »

But water's not an element.

I should've said "molecule", yes.  ::)
You especially shouldn't have mentioned hydrogen, given that water is 33% hydrogen. And because its name literally means "water creating".
Water is either 67% or 11% hydrogen, depending of if you're going by atoms or mass, respectively.
While I got my formula reading backwards, I'm pretty sure it would be 66% by atoms, not 67%.
2/3
Or: 66.6666666666666666 Ad infinitum.

Rounding that to the nearest whole number is 67.
I have never seen a standard in which you are supposed to round up repeating numbers.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: July 01, 2013, 02:48:35 pm »

I have never seen 66.666.... rounded down o.O

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: July 01, 2013, 02:49:25 pm »

I'm not rounding down, I'm just not going into the decimal because it is commonly known that thirds result in repeating numbers.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: July 01, 2013, 02:53:17 pm »

Never see it happen that way either tbh.

Not saying it's wrong though.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: July 01, 2013, 02:58:57 pm »

I've seen it like 66.6667.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: July 01, 2013, 03:04:14 pm »

I'm not rounding down, I'm just not going into the decimal because it is commonly known that thirds result in repeating numbers.
You're truncating it. However, truncated numbers usually don't work well in arithmetic in terms of accuracy e.g. 66% + 33% = 99% whereas 67% + 33% = 100%. Floating point arithmetic has to deal with this problem. Rounding it usually results in a smaller error.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: July 01, 2013, 03:04:29 pm »

when dealing with significant figures, you round the number one decimal place past the most accurate calibration.

i.e. if you have a ruler that measures tenths of inches, and one edge of a piece of paper is a 0 and one edge is between 10.1" and 10.2" then you would round the length of the paper to 10.15".

following the rules of significant figures, in a sample of H2O you would indeed have 67 hydrogen : 33 oxygen, assuming that is that the most accurate calibration on the measuring device was the hundred's place.

EDIT: and also by the rules of rounding 66.66666666 would be indeed be rounded up to 67, assuming that's where you're rounding to.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:06:54 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: July 01, 2013, 03:06:23 pm »

Mostly moot discussion. If you care about precision, you likely won't be doing any rounding at all. If you don't care about precision, you likely won't care if the least significant digit is +- 1.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: July 01, 2013, 03:14:15 pm »

Mostly moot discussion. If you care about precision, you likely won't be doing any rounding at all. If you don't care about precision, you likely won't care if the least significant digit is +- 1.
It's in percent. So least significant digit is +- 0.01
:P

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: July 01, 2013, 03:16:43 pm »

you'll have to round because measuring instruments are only so accurate, I'd love to get the exact dosage for some medicine to administer, but a machine can only be so accurate, so you'll need to round to the point at which the machine can measure.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: July 01, 2013, 03:20:52 pm »

In the wonderful world of Physics, we round calculated values to the same number of SigFig as our instruments can measure... so 66.666 could easily be 67.
This is a blank sig.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: July 01, 2013, 03:24:49 pm »

you'll have to round because measuring instruments are only so accurate, I'd love to get the exact dosage for some medicine to administer, but a machine can only be so accurate, so you'll need to round to the point at which the machine can measure.
Aye, but at that level of precision, you probably don't care if the least significant digit is +- 1. 0.00001 mg less of medicine for someone isn't going to kill or save them.

You would probably care about +- 1 gram, but your instruments are more precise than that (as precise as they need to be).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: July 01, 2013, 03:26:17 pm »

In the wonderful world of Physics, we round calculated values to the same number of SigFig as our instruments can measure... so 66.666 could easily be 67.
And if you're using a log scale, you never round to nearest integer e.g. pH-measurements.

Aye, but at that level of precision, you probably don't care if the least significant digit is +- 1. 0.00001 mg less of medicine for someone isn't going to kill or save them.

You would probably care about +- 1 gram, but your instruments are more precise than that (as precise as they need to be).
Depends on how well-conditioned the system is, really. For instance, blood contains a buffer solution where the effect of acids and bases are decreased thus improving the condition number of the system. If the buffer solution wasn't there, however, the system would be ill-conditioned and a small introduction of an acid or base would have a much greater effect.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:36:18 pm by da_nang »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: July 01, 2013, 03:32:59 pm »

agreed. Practical utility is limited, but important.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: July 01, 2013, 10:03:09 pm »

Medical Warning:
"Do not take Lunesta if you are allergic to anything in it"

Thank you for the WONDERFUL piece of advice, Lunesta!
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 510