Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004177 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6270 on: September 09, 2013, 09:56:44 pm »

It's not the world's responsibility to shield people with mental sensitivity.
Neither is it anyone responsibility to be a decent person, but most at least try to.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6271 on: September 09, 2013, 10:10:55 pm »

Also, just putting it out there, but having PTSD triggered by "politics" would basically amount to "You're shit out of luck". It's like having your PTSD trigger be, say, red cars: there's no way you're ever going to insulate yourself (barring becoming a complete shut-in in a windowless building), even if everyone you meet makes a tremendous effort to help you do so. Which is part of what makes me suspect that it's more tumblr special-snowflake faffery.
^
Same thing with swearing really. Although, I wonder what could happen to somebody that would cause them to have PTSD triggered by swearing...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: September 09, 2013, 10:11:24 pm »

Neither is it anyone responsibility to be a decent person, but most at least try to.
No, it's your responsibility to be a decent person. That's what society is based off of. Pro-social behaviors must be greater than anti-social behaviors, or there will be collapse.

Anyway, as for the tumblrites in particular, most of them don't have PTSD. They have "This bothers me so I don't want you to talk about it" syndrome. Or the dreaded "I want a justification to explode at everything imaginable, but fake Aspergers has become passe even for tumblr" syndrome. But what is absolutely certain is that the tumblr community does not mostly consist of individuals who were given a diagnosis of an illness listed in the DSM-V by a certified mental health professional.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6273 on: September 09, 2013, 10:12:42 pm »

I have a confession to make.

Bay 12.....I am Vector. I have always been Vector.

Bay 12... I am Metalslimehunt. I have always been Metalslimehunt.

Also, just putting it out there, but having PTSD triggered by "politics" would basically amount to "You're shit out of luck". It's like having your PTSD trigger be, say, red cars: there's no way you're ever going to insulate yourself (barring becoming a complete shut-in in a windowless building), even if everyone you meet makes a tremendous effort to help you do so. Which is part of what makes me suspect that it's more tumblr special-snowflake faffery.
^
Same thing with swearing really. Although, I wonder what could happen to somebody that would cause them to have PTSD triggered by swearing...
How do things like politics and swearing trigger PTSD?

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: September 09, 2013, 10:14:32 pm »

My friend accidentally misspelled angel with angle, while talking about a baby. It was quite funny.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6275 on: September 09, 2013, 10:14:32 pm »

Bay 12.....I am Vector. I have always been Vector.

Bay 12... I am Metalslimehunt. I have always been Metalslimehunt.
Get back in the box and wait for your cue, damnit!
Anything is possible when you are a teenager on tumblr.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6276 on: September 09, 2013, 10:17:48 pm »

^
I don't know. That's why I posted that thing here.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6277 on: September 09, 2013, 10:19:52 pm »

No, it's your responsibility to be a decent person. That's what society is based off of. Pro-social behaviors must be greater than anti-social behaviors, or there will be collapse.
So you don't thing that shielding people with mental sensitivity contributes to being a decent person?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6278 on: September 09, 2013, 10:23:03 pm »

Oh, I dunno, being screwed over by the government enough times that you end up losing a house or something?  Swearing because you were molested by someone who was into dirty talk?

I had to cut my long hair because it had become an indelible symbol of weakness.  Immediately after I returned to a healthy weight and a lot of my nightmares, panic attacks, and mood swings went away.  Similarly, blond men with a Northern European sort of look set me off and I usually have to excuse myself from the conversation.  That's just how it is.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6279 on: September 09, 2013, 10:25:18 pm »

So you don't thing that shielding people with mental sensitivity contributes to being a decent person?
I don't think trying to coddle people with mental problems is a good thing. If you have an issue, you are going to encounter it outside of whatever "safe zone" you set up. The internet is by and large an open forum that you are not going to be protected on. The trigger movement are not a solution, they are a problem. Individuals with PTSD are best helped by following the advice of mental health professionals, not by rampant slacktivism.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6280 on: September 09, 2013, 10:28:29 pm »

I kind of think that maybe this is something you should defer to others on.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6281 on: September 09, 2013, 10:32:19 pm »

I will defer only to medical science. I'm certainly not going to take on faith something that is most known for being advocated by tumblr.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6282 on: September 09, 2013, 10:47:42 pm »

I will defer only to medical science. I'm certainly not going to take on faith something that is most known for being advocated by tumblr.

Previously it was most known for being advocated by feminists, and was then picked up on by tumblr.  That's why the rest of the internet now knows about it.

The reason why one doesn't defer exclusively to medical science is because menotoxin.  People's subjective experience of their own conditions is crucial in a world where power structures determine what is studied and from which standpoint.  Of course you can say "I can tell the difference between science and pseudoscience," but then you hold your own subjective experience high above those of others in an arena that is supposed to be objective, and you have already lost your battle.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6283 on: September 09, 2013, 10:59:05 pm »

A person's subjective experience may have merit in the treatment of a mental disorder, but it certainly isn't the primary factor. It can't be. Mental illness by definition alters one's ability to perceive reality. And while we all have different experiences, the physical differences between the brains of individuals are low enough that what can be empirically determined is what can and must form the basis.

As for the menotoxin thing, you shouldn't be focused over it occurring or a bunch of laymen accepting it on faith because it was in line with their preexisting religious dogma. What you should be focused on is how it got thrown out and destroyed because it couldn't be backed up, and now in the modern day nobody with any education believes menstrual blood is poisonous (or at least not more so than any other blood). This is why deferring to science is the thing you should do when you don't have a good alternative. It doesn't care about what anybody thinks or what tradition says is true. It is the method through which we determine objective reality.
No Gods, No Masters.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6284 on: September 09, 2013, 11:03:39 pm »

Maybe some people want to be able to just read and relax on the internet without being forced to face their psychological problems constantly? I don't think that's asking for a ton.

I'd be willing to bet that even people who are dealing with their problems enjoy getting a break from it.
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 510