Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002214 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6375 on: September 11, 2013, 10:37:54 am »

Quote from: a friend
Scientist have found aliens!
Quote from: that same friend
Scientists are trying to create aliens in labs!
It took some explaining to make it clear that, considering the sheer size of the universe, the chance is very high that there IS alien life, but we're not sure.

The second point was easier. If they're creating single-celled organisms on earth, they're hardly aliens, eh?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6376 on: September 11, 2013, 05:21:59 pm »

So somebody on tumblr tried to convince me that starving kids had thin privilege.
Edit: also, I found this gem on tumblr.txt: "Giving a random kid power just because he was chosen by god/the great wolf spirit, is exactly the same as invading a country." Apparently the OP was talking about Teen Wolf or some crap. The context does'nt matter, it's still really stupid.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:29:52 pm by Redzephyr01 »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: September 11, 2013, 05:26:16 pm »

So somebody on tumblr tried to convince me that starving kids had thin privilege.

What is this? The benefit of being super thin?

But that isn't even a privilege in all countries, quite a few would consider being fat "sexy" over being anorexic.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: September 11, 2013, 05:29:36 pm »

I don't know, tumblr says crazy stuff like this all the time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: September 11, 2013, 05:32:40 pm »

I don't know, tumblr says crazy stuff like this all the time.

Well if I ASSUME that the person isn't saying something stupid. I COULD interpret thin privilege to be a somewhat confusingly said statement that starving children have "few" privileges.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6380 on: September 11, 2013, 05:45:16 pm »

Not in the context they were using it in.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6381 on: September 11, 2013, 06:06:48 pm »

They were saying that starving kids were more privileged than people who were overweight.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6382 on: September 11, 2013, 06:13:28 pm »

In other news, I went on a small FSTDT sprint.
My brain hurts.
I've also been trawling through that site, recently.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6383 on: September 12, 2013, 04:51:07 am »

My grandmother suffered from terrible anxiety all the way through her life. She worried about everything [...]. She developed Alzheimer's Disease a few years ago and I'm convinced it's from a lifetime of anxiety and stress.
Judging from the fact that a lot of people, also such with a healthy stressless life, get Alzheimer's, I think that you are completely wrong on that conclusion as long as you don't have way more serious reasons. Correlation does not imply causility, and all that.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6384 on: September 12, 2013, 09:04:52 am »

Trying to dispute someone's grandmother's condition on the basis that you don't have enough data seems both insensitive and rather silly.
Please read ZetaX's post again. He at no point disputed her condition.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6385 on: September 12, 2013, 09:28:59 am »

Stress does mean things to the body and mind. Trying to dispute someone's grandmother's condition on the basis that you don't have enough data seems both insensitive and rather silly.

I don't consider it insensitive and silly, as cerapa said he's not disputing her condition. He's right to make that point. People get Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia without being stressed as he says, but I was wondering if a lifetime of stress and anxiety contributed to it. That's my gut feeling about it, I can't think of anything else she did that would single her out from other people her age. Alzheimer's seems to come from lots and lots of little things, maybe being very anxious all the time is one of them.

That said, to call me "completely wrong" because I don't have more evidence is a bit strong, considering scientists still don't know what causes the plaques to form and so forth.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:38:12 am by Owlbread »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: September 12, 2013, 12:42:18 pm »

considering scientists still don't know what causes the plaques to form and so forth.
Um, we kinda do. It's a failure/ mutation of several proteins. The reasons for their failure are varied.

I would however like to say that it might not be the stress/anxiety that's causing the conditions, but that there's an underlying psychological/genetical or other problem that is contributing to both conditions.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: September 12, 2013, 02:34:27 pm »

An underlying genetic condition, you say? It does seem to strike almost anybody if they live long enough. Those "varied reasons" by the way are what I'm trying to get at.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: September 12, 2013, 03:48:02 pm »

Quote from: Prequel Comment
i know u might ignore(or not see it at all) but i kinda want 1 of my skyrim charaters ingame,(his name is lokion ofc but u can make up a name if u dont like it),hes got blackish fur,right eye blue,left eye yellow,is pretty much oposite of katia except hes ofc a khajiit(hes a guy too),hes a rare type of people called “dreamwalkers” who are people who can go into dreams and let people into there dreams(where if he goes into katias where shes a kid,hes gonna be a kid too),he has a small mine north of anvil(optional) and hes got 15,267 septims(what my charater has in skyrim) and hes got armor and a weapon that CAN actualy work(UNLIKE THAT CRAPPY MACHETTE!!!),has the same problem as katia except that instead of KINGS its mudcrabs(and its ALOT more terrifying too…,more like a demonic crab that turns into prettymuch a demon of death and murder,probably 10x more scary than the king…),tho i bet u wont see this anyways even tho how BIG this rly is…,maybe can put him in if u decide to when shes at the dance competition(which i think katias gonna fail tho…) or on the way back to anvil
pleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejoking
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: September 12, 2013, 03:48:54 pm »

I couldn't even read the first line completely.
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 510