Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004452 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6900 on: October 18, 2013, 08:10:55 am »

Yup, the main argument is that considering the animal can give no consent, it's technically animal abuse.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: October 18, 2013, 08:14:54 am »

Apparently somebody in Colorado tried to marry a horse, but the judge ruled the animal was underage.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: October 18, 2013, 08:21:20 am »

You can violently murder them, skin them, and consume their flesh, without people batting an eyelash or asking if they want to be murdered, skinned, and ate (not that that would matter, as the laws generally disallow that even with consent, iirc), but frisky times come up and suddenly everyone's in jail. Consistency!

I'unno, it does sort of fit in with the general western trend of sex somehow being exponentially worse than violence...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: October 18, 2013, 08:27:15 am »

Not to mention that said "intercourse" often causes physical damage to animals, so yeah, it's definitely animal abuse.

You can violently murder them, skin them, and consume their flesh, without people batting an eyelash or asking if they want to be murdered, skinned, and ate (not that that would matter, as the laws generally disallow that even with consent, iirc), but frisky times come up and suddenly everyone's in jail. Consistency!

I'unno, it does sort of fit in with the general western trend of sex somehow being exponentially worse than violence...

You're not allowed to violently murder animals in progressive countries.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: October 18, 2013, 08:32:00 am »

... huh. I wasn't aware of any countries that have made blanket hunting bans. Got a list?
Ask not!
Ask!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: October 18, 2013, 08:32:40 am »

Not to mention that said "intercourse" often causes physical damage to animals, so yeah, it's definitely animal abuse.

interesting.

or is that not violent enough for your personal taste?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: October 18, 2013, 08:57:27 am »

... huh. I wasn't aware of any countries that have made blanket hunting bans. Got a list?
Funny thing, sometimes we can't always get the legislation we want (though quite a few focused laws--the international ban on whaling, the British ban on fox hunting, etc. have passed). Especially when you're in the U.S. and have to contend with the NRA.

S'like saying that Ponzi schemes should be legal because reckless speculation on the stock market hasn't been banned. Just because one form of harm still has public support doesn't mean that other forms of harm should be allowed. That aside, you're ignoring a hell of a lot of work that's gone into humanizing the meat industry, which may be just a tad more important than hunting bans when it comes to limiting harm.

(On a personal note, I don't particularly like it, because, put bluntly, animals aren't capable of consent. It's objectionable for the same reason that sex with children and the mentally handicapped is objectionable, albeit on a lesser level, given that they are, y'know, animals. Though there's also a difference between "dumb" animals [to use the stereotype, sheep] versus animals of human or near-human intelligence; in the latter case, I think that it's best to hedge bets and treat them as people who lack the ability or capacity to give consent.)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: October 18, 2013, 09:06:00 am »

THIS.  ALL OF MY THIS. 

You've never seen the inside of a slaughterhouse I take it?  Or what they do to all the male chicks in egg farms? 

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: October 18, 2013, 09:07:46 am »

interesting.

or is that not violent enough for your personal taste?
Most ritual slaughter is surprisingly non violent. In many instances the animals are stunned before the slaughter, but even unstunned the suffering is limited.

After all, it's a professional slaughterer who uses a single incision across the throat, cutting through all veins and arteries. IIRC, With such a blood loss, the animal looses consciousness within 30 seconds and often much sooner.

You've never seen the inside of a slaughterhouse I take it?  Or what they do to all the male chicks in egg farms? 
I have. Animals are either stunned using either electrics or gas, and then slaughtered. And while the treatment of male chicks might seem horrible, it's both efficient and causes little suffering. (A rapid spinning blender kills instantly. They don't see it coming.)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: October 18, 2013, 09:17:42 am »

Yeah, I gotta be honest, slaughterhouses are probably a lesser evil than any act of zoophilia that causes physical harm to the animal. They're fast, have standards to minimize inflicted pain, and produce food (which I rate as a more significant good than orgasms, in general). I can't really make a judgment call when the animal is physically fine, because I don't understand animal psychology at all. But... if we see meat as acceptable, a slaughterhouse that's compliant with the current standards is close to the morally optimal way of getting it. It's just very, very ugly, and I think that creates a lot of kneejerk reactions.

EDIT: About the worst it gets is kosher slaughter, since the animal is required to be aware at the time. In the absence of religious requirements, I believe the standard is to render the animal unconscious.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 09:19:17 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: October 18, 2013, 09:21:03 am »

Besides, slaughterhouses also have an economic reason to be animal friendly. Stress drastically reduces meat quality of a variety of animals. Porc in particular, but also others.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: October 18, 2013, 09:23:13 am »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: October 18, 2013, 09:23:58 am »

@ FD: Nah, that was a legit question. I'm aware that there's focused ones, but for violent murder to actually be banned it'd take a blanket hunting ban... meat industry, etc., so forth, so on.

The argument made usually doesn't hinge on harm*, though, but rather consent. It doesn't really matter how humane you make the meat industry (or anything involving quite a bit... pets, reserves, there's just this whole swath of massively consent violating activities we don't even blink at.) it's still necessarily violating the concept of consent -- further, it flies in the face of how we treat entities that can consent, because we don't legally allow people to let themselves be eaten... hunted, killed at all (though that is loosening a bit, in some situations), corralled into limited spaces (generally concentration camp/native reserve type things are fairly condemned, at least from what I've seen.), etc., so forth, so on. Hell, society in general (and most people) even frown on or intervene with pet-like interaction between humans. More involved there than just appeal to the numbers, but... yeah.

Which is why, if I were going to argue against zoophilia on a moral basis, I wouldn't be using consent as a basis for my argument. It's incredibly obvious we, as a species**, do not actually give a shit about whether animals do or do not give consent (or at least only care when it's not inconvenient :-\). S'why I have a minor compulsion to poke at the argument when it comes up, because it's almost painfully obvious those arguing from the position of consent are incredibly rarely doing so in good faith. They don't apply the heuristic even remotely consistently, and it's... annoying? I guess.

After all, it's a professional slaughterer who uses a single incision across the throat, cutting through all veins and arteries. IIRC, With such a blood loss, the animal looses consciousness within 30 seconds and often much sooner.
If that were done to a human, we'd still consider it fairly violent murder, in most situations :P

What's porc?
Pig. Swine. Pork. Porc.

*That's actually an easier one to make, but considerably more limited in potential scope. As scriv rightfully mentioned, cross species interaction of that sort can often lead to damage. Problem being for those wishing to universally condemn the practice is that not all interaction does, and if you were trying to stick to a consistent justification pattern you'd have to allow the edge cases.
** And from what I've seen it's an incredibly rare individual that actually consistently cares about consent.
Ask not!
Ask!

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: October 18, 2013, 09:28:12 am »

What's porc?
Pig. Swine. Pork. Porc.
I know what pork is, but but I didn't know what porc was. Or if there was a difference, or that porc was a real word.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: October 18, 2013, 09:36:40 am »

What's porc?
Pig. Swine. Pork. Porc.
I know what pork is, but but I didn't know what porc was. Or if there was a difference, or that porc was a real word.
It is. It's French though. If only English could be consistent while stealing other nations vocabulary.

Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 510