Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 452808 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #480 on: August 18, 2013, 08:36:49 pm »

Personally I tweaked the whole dip cost for peace thing. I don't understand why doing something like you explained would cost 1/4 of a tech level. It makes no practical sense why peace should require monarch points. There's nothing sillier than having to wait 3 years just to be able to ask for the peace you want.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #481 on: August 18, 2013, 08:43:24 pm »

Just successfully smashed the Ottomans with a large coalition. Even out numbered three to one they still won the majority of battles, what with their 115% discipline, better technology, and morale out the wizoo thanks to piety and prestige, plus poor tactics on the part of my AI allies, but we managed to wear them down eventually. It cost me 133 DIP power to make return a bunch of Hungarian cores though. It'd be nice if my fellow coalition members could have shared in some of that cost; it's kind of a disincentive to be the one to start a war against an agressive power.

No, just... no. It's already debilitating enough to be a junior partner in a coalition war. You can't declare peace, you don't get anything from it other than stopping the enemy, your war exhaustion can get arbitrarily high and get tons of revolts and you can't do shit about it, etc., and you could be the top nation of the pack but you're still a junior partner if any of the little guys starts some crap. In fact, I think it's only a matter of time until a common strategy is to enter a coalition with an enemy, DoW as soon as current treaties end, bleed your fellow coalition members dry, declare peace and then DoW each of the other members in turn now that they are husks of a nation with no soldiers, no money, no war enthusiasm and nothing to offer to other countries for an alliance. That is, unless it's already a thing. It's one of my biggest criticisms of coalitions, although the counterargument is obviously "If you don't like it, don't join it!"

Personally I tweaked the whole dip cost for peace thing. I don't understand why doing something like you explained would cost 1/4 of a tech level. It makes no practical sense why peace should require monarch points. There's nothing sillier than having to wait 3 years just to be able to ask for the peace you want.

I think it's because the peace he asked for was war more than what the CB allowed, meaning you have to have a lot more political sway to force it out of them. Alternatively, it's a penalty for asking so much. Unless that was actually a part of the CB, then I have no idea.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 18, 2013, 08:47:32 pm »

So basically paradox succeeded in making historically accurate coalitions.
Really, coalitions just take the place that bad boy used to, only more effective.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #483 on: August 18, 2013, 08:53:46 pm »

Really, coalitions just take the place that bad boy used to, only more effective.

I think you should still be able to peace out of coalitions with enough of a negative consequence.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 18, 2013, 10:18:32 pm »

Coalitions have two, massive, issues:
A: forming a coalition doesn't have requirements the way other diplomatic actions do; location, the culture of your fellow coalition members, relationships between anyone, none of it matters.  You could join a coalition against England as Korea if all you saw was a single English island, and be in a coalition with the major European countries.  Or join a coalition against someone smaller than you, or form a coalition with people you hate against someone you like.  Basically the option to join a coalition is just sort of floating out there independent of all the logic that makes the rest of the game run.

B:  They have ridiculous, artificial limits on diplomacy.  Me and others have raged enough about this, but a quick summary is that junior members of the coalition have no diplomatic choices at any point in the process, and the target of the coalition has no diplomatic options with them.  Coalitions are MORE unified than alliances in that sense, which is nonsensical.  There's also a lot of oddities and inconsistencies with what you risk by being a junior member.  If the war ends quickly, the only significant loss you risk is your army.  If the war goes on for a long time, your nation could be absolutely ruined in a manner completely outside your control, but you still couldn't lose anything to the peace deal.  At least in my experience.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 18, 2013, 10:27:21 pm »

Oh, yeah, coalitions as currently implemented definitely have problems, and the inability to negotiate seperatly in them should probably be changed. Also, if coalitions were on a continent by continent basis, that would fix the problems with people on opposite ends of the world forming coalitions.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 18, 2013, 10:29:12 pm »

I think it's because the peace he asked for was war more than what the CB allowed, meaning you have to have a lot more political sway to force it out of them. Alternatively, it's a penalty for asking so much. Unless that was actually a part of the CB, then I have no idea.

I think Dishonorable Scum actually gives a discount to return cores, though I might be misremembering that. At any rate the costs were kind of weird. Want 4 provinces returned to an exiting nation? 132 DIP points. Want 5 provinces released as completely new nations? 0 DIP points!
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 18, 2013, 10:36:04 pm »

The thing I hate about coalitions is you can't vassalize. I wanna vass someone but the leader of the coalition is the one who it targets and they are always like 350% warscore. And unlike Vicky2 you can't even cheat with yesman and shit because its hardcoded that an individual action can't go over warscore even if I can load a group of actions to 100000000million with cheats a 101% vassalize won't work. Not that I want to vassalize the coalition leader anyways.

In any case I got bored of Ireland so I started a game with a heavily buffed custom Ceylon. First goal is to take over India. Basically a new tech group I added with some powerful custom national ideas and a powerful new religion and new culture. I would never play a powerful Euro nation, or even Ireland with these buffs but for Ceylon is reasonable considering my goals and its fun to make alt history changes. I actually have a lot of trouble even with buffs due to money issues and the fact that all of India is a web of alliances. Only the powerful explorers and conquistadors I added because Ceylon had no fucking vision and I needed a way to break terra incognita allowed me to even take an indian OPM due to them being allied with the most powerful southern indian nation. And none of the other choices are any better.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 18, 2013, 10:56:09 pm »

I remember back in EU3 I dabbled in creating a mod that made all tech groups equal, but got distracted before I finished testing what happened if all tech groups had the same modifier to research speed (among other things, my laptop died).  It might be interesting to make a mod like that for EU4, although editing each country's units to be equal sounds like a massive pain in the ass.  Maybe in the short term I could give everyone the same unit types as England for testing purposes?  Also, disabling coalitions.  That sounds like a good mod.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 19, 2013, 12:58:58 am »

Well apparently you aren't allowed to set your starting nation tech to have a missionary, it kept crashing my game. I managed a new tech class, new religion, new government, new culture, and new national ideas for my fantasy Ceylon nation. All without more than 30 minutes of text file editing. Of course I had the invaluable assistance of TextCrawler, the most awesomest program ever invented for fiddling with file structures you know nothing about.

Even with all my amazing buffs its still extremely difficult to get a foothold on the subcontinent from my oversized island. In fact I wouldn't even have been able to without like 50 loans if not for Bahaminis leading a rebel supported assault on That Vdjar whatever country splitting of Maduria or w/e its called and take another 3rd of its provinces for itself.

Year internecine warfare!

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 19, 2013, 02:49:42 am »

Couldn't you just add the missionary to your national traditions?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 19, 2013, 08:08:08 am »

The thing I hate about coalitions is you can't vassalize. I wanna vass someone but the leader of the coalition is the one who it targets and they are always like 350% warscore. And unlike Vicky2 you can't even cheat with yesman and shit because its hardcoded that an individual action can't go over warscore even if I can load a group of actions to 100000000million with cheats a 101% vassalize won't work. Not that I want to vassalize the coalition leader anyways.

In any case I got bored of Ireland so I started a game with a heavily buffed custom Ceylon. First goal is to take over India. Basically a new tech group I added with some powerful custom national ideas and a powerful new religion and new culture. I would never play a powerful Euro nation, or even Ireland with these buffs but for Ceylon is reasonable considering my goals and its fun to make alt history changes. I actually have a lot of trouble even with buffs due to money issues and the fact that all of India is a web of alliances. Only the powerful explorers and conquistadors I added because Ceylon had no fucking vision and I needed a way to break terra incognita allowed me to even take an indian OPM due to them being allied with the most powerful southern indian nation. And none of the other choices are any better.
You can actually TAG XXX to change to them and accept any peace.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 19, 2013, 08:33:41 am »

First hotfix is out,

Here is the first hotfix to adress some of the most serious issues reported.

We have planned to push out a second hotfix, mostly with multiplayer focus, either later this week or very early next week depending on when we can test it enough to guarantee we nothing new is broken. Thanks for buying the game and thank your for your patience.

Also, this will not break your ironman saves.

Patch notes 1.1.1
------------------------
- Lots of localisation fixes (including the localised tutorials)
- Fixed crashes when failing to retrieve resolution (merged 8252)
- Hints and tutorial textboxes can now have scrollbars (fixes for too long text for non english)
- Sound are now disabled on standalone server.
- Chat now works with standalone server.
- Peasants' War more likely to end the longer it has been going on
- Peasants' War will not happen again for at least 10 years
- Fixed broken continent all trigger and fixed adding hidden modifiers.
- Jihad achievement should now work again
- African Power achievement should now work again
- Ruina Imperii achievement should now work again
- Correct version is now listed in serverbrowser
- Fixed crashes when failing to retrieve resolution
- Fixed issue with black areas on TI (bad/old graphics cards)
- Optimized mission and revolt risk alerts
- Optimized when we disable trees/terrain/water/borders
- Multiplayer lobby: Keep scrollbar position when a new server is added
- Fixed savegame lockup when having only one core
- Fixed white glow on Linux cursors
- Fixed some more broken localisations
- Religious rebels can no longer flip the Papacy's capital province
- Religious heathens breaking your country results in large prestige loss
- Religious rebels breaking the Papacy results in a stability loss
- MP: Renamed "Connect to IP" to "Connect to ID"
- MP: Version should now be correct in server browser
- Dx9: If we fail to determine refresh rate, default to 60
- Normal borderfriction now only applies if its the home territory bordering each other.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 19, 2013, 08:38:56 am »

They didn't even fix the Japan catholic horde bug? What the hell Paradox?

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 19, 2013, 10:08:25 am »

They did fix the map problems and the peasent war, which I think are probably bigger issues. They probably will get to it. You know, eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 216