Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 452803 times)

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #810 on: October 17, 2013, 12:02:51 am »

Anyone here about the combat fuckup in the latest patch? Combat modifiers don't work and so basically cav and cannons suck. Among other problems. Also no wonder my PLC is getting so screwed.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #811 on: October 17, 2013, 12:58:37 am »

More info about the combat modifier bug:

Quote from: hauptman
1.1 combat was fine. Everything worked as intended. 1.2 changed something. Someone left out a decimal or a number and it all went to hell. The "testers" only tested early game, as in they would start a new game to see the problem, see huge casualty rates, so they halved damage which made late game combat even worse.

So according to what Kongoman did, what happened is, in 1.2 infantry fire became a fixed 2 instead of the intended scaling modifier. since that number is simply a multiplier, no matter the erra, infantry did 4 times the damage of the roll. Early game when you have no tactics to offset damage, you Gibbed an army with a high roll. The infantry fire early game is supposed to quarter damage to offset this. Now in 1.2.2 they "halved" damage. So in effect they changed the bugged fixed number from a 2 to a 1. So the problem was still there. And when the fire rating should be higher late game (2) it is now at a fixed 1. so we saw much longer battles with dozens of casualties. As the modifier was supposed to offset the large number of pips and tactics.

I am asuming this works exactly the same for shock numbers and all unit types. I cant imagine they have a seperate line of code for those, and would have only made the mistake in 1 place.

So late game when artilery fire should be 4+, it remains a 1. Cavalry shock also gets upto the 4+ range. Also staying 1 the entire game. This in all is what killed late game casualty rates.

And as everyone seemed to notice, Mid game seemed to even out and be fine. That's because mid game, they are supposed to be at 1. when arty becomes available I'm pretty sure it starts with a 1 rating in the tech screen. It isnt until later techs that it's supposed to get bumped. tech 10 or so, pretty much all modifiers should list at or near 1 in the fire/shock modifiers in the tech screen, and as such combat was perfectly fine.
Source
The OP of that thread has the research, and the following pages have more research that validates that the weapon modifiers from tech levels and combat ability modifiers do not work at all.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:16:13 am by Chaoswizkid »
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: October 19, 2013, 07:58:32 pm »

MEIOU & Taxes has been released. It's a bit unstable at the moment, though. Stable version to be coming tomorrow.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 19, 2013, 08:26:07 pm »

It will also probably make me laptop want to kill itself.

I will wait until I get a new pc :P

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #814 on: October 20, 2013, 02:33:00 am »

And I have conquered Tuscany and laid claim to the Glorious Country of Italy.
Italy is now formed.
Rise, my patriots, rise!
(Because, for some strange reason, I also managed to assimilate Wurtemburg and go from there)
And when the dust settles, I will be Emperor again!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 20, 2013, 12:22:19 pm »

Please tell me the united Italy has an empire form of government. Can't be having an empire without emperor!

Actually what is that government type anyway, I noticed it in Asia once or twice but have no idea how it works.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #816 on: October 20, 2013, 01:19:31 pm »

Have just passed the Landgriefke mark (or something like that) internal wars in the HRE are out.
I have also kicked France's ass for the FIRST TIME.
DO YOU HEAR ME FRENCHMEN!? VIVE LA REVOLUTION is done! Now is the Era of Glorious Italy! We punch the Ottomans, we feast on your French flesh! We devour the infidels!
All Hail Italy!
//Nationalistic Rant done//
Unfortunately, Italy (Savoy) is a monarchy...I did kick the Revolutionary down, (Aiming at enlightened Monarchy) but I wonder when I'll reach the 'Unite the Empire' mark, if it will become the 'Holy Roman Empire' once more. (Ps, Italy gets a nice 10% to Imperial Authority, because we are the TRUE emperors!)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 20, 2013, 01:53:45 pm »

Ladies and gents, I present the Global French Empire, year 1600.
Spoiler: Warning, Large (click to show/hide)
The Red arrows show my Colonial paths, and the Green Circles show my vassals. This is my first game of EU4. All I have to say is, Colonial Expansion CB is OP, and Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do next?

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: October 20, 2013, 03:45:31 pm »

Is it Spain in the British Isles ? Also, you don't even have the French Region (vassalize Burgundy in a war and diplo annex them later). You might want to dismantle/weaken the HRE too.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 20, 2013, 04:13:25 pm »

Is it Spain in the British Isles ? Also, you don't even have the French Region (vassalize Burgundy in a war and diplo annex them later). You might want to dismantle/weaken the HRE too.
No. That's Scotland. Good ideas though.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: October 22, 2013, 04:46:34 pm »

Oh man.

This looks awesome, but I don't want to spent £35 on it.

I'll get it when it's on sale, I guess.

Btw, with all my love to EU3, EU4 *even now* is a better game.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 22, 2013, 06:09:32 pm »

Oh man.

Not sure how many people would agree with you, but I would. I just really wish World Conquers weren't so impossible.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: October 22, 2013, 08:15:26 pm »

Anyone here about the combat fuckup in the latest patch? Combat modifiers don't work and so basically cav and cannons suck. Among other problems. Also no wonder my PLC is getting so screwed.

Did this get fixed yet?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 22, 2013, 08:50:23 pm »

Did this get fixed yet?

Nope, not yet.

I'm honestly not sure how much issue there is though. Half of the issue is apparently "WAD", in the sense that weapon modifiers and such only apply if you're actually fighting someone of a different tech, which the combat tests didn't capture.

But jury seems to be out on whether the combat ability modifiers are actually broken or not.

Either way, combat is slated to get rebalanced in 1.3

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 22, 2013, 09:01:47 pm »

Oh man.

Not sure how many people would agree with you, but I would. I just really wish World Conquers weren't so impossible.
Yeah, I'm holding off until something changes so that things aren't so terrible for anyone who wants a legitimate land empire instead of a trade/colonial one. Even keeping up with real world ottoman expansion through the 16th century is a chore because of how angry the game mechanics get at you. Combine that with the impossibility of holding any land that's not cored and how easy and clearly beneficial it is to convert every province and it becomes not terribly fun.
Once overextension is based on proportion and not a flat value masquerading as a percentage I'll be excited for the game again.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 216