Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451557 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1155 on: April 24, 2014, 09:14:41 pm »

Well how ELSE would players be forced to know the terror that is the big blue blob?

But yeah, kinda retarded concept.

Although I guess it would make the few scenarios that DON'T go "according to plan" all the more special.

But then again, how the hell did they go from SUNSET INVASION levels of "I don't give anything resembling a fuck about history" to "EVERYTHING MUST PLAY OUT THE SAME FOREVER."

EDIT: Actually now I think about it, they MAY be trying to reign in the alt-histories so they have less work to do for HOI or whatever the next one in the series is.
Would be kinda hard to figure out how the worlds Nazi era would go down with The Fylkirate in the north, the Zorastrian Empire in the East AND random SuperAztecs from the west.
And if Africa became a supernation then suddenly all bets are off....
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:18:16 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: April 24, 2014, 09:20:35 pm »

What?

They have Victoria in the middle, bro.

There's nothing resembling fascism or communism in Europa Universalis...

All the set-up for a World War 2 scenario is in Victoria-era, not in the EU era.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: April 24, 2014, 09:33:27 pm »

But then again, how the hell did they go from SUNSET INVASION levels of "I don't give anything resembling a fuck about history" to "EVERYTHING MUST PLAY OUT THE SAME FOREVER."

Lucky nations were a thing before and after CK2 I believe.

Anyway. I in general like lucky nations. I mean, maybe not having a iron man mode without lucky nations is the wrong choice, but I can understand them wanting the controlled achievement getting mode, which is what iron man appears to be to me. It seems like a bit of a minor thing.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: April 25, 2014, 12:50:30 am »

What?

They have Victoria in the middle, bro.

There's nothing resembling fascism or communism in Europa Universalis...

All the set-up for a World War 2 scenario is in Victoria-era, not in the EU era.

And all the set up for Victorian era is in EU era, and all the set up for the EU era is in CK2, therefore, if the whole world goes crazy in CK2 or EU4...

Shit gonna be fucked by the time HOI rolls around.

Just imagine it, Aztecs have a foothold in Europe, Fylkirate rules the top half of the map, Zoarastrians are in charge from Greece to India, the last bastion of Christianity is Cathar AFRICA,  and Japan colinized Australia.

I mean, I personally love crazy alt-history shenanigans, but from a developer perspective what do you even DO with a crazy alt-world like that?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:53:05 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: April 25, 2014, 12:55:59 am »

You tell the converter to take a country that's been beaten down like Germany was, with irredentism and a failing economy, and turn it into a Nazi Germany analog. Helpful if they've already gotten a Fascist party in power in Vicky2.

Like that Cathar Africa. Turn it into the last crusade, taking Europe back from the pagans.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:58:19 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: April 25, 2014, 01:00:04 am »

You tell the converter to take a country that's been beaten down like Germany was, with irredentism and a failing economy, and turn it into a Nazi Germany analog. Helpful if they've already gotten a Fascist party in power in Vicky2.

Well that can be interesting, but I mean event wise and such. Paradox is good at the "developer thinks of everything" trope, with special events like "norse sacrificing an Aztec during a blot" and the silly things like Aragon wanting to go to Gondar. Makes you wonder how many scenarios they can predict.

Indeed, I do this.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: April 25, 2014, 01:21:48 am »

Meh, I don't think those two examples are too special. Aztecs meeting Norse is something that, considering the Aztecs can conquer massive amounts of territory, and the Norse can survive in Great Britain some times, is easily within the realm of possibility. Aragon wanting to go to Gondar is just a joke mission and is not actually the devs thinking ahead of time. If it were an event without a mission, yes that would definitely be a good example. But as a mission? No.

Also, fun trivia about that mission: It's actually a very old one from EU3. Truefax.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:24:26 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: April 25, 2014, 01:25:38 am »

I seriously doubt there's any plans for them to build a save converter for HOI4.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: April 25, 2014, 03:51:13 am »

I seriously doubt there's any plans for them to build a save converter for HOI4.
If I know the Paradox community (and I don't, TBH) someone definitely has those plans.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: April 25, 2014, 09:32:50 am »

If I know the Paradox community (and I don't, TBH) someone definitely has those plans.
Yes, but Paradox has no responsibility to maintain a save converter designed by modders, so we wouldn't expect them to create events for such an eventuality.  I don't believe Paradox Interactive has any intention of building a save converter to translate from Victoria 2/3 to HOI4. 

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: April 25, 2014, 09:46:22 am »

I don't believe Paradox Interactive has any intention of building a save converter to translate from Victoria 2/3 to HOI4.

THERE IS NO FAIC SAD ENOUGH TO EXPRESS MY DISAPPOINT.

Indeed, I do this.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: April 25, 2014, 10:20:39 am »

Aragon wanting to go to Gondar is just a joke mission and is not actually the devs thinking ahead of time.
There's apparently 2 of these. "Become King of Gonder" and "Defeat Saruhan". I think that makes Aragon the Dolan of the EU universe.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: April 25, 2014, 10:37:20 am »

It's also a play balance issue for achievements. For instance "Overthrow Austria and become Emperor of the HRE". Without Lucky Nations, you'd just need to play through a couple of times until Austria gets some god-awful 1/1/1 leader for a while or a run of bad events.

No, it's hardly about "balance" for achievements. To begin with, Lucky Nations long predates the implementation of achievements. More importantly the interaction you're arguing for is just so tangential and marginal that it's just not a plausible argument. Lucky Nations does little to nothing to stop the player from defeating a lucky AI nation. It just means that in contests between the AI, the lucky nations will almost always win. The AI's ability to plan and fight wars is so poor that lucky nations is basically irrelevant.

For another thing most of the achievements have nothing to do with lucky nations at all. Achievements to somehow defeat or subdue lucky nations specifically are pretty rare. And for things like World Conquest or The Three Mountains, lucky nations are irrelevant compared to coalitions, overextension, core timers, etc.

Lucky Nations are a stupid holdover from previous EU games that really have no place in the current design, which takes many more cues from the success of CK2 and will hopefully go farther in that direction by making non-European countries more interesting to play.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: April 25, 2014, 11:39:17 am »

No, it's hardly about "balance" for achievements. To begin with, Lucky Nations long predates the implementation of achievements.

Right. But is anyone here seriously saying that having the option for lucky nations is a bad thing? I thought the only serious arguments against it were caused by the fact that ironman, the achievement getting mode, locks it in. So yeah, saying that it's there for balance for achievements seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Lucky Nations does little to nothing to stop the player from defeating a lucky AI nation. It just means that in contests between the AI, the lucky nations will almost always win. The AI's ability to plan and fight wars is so poor that lucky nations is basically irrelevant.

Anyway, I don't play EU4, just EU3 (I mean, I have played EU4, but then I went back to EU3). So maybe something has change that I did not notice? In EU3 saying that lucky nations always win is totally untrue. It's not even that huge of a advantage. Now, perhaps something in the balanced has changed between 3 and 4, but looking it up the bonuses from being lucky don't really seem to be that much more. And I sorta am doubting the game is different enough for it to actually matter THAT much.

Also it seems a little disingenuous to say that the lucky bonus is huge enough that in a AI vs AI fight the lucky AI almost always win, and in the next sentence and paragraph go on about how the lucky bonus means so little. I'm not sure what you even think about lucky nations, whether they are too strong or too weak. (Although I would guess by the fact that you seem to dislike it having a effect on your game you think it is too strong?)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: April 25, 2014, 11:43:31 am »

He think that it is too strong, but not strong enough to compensate for the dismal AI.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 216