Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451558 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1725 on: November 22, 2014, 05:31:46 pm »

If you're experiencing weirdness with how the troop movement works, you can hold the shift key to make a better route manually. Extremely useful for having them take a route that isn't just the calculated fastest. Also incredibly nice for exploring oceans, since you can pre-plan a route where they discover some ocean tiles, maybe loop around a bunch off the coast to discover some provinces, and then return to a port without having to worry about forgetting the ship later.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: November 22, 2014, 06:36:11 pm »

Graphics settings shouldn't affect simulation speed.

Do you have a very old processor or something?
Yes, AMDX2 with 2.2ghz. Graphics settings do affect simulation speed because it has to calculate, whereas it's not as heavy on the graphics department. I used to turn off things like Trees to gain a speed during the days my computer was running more sluggish before ArtOfWar, but yes, it's best to wait.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: November 22, 2014, 09:28:26 pm »

I've been doing a lot of vassalization lately, and am realizing that it may be impossible to vassalize heathens as an orthodox country. Can anyone confirm this or offer a possible way to at least diplo-annex them after a forced vassalization?

Also, should I even annex all them? I have a lot of vassal buffs and extra diplomatic relations.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: November 22, 2014, 10:28:30 pm »

Diplo-vassalisating a heathen without a royal marriage (non-christians only) will be incredibly hard without a bunch of +dip rep bonuses. However if you can force vassalise a nation then you can always integrate them. Protectorates obviously don't apply there.

Deciding whether to integrate a vassal or not weigh on a lot of factors. One of the main reasons not to integrate is to create a buffer between you and another power (marches are great for this). Also if the land is primarily different culture/religion the vassal state will be able to get more out of the land than you can.
However vassals do not contribute trade power which is a massive issue for trade focused nations. Vassal fees are also a poultry base 10% which is basically nothing, if you want more dosh but don't mind investing in the land a bit then annexation is a decent bet. Vassals also take up a diplo-slot so having a bunch of small minors as vassals is generally not recommended.

There's other stuff to consider like trying to create and feed a military vassal (like Brandenburg) to destroy your enemies. I'm fond of doing this in different continents (like playing in Asia and vassalising Perm) so I can often forget about that front and let my vassal(s)/allies deal with it.
Vassal feeding as a means of expansion is as powerful as it has ever been in EU4. Remember however that provinces that are integrated start at 75% local autonomy (unless you have claims) so it can be a bit of time for those provinces to start producing.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: November 23, 2014, 12:31:32 am »

Isn't integration only for personal unions? How do you integrate through a vassal?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: November 23, 2014, 02:26:25 am »

Integrate and diplo-annex are interchangeable (even the console command is "integrate"). Diplo-annex sounds a bit silly so I try not to use it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: November 23, 2014, 03:03:09 am »

Odd, it seems that the modifiers for -1000 "different religious group" disappears at some point for some reason, and thankfully you seem to be able to go over the 100 relations cap with improving relations with vassals.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: November 23, 2014, 07:18:01 am »

Could that be related to how, similarly, crusades stop being a thing at some point?
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: November 23, 2014, 12:08:10 pm »

Austria and Brandenburg, you fucking idiots.

A coalitation of the biggest countries in the HRE smash their armies against my defensive attrition and walk around in stacks way above the supply limit without managing to siege anything. You might think that it would a cause for celebration? Well, wrong. Cause France is doing its thing and just attacked an Austria that has 0 manpower.

Fuck, now I gotta find a way to break France.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: November 23, 2014, 12:11:42 pm »

Austria and Brandenburg, you fucking idiots.

A coalitation of the biggest countries in the HRE smash their armies against my defensive attrition and walk around in stacks way above the supply limit without managing to siege anything. You might think that it would a cause for celebration? Well, wrong. Cause France is doing its thing and just attacked an Austria that has 0 manpower.

Fuck, now I gotta find a way to break France.
If you have France as a rival, you can get a lot of power projection by releasing nations. Especially if they've absorbed Spain. The horror... :P
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: November 24, 2014, 04:18:31 am »

*shudders* I'm dealing with France currently in my Byzantium game. France was so unstoppable that it just kept building more units as they got killed and eventually wiped out everyone else (including massive Austria who ate massive Poland and brought half the HRE and Spain into war against France with it). And they would always attack when Austria was helping me with my wars (they decided they needed 100000 men to help capture a broken country's provinces, letting France walk all over everything else). But finally I ate the Mediterranean and got a strong enough navy to destroy France's and even though they did the whole "never ending manpower" thing and ran everyone dry of their own manpower, they ended up admitting defeat and ceding......a single province.

Hopefully next time I will be able to completely blockade them and attack the shores with transports.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: November 24, 2014, 04:22:54 am »

*shudders* I'm dealing with France currently in my Byzantium game. France was so unstoppable that it just kept building more units as they got killed and eventually wiped out everyone else (including massive Austria who ate massive Poland and brought half the HRE and Spain into war against France with it). And they would always attack when Austria was helping me with my wars (they decided they needed 100000 men to help capture a broken country's provinces, letting France walk all over everything else). But finally I ate the Mediterranean and got a strong enough navy to destroy France's and even though they did the whole "never ending manpower" thing and ran everyone dry of their own manpower, they ended up admitting defeat and ceding......a single province.

Hopefully next time I will be able to completely blockade them and attack the shores with transports.
Is why I am glad Francia almost never forms when I do my my CKII-EUIV-VicII MegaGames.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: November 24, 2014, 12:53:42 pm »

That's weird, in all my games so far in this version France has gotten checked or wrecked by Burgundy or Austria (after they get most of Burgundy by event).

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: November 24, 2014, 12:59:43 pm »

Even without lucky nations bonuses I have to keep them in check personally every single time or France just eats its neighbours like if it were year 1805. And even when I do that France may just insta-inherit half the Italy as happened last time.

I think its the combination of superb national ideas, massive base tax, and France having a sea at its back instead of being surrounded from most directions like most are.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 216