Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451635 times)

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1755 on: December 09, 2014, 07:44:07 pm »

Threw up a new Savoy campaign because patch killed my other one.
Dismembered Switzerland early on with Burgundy, Baden and Milan. All they have now is Bern, which I'm taking whenever the current truce expires.
When the Burgundy ruler died this time we got into a PU that dragged me and half the HRE into a war against Provence and all those modern-Spain Iberian folks.
Settled the war fairly early because that hit on my monies and all I could do was sit and watch Austria steamroll everybody since France didn't want either Burgundy or me going through their territory.
Now I'm sitting on a PU with a country that is some 4 times stronger than me, a tad broke and with France as a rival.

The strategy section on EU4wiki says I should vassal Milan early on, but I can never get that to unfold. Their tax and military always put tons of negatives on me.

Overall, still no idea what I'm doing. Victoria may be quite obtuse on its internals, but it's fairly straightforward to just pick and play. EU is just like what the how do those tech trees work and what is that idea stuff and how does trade work and why can't I ever make money and slow, really slow.

Haven't Vicky'd yet, but EU IV is a lot simpler than either CK2 or HOI3, IMO. For me it's actually pretty straight-forward as well, though I'll find some interesting things from time to time watching Quill18 or Arumba on Youtube play.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: December 09, 2014, 09:47:30 pm »

Damn, I came home to a patch that reduced my administrative efficiency from 50% to 25%, pushing my 90% OE up to a dangerous 135%.  Between that and the trading changes, my peacetime monthly income dropped from +80/month to -25/month.  I'm debating playing through it, or sitting on the save to see if they revert some of what they did with this patch.
Well, you might be sitting on that a while if you do plan on waiting, though they might never revert their changes. I don't see any good reason to wait to continue a game 40 years from finishing, honestly.

The strategy section on EU4wiki says I should vassal Milan early on, but I can never get that to unfold. Their tax and military always put tons of negatives on me.
When reading the wiki I suggest looking for the version of the game the strategy was written for. Some information is out of date, sometimes by several versions, and thus probably isn't still correct. For example, the version the Savoy page was written for was apparently 1.4, while the current version is 1.9. That's far before Art of War, Res Republica, and I believe even Wealth of Nations.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: December 09, 2014, 10:59:31 pm »

I'm waiting because I'd rather not throw away a rare achievement to what could be a botched patch, when there might be a hotfix to correct bugs coming down in just a couple days.

A few things feel off about the patch, rebellions appear to advance at incredible speeds.  I had Portuguese patriots developing from 2 islands that had about 5% unrest, and they were on track to go from 0 to 100% in 0.8 years.  Harsh treatment could give you a month or two of relief max.  Recently conquered territory with full nationalism had 75% chance of advancing 20% every month.(currently at 30% with 0.3 years until a revolt breaks out)  From everything I've read they then spawn full stacks in every province. 

If this is the new normal its just a default revolt every 20 years for all non accepted cultures/religions, especially if you take any war exhaustion.

Taking a look at the numbers right now i'm getting the following:

starting with 0 revolt progress

1 province with 1% unrest = 11.2 years until revolt
2 provinces with 1% unrest = 5.6 years until revolt
3 provinces with 1% unrest = 3.7 years until revolt
12 provinces with 1% unrest = 1 year until revolt

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, with the added overextenison I got from 25 administrative efficiency vanishing, my entire country is going to spend the next decade erupting into 20-30k stacks of rebels in every province.  By the time i've actually marched my armies back and forth to kill every stack, my manpower is going to be shot, and the recent uprising debuff is going to wear off, and it will all start over again.  My hope is that this isn't what paradox intended.  If it is, i'll need to take some extremely drastic measures to try to salvage the game, like giving back half of the provinces i've recently captured.  In the meantime I'm happy to play other things, or try additional EU4 playthroughs.

Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: December 10, 2014, 12:46:17 am »

Completely skip this patch until the hotfix is out (or perhaps even a new version number). Paradox has an annoying habit of trying to stop exploits extremely heavy handily. Often gutting features, advanced tactics and introducing more bugs than they fix.
I suggest rolling back to 1.8 for the time being by opting into the "beta".

All fault, naturally, lies on Johann who brings plague and pestilence to all that he touches. Cursed are all projects of PDS.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: December 10, 2014, 02:22:14 am »

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUu GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMEEEEE.

All my good leaders are dieing while heirs or before even 5 years of rule, while all me 0-1-2 leaders are living to the age of forever. I swear there is some behind the scenes shit going on here.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: December 10, 2014, 03:38:57 am »

I'm waiting because I'd rather not throw away a rare achievement to what could be a botched patch, when there might be a hotfix to correct bugs coming down in just a couple days.

A few things feel off about the patch, rebellions appear to advance at incredible speeds.  I had Portuguese patriots developing from 2 islands that had about 5% unrest, and they were on track to go from 0 to 100% in 0.8 years.  Harsh treatment could give you a month or two of relief max.  Recently conquered territory with full nationalism had 75% chance of advancing 20% every month.(currently at 30% with 0.3 years until a revolt breaks out)  From everything I've read they then spawn full stacks in every province. 

If this is the new normal its just a default revolt every 20 years for all non accepted cultures/religions, especially if you take any war exhaustion.

Taking a look at the numbers right now i'm getting the following:

starting with 0 revolt progress

1 province with 1% unrest = 11.2 years until revolt
2 provinces with 1% unrest = 5.6 years until revolt
3 provinces with 1% unrest = 3.7 years until revolt
12 provinces with 1% unrest = 1 year until revolt

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, with the added overextenison I got from 25 administrative efficiency vanishing, my entire country is going to spend the next decade erupting into 20-30k stacks of rebels in every province.  By the time i've actually marched my armies back and forth to kill every stack, my manpower is going to be shot, and the recent uprising debuff is going to wear off, and it will all start over again.  My hope is that this isn't what paradox intended.  If it is, i'll need to take some extremely drastic measures to try to salvage the game, like giving back half of the provinces i've recently captured.  In the meantime I'm happy to play other things, or try additional EU4 playthroughs.
The 1.0 Victorian rebels STRIKE AGAIN!

I fully expect AIs empires to be covered in rebels completely.
._.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: December 10, 2014, 06:12:39 am »

--Science--
So that explains the incredibly angry Waldstättians I had this time around. Thought it was something I had done. We Victoria now.

When reading the wiki I suggest looking for the version of the game the strategy was written for. Some information is out of date, sometimes by several versions, and thus probably isn't still correct. For example, the version the Savoy page was written for was apparently 1.4, while the current version is 1.9. That's far before Art of War, Res Republica, and I believe even Wealth of Nations.
I feel so dumb now. Thanks. Guess it's back to freeing and then vassalizing Corsica then.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: December 12, 2014, 12:13:28 am »

Seems like they tweaked unrest a bit in the recent hotfixes, it looks like my provinces all had an extra 5% unrest in them that was causing all my factions to start their revolt timer.  I was able to reduce my overextension without setting myself too far back by creating pomerania as a vassal, and selling off some of my recent gains.  I played 5 more years, and took on ottomans and GB, and took the provinces I need from them.  I'm going to pick off a couple small wars as I get myself set up for a big land war against austria, while my navy takes on Portugal ( the last other naval power).  I'm down to needing 19 provinces from 10 countries in 35 years.  I did manage to get spain back as an ally, so hopefully they'll help me beat up on austria, I just need them to finish their war with france first.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: December 12, 2014, 05:57:34 pm »

Agreed. They try to make war less appealing but there isn't much stuff to do in peace - basically build stuff and do diplo, but even that's limited due to relationship slots.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: December 12, 2014, 06:51:59 pm »

Then when you're done warring, the game penalises you like crazy. 'Lose all your monarch points, lose stability like mad, revolts, the works because you're a warmongering shit!'

If you're over 100% overextension, you'll get some unusually awful events like that over and over until you reduce it (more frequently the more overextended you are). Might just be a string of bad luck otherwise.

Personally, one of things I'll do if I'm sick of RNG is go through and ctrl+h out all the shitty 'add_stability = -1' event choices in the random events files. Being able to lose stability at any time for no reason sets off this nervous tick where it's like, "why ever improve it if I'm just going to lose it constantly to BS events anyway?" I dunno, I find that change in particular much more relaxing, even though stability isn't even that important.

One of the other things to do that isn't war is manipulating trade, which can be fun sometimes. I agree completely though, if they're going to put the brakes on war constantly, there should be more things to do.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: December 13, 2014, 01:11:24 am »

0/1/2 leader as an heir, I make him a war leader and he dies. Start to westernize, old king dies and I'm expecting a regency council, but instead A new king appears and guess what? 1/0/2....during westernization..... I am 100% convinced that there is code in this game to make things go bad for you when you are doing good.

Also, I had a peasants war disaster start which really screwed with me, however it seemed to fire when it was only ~35/100. Is it a percent chance that they are going to fire?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: December 13, 2014, 01:23:50 am »

Y'know, I'm beginning to find some design decisions annoying.

Peacetime needs more things to do, but they never add anything, being at war drops stability, monarch points and stuff, but so does peace. Then when you're done warring, the game penalises you like crazy. 'Lose all your monarch points, lose stability like mad, revolts, the works because you're a warmongering shit!'
That's the result if you're building a gameplay revolving around "noob-traps" and "punishing the player for everything not directly intended by the developer".

They could've done the opposite and start promoting the weak parts, but because of ABSOLUTELY STUPID "MP > SP" DECISION all peacetime activity cannot take too much time, or the MP players will throw a fit due to inability to micromanage both war and peace activities at the same time.

EU4 is still not a good MP game, by the way.
._.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: December 13, 2014, 01:29:25 am »

Blargh, I think my Norwegian wood game is lost, Austria joined a Coalition with Commonwealth while I was trying to fight for the last two portugal naval supplies, they declared on me, and spain broke their alliance rather than join me.  Needless to say it quickly became me vs the world.  I managed to finagle a peace deal that only cost me about 6 naval supplies, but I don't think i'll have time left to get those back, plus what I have left.  I got to within 16 provinces of the achievement,  I'll probably still play it out, see if I somehow inherit spain or something.  I really need the AI to break each other up a bit, but I don't see it happening.

The frustrating part is that I actually managed to pin down about 300k of their armies on the danish straights and the island in livonia, but overlooked a breton fleet that snuck into the baltic and freed them up.

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: December 13, 2014, 03:25:55 am »

0/1/2 leader as an heir, I make him a war leader and he dies. Start to westernize, old king dies and I'm expecting a regency council, but instead A new king appears and guess what? 1/0/2....during westernization..... I am 100% convinced that there is code in this game to make things go bad for you when you are doing good.

Also, I had a peasants war disaster start which really screwed with me, however it seemed to fire when it was only ~35/100. Is it a percent chance that they are going to fire?
Well if you're Poland I think it only gives you bad 'heirs' that have bad stats, yet high claim and shit. Whereas your good ones, the actual Polish one has good stats but a weak claim.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: December 16, 2014, 08:17:01 pm »

I need help figuring out what the hell just happened.

I declare war on a small East African country who is allied with someone further south on the coast, but otherwise no land access points, I start to carpet siege their provinces, and then suddenly a stack of 8 guys from their allies just appear and start fighting one of my small sieging armies. I have 2 provinces sight in all directions, they don't have military access with anyone, and they only have 2 transports. I did not see any army approach, just appear.

I have no idea what is going on, did paradox give armies the ability to teleport? I think they did that to rebels.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 216