Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 451615 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1860 on: January 19, 2015, 05:16:10 am »

So would the optimal composition be enough artillery to fill the back row, then X infantry and X/2 cavalry?

I've hear people say that you only need a few cavalry on the sides to flank, but why not max out the cavalry since they are stronger then infantry? Also, can't you have say.....2:3 cavalry to infantry and still get the flanking bonus?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: January 19, 2015, 05:48:39 am »

It's a bit dubious to say cavalry are better.

In the early game they're by far the best unit since they get massive shock multipliers and infantry pips/modifiers are awful. They're limited by cost however since the early game tends to lack disposable money.

Forward to the mid game and cav start to be outpaced by infantry/artillery due to the big increases in both fire pips and fire modifiers.
The important thing to remember about fire/shock is that the fire phase is always first. This means that cavalry units do pretty pitiful in the first phase and tend to be ripped to shreds before they can do the massive damage in the shock phase.

The other important thing to remember (especially for western tech) is that armies can only support a certain ratio of horses to infantry. When this ratio is not met the army takes a massive hit in tactics. Since infantry tend to sit on the middle of the rank while calvary sit on the sides it can be very easy to get the tactics malus in a cavalry heavy army without constant reinforcements.

There are times when you want to stray away from the golden rule, usually with ROTW nations or nations that have cavalry bonuses (Poland). Even then you'd still want a decent sprinkling of infantry in there and you always want to have a full back row of cannons once the technology is decent enough for them.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: January 19, 2015, 05:49:11 am »

Well, cavalry is more expensive. So why pay for cavalry if you can have infantry?

Also, you get a malus if you have too much cavalry: 2:3 is ok, but if some of your infantry takes a beating, you might find yourself with too much cavalry.

I usually have as much infantry as artillery, and then 4 or 6 cavalry units.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: January 19, 2015, 06:35:49 am »

I usually stick to 4-6 cavalry regiments per army as well, unless I'm playing a nomad with free reinforcing and dat 100% cav ratio. There's a major transition in army composition that happens when necessary army size outpaces combat width. When armies are smaller, cavalry get to flank constantly as the loser's army shrinks. But later when you're getting in a light scuffle with 80 french regiments, it's more of a meatgrinder effect where infantry are replaced constantly and the cavalry never get an opportunity to flank, and cavalry are definitely a lot less useful given their cost.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: January 19, 2015, 10:22:29 am »

One interesting little strategy I've heard about but never bothered to try is to have an entire combat width of cavalry and artillery with no infantry in one army, then have an accompanying army with tones of infantry. So the first army engages and the second army engages one day after the first one. This results in a full combat width of cavalry (mostly) without supply problems.
Not entirely sure if its actually useful, but an interesting thought nonetheless.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: January 20, 2015, 04:45:50 am »

geez, if you guys want power and don't care about cost just do two rows arty

bonus points for doing it as smolensk

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: January 20, 2015, 05:08:50 am »

Except for the fact artillery take double damage on the front lines and have terrible defencive pips.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: January 20, 2015, 05:47:02 am »

Use panzers. That'd teach'em!
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: January 20, 2015, 09:57:02 am »

Spoiler: Send help! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:58:33 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: January 20, 2015, 09:58:27 am »

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to see here.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: January 20, 2015, 10:01:07 am »

Mein-Gott-land?  I'm not sure, but isn't that just patriot rebels being weird? 

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: January 20, 2015, 10:05:19 am »

Historical lucky nations are on and I've had nothing to do with the current proceedings in the north.
Poland also lost the union. Austria turned reformed (likely due to religious rebels?) and lost the emperorship. Novgorod ate Muscovy. Catholics won the 30 years war putting a two province minor Hesse on the throne.

The only lucky countries that managed to survive is France (blobbing as usual) and Ottomans who are pushing just past the Balkans.

EDIT: New expansion for EU4 announced.
It looks pretty meh.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:32:46 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: January 20, 2015, 11:08:43 am »

EDIT: New expansion for EU4 announced.
It looks pretty meh.
Was just gonna comment on it. And yes, completely meh. The Tordesillas mechanic is the only thing I see real potential in.
The rest sounds quite comical. Blood sacrifices, Eldorado and even the faint possibility of carving up your own shintoist wonderland in the mediterranean islands, really?  :P

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: January 20, 2015, 11:15:10 am »

I suppose the usual suspects have been pestering Paradox for a Mesoamerican expansion ever since Conquest of Paradise's new tribal mechanics were revealed to not be affecting anything south of the Rio Grande (at least, at that time), so it was rather inevitable.  I wonder how well Treasure Fleets will be implemented, though, and specifically how much of an effect going Sea Beggar on them will have.  It's probably not something I'll feel the need to pick up anytime soon, though.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: January 20, 2015, 12:16:37 pm »

I'm trying not to prejudge the expansion since AoW made me eat my cynicism harshly. Yet I just can't shake the feeling this is going to be CoP 2.0.

The features they're adding seem extremely gimmicky/gamey and I doubt they're going to change the inherent mechanical problems with current colonising. I have completely no interest in the nation designer which (if judging by the CK2 ruler designer) will likely be awful.

More mechanics ROTW nations is great (although I doubt it's even near what modders have done with events alone) but I personally hate playing the new world nations since after the initial (easy) blobbing it basically becomes a tedious colony race with yourself before Europeans come and you try to rush westernation before they crush you.
I would have much prefered to see an Asian DLC (far east or horde) since that area is frankly in a disgusting state.

I'm also a bit worried that the DLC will make Europeans even stronger. WoN was really bad with the trade companies and I would hate to see even more free ducats go to the dirty subhuman scum Iberians.
I also agree that the only thing worthy of note is the Tordesillas Line. I'll have to wait until the dev diaries on the matter before I get excited. Hopefully the important and actually good stuff will be free in the patch and I can skip this DLC altogether.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:19:42 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 216