Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Adventurer Needed, apply within!  (Read 22039 times)

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
Re: Adventurer Needed, apply within!
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 11:06:49 am »

Those crundles, always messing thangs up!

Finally, someone else who understands those little devils...

During the last days of Goodwhip, when I had like seven miners and they were digging into the candy as hard as they could, my announcements and combat reports were just long, long, long lists of miners getting bothered by crundles and sticking picks into their brains.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

KrEstoF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2012, 07:21:38 pm »

So, I see your blog thing isn't updated....

I'm guessing you got no successful (and unbugged) adventurer to clear it out, and your reclamation attempt failed too?

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 07:51:00 pm »

Yeah, I'm kinda curious as well. What happened to the reclaiming idea?

The Enigmatic L

• Bay Watcher
  • The Truth is always watching
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 09:33:13 am »

I wish there were more topics like this around, recruiting glory hungry Adventurers to do something bold and amazing for once in their fragile lives. It's fun to run around killing crazy things in a while, but topics like these are much more fulfilling. In fact, it's how I play the game now; I give myself a giant, ridiculous goal and it's so enjoyable working my way up to that goal. Even failing that goal in some epic way is worth it. These player made quests give real purpose for us Adventurers. I can't stand Dwarf Fortress mode! How can you feel the spray of the sea when you're trapped in a hall of stone? The glory of personally grabbing a Minotaur by the horns and ripping his head off? What about the joy of simply travelling the world and seeing all of the genned cultures? There's some crazy shit out there you can only find as an Adventurer!

If this fort is unclaimed, I'd love to take a crack at it myself! I've done impossible things before and this just sounds like fun. Even if there are a million crundles. Uuggghh. What's the status on this, EB?
Does wisdom perhaps appear upon the Earth as a raven inspired by the scent of carrion?

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2013, 09:17:03 pm »

I hope this isn't too much of a necro (last post WAS in January after all)

I had a few people tell me horror stories of their reclaim attempts (Apparently, the demons would multiply every time they lost an adventurer, made a new one, and got back to the site.)

Also there were a trio of incredibly vicious FB's hanging around in the caverns.

I tried to reclaim it, but apparently something about reclaims changed (you used to get up to 50 dorfs if it was a dangerous site, but now apparently you just get your 7 no matter what.

So, sadly, the site has been declared completely dead.

Maybe the new site information being worked into the current version will make this sort of thing a little more workable; I liked it as an idea and I'm still planning the next fortress.

Also, I had a HDD crash (the dog ate my homework!) and lost all of my backed up DF saves.

I think I am about done with the EVE Online arc for my metastory and am about ready to come back to Armok's world, so keep an eye out for a new update (probably tomorrow, introduction to the new site and my initial seven. They always get more detailed stories than the migrants because... well, there's like a bajillion migrants and I'm busy when they arrive.)

Raul

• Bay Watcher
  • El Psy Kongroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 09:23:13 pm »

I think I am about done with the EVE Online arc for my metastory and am about ready to come back to Armok's world, so keep an eye out for a new update (probably tomorrow, introduction to the new site and my initial seven. They always get more detailed stories than the migrants because... well, there's like a bajillion migrants and I'm busy when they arrive.)
Awesome, can't wait! :D

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 09:31:44 pm »

A'ight, well, the first preintroductory post is up on my blog (www.elleshaped.com) and here's a brief excerpt:

It has taken us about two weeks to remove the old equipment, scour the worst of the soot and burn damage from the operational surfaced, and install and configure the new gear. At a loss as to the sorting of the debris, we have coded all recovered material as ‘Potential Remains’ and had them delivered to the forensics team.

<NAME REDACTED>, our primary sensing monitor, has told me that in practise, this equipment functions nothing like he learned in the training program. Despite this slight setback, we have finally begun recovering decipherable data.

Dwarf-Fortress related posts to be forthcoming; I am fairly certain that it wo'n't be long before the site is ready for a reclamation attempt (I am amazingly talented when it comes to losing fortresses in ridiculous ways, like the one where my dwarves starved to death because I made all their food into booze when they ran out of water because it froze and I made a lot of booze in a panic.)

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2013, 01:19:40 pm »

'kay. The new fort has been officially started; head over to this post to follow it.

If it should happen to crumble to its end in an interesting manner, there might be a reclamation attempt thread here, like this one only with more success*.

*success not guaranteed, subject to regulations in your dimension, void where prohibited and prohibited where void, do not use this product if you are or may become organic

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 03:02:08 pm »

Righty-o, it's that time again!

This one is easier than the previous challenge:

Go to DFFD here for the save. Go to this post in my blog for the location of the fortress.

Clear the former site of Kilrudzulban, "Bronzebanners" of goblins to make it safe for reclamation.

Then upload yoru successful save to DFFD so I can reclaim the site, and I'll do another fortress diary, like the ones for Bronzebanners 1 and Goodwhip. (Both links go to the first post of their respective fort's story on my blog, Elleshaped

Then the fort will die again eventually, and it'll come back over here for an adventurer to make it safe again. I'll try not to fill this one with infinite demons (at least not in the first few iterations.)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 04:17:05 pm »

I remember something about "you can't get artifacts in adventure mode", like it glitches up and they're just not in-world. So that also might have somethign to do with why the first iteration failed epicly. A masterwork item decorated with stuff would be a better idea.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 04:28:26 pm »

<grin>

The treasure comes with age. If several successions of fortresses come and go here, the site will get more and more interesting as the iterations go on.

I have some sneaky tricks up my sleeve. I ca'n't help it, the DM in me is too strong.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 05:36:39 pm »

And so starts Lorbam Mirrordrummed, a dwarf with a bad attitude and a steel mace.

And he looks badass.

..And luck has it that I'm in the far central south-west.

woop dee doopity
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:51:21 pm by Bloax »

oh_no

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2013, 02:00:50 am »

Post to watch. Might take a crack at this, even if it's not canon. I find I love fighting the HFS in adventure mode, always wanted to try with an FB. This is 31.25 you say?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

KrEstoF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2013, 04:24:23 am »

So... is this vanilla DF btw?

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2013, 09:44:28 am »

So... is this vanilla DF btw?

Aye; I use Lazy Newb Pack with Phoebus, but no mods beyond the tileset.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6