Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Bow effectiveness is affected by material  (Read 12621 times)

Snow Gibbon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bow effectiveness is affected by material
« on: August 22, 2012, 05:51:15 am »

Currently, the material that a bow (or crossbow) is made of only affects it's effectiveness as a bludgeon in combat. Perhaps we could also realistically simulate material properties for their ranged function as well?

What I'm suggesting is that a bow made of a material with higher tensile properties will have lower effectiveness for smaller creatures or those with lower strength. For example, Freengus the Kobold will have some serious trouble trying to pull the string on a bow made of iron in order for the arrow to go anywhere meaningful. Meanwhile, Urist McMuscles or Mr. Giant over there will have no trouble pulling on it, and will gain whatever benefit it may yield to them (probably higher missile velocity than using an ordinary wooden bow).

This can apply to crossbows as well - A crossbow with a steel bow (i.e. an arbalest) may boast a greater shooting force than a wooden one and be able to punch through the heaviest armor, but can boast a slower reload time (Once Toady has fixed the fire rate for them compared to bows) and may require a Windlass in order to cock and load it.

This will give more variation to Fortress mode as well as Adventure mode - It will give reason to actually use both wooden crossbows as well as metal ones, dependent on whether you want to compromise speed over power or vice versa.

Good or no? Post below!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bow effectiveness is affected by material
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 05:58:00 am »

Sounds like a natural step in improving the simulation quality.  I would rank it lower in priority than fixing things we already have which are broken, though.  Beekeeping, for example, or passing animal training knowledge back to your home civilization.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 08:22:42 am »

Are metal bows actually feasible, anyway? I've never heard of them exist outside of games.

Either way, wood type should matter for bow-making. Wood type was actually pretty important for bow-making. This will also add an increased incentive for trading, as different biomes produce different kind of trees.

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 08:54:31 am »

I don't know of any bows that had metal limbs, but I do remember some crossbows that did. The one they call the Arbalest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbalest). Well within the timeframe for DF, even without considering superior dwarven craftsmanship.

And different woods should definately have different qualities as far as bows are concerned (english and welsh longbows were made out of yew, for instance, because yew was very well suited for that particular application - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxus_baccata#Longbows). So I definately support this suggestion.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:56:18 am by Jheral »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 07:07:16 pm »

Well, this suggestion is much better than I had feared. Good job.

Something like this makes sense. It would not only make things more realistically, it would also lead to ways to differentiate between ranged weapons as metal bows need more strength to fire optimally and crossbows take longer to reload without great strength.

Where would this leave adamantine crossbows?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 09:52:29 pm »

It would also be great if you could make bows with more than one material to improve them. So that way you could have a simple wooden bow that works ok, but kill an animal and get some sinew to back that bow with and increase its power. Later on, acquire some horn and make a composite bow for a far more powerful bow.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 11:43:13 pm »

It would also be great if you could make bows with more than one material to improve them. So that way you could have a simple wooden bow that works ok, but kill an animal and get some sinew to back that bow with and increase its power. Later on, acquire some horn and make a composite bow for a far more powerful bow.

Of course, bows mae by dwarves should be mediocre at best. If you have a decent relationship with your local elves, though...

Well, this suggestion is much better than I had feared. Good job.

Something like this makes sense. It would not only make things more realistically, it would also lead to ways to differentiate between ranged weapons as metal bows need more strength to fire optimally and crossbows take longer to reload without great strength.

Where would this leave adamantine crossbows?

If I understand everything correctly, adamantine is just a very stiff yet completely nigh unbreakable metal (at least in non-cloth form). That would leave us with a bow that requires a tremendous amount of strength to draw/load, yet one that is also capable of storing a lot of energy (Tensile+compressive yield is very high). Furthermore, it'd probably crave a very strong bowstring (though sinew is, of course, a very strong material already). Only realistically utilized as a crossbow.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 12:56:36 am »

That would leave us with a bow that requires a tremendous amount of strength to draw/load, yet one that is also capable of storing a lot of energy

On the contrary. The thing about Adamantine is that it is nearly indestructible but it is VERY VERY fragile.

Or to put it in other terms. Adamantine doesn't bend it just breaks. (Just how Adamantine crafting works has many theories, given that it should be impossible even for the dwarves)

There are a lot of crafts that simply don't work for it and one of those is Bows and crossbows.

Anyhow looking at my info I find that metal bows are barely a thing (mind you I THINK they can be part of composite...).

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 05:50:47 am »

How do you infer this? From the raws, I can only see the tension/compression yields, which supposedly only represents how much force it can absorb before becoming permanently deformed (according to wiki:Material Definition Token). There doesn't seem to be any token which defines at which amount force it start to bend.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 10:05:22 am »

Of course, bows mae by dwarves should be mediocre at best. If you have a decent relationship with your local elves, though...

I wasn't thinking of dwarves making bows, but rather adventurers, when more skills get added for them, as well as elves and humans having the better bows when you end up fighting them in fortress mode. I think that it works better with dwarves being exclusive crossbow users.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

DavionFuxa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 11:04:22 am »

Can't see why a Dwarf made Crossbow would be made any better due to Elves or not. In relation to the fact that Crossbow's would likely have mechanisms and be made out of metal (something that Dwarves prefer you see) it would stand to reason that the Dwarves would be able to make it just as well as any other weapon, if not better then them.

This makes a lot of sense, especially with Crossbows. You might have a Crossbow made with a Wooden Frame but constructed with Metal Mechanisms for a fearsome beast of Dwarven machinery. Combine it with the Steel Prod like the Arbalest's in history and you've created an extremely horrific weapon.
A Google Doc I wrote up in regards to making a new 'workable' definition for the Roguelike Genre:
Defining the Roguelike Genre

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 11:12:37 am »

there is no real reason to make a bow out of anything other than wood or composite.

bows  are limited by how much force there user can pull(about 200lb tops)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 03:34:44 pm »

That would leave us with a bow that requires a tremendous amount of strength to draw/load, yet one that is also capable of storing a lot of energy

On the contrary. The thing about Adamantine is that it is nearly indestructible but it is VERY VERY fragile.

Or to put it in other terms. Adamantine doesn't bend it just breaks. (Just how Adamantine crafting works has many theories, given that it should be impossible even for the dwarves)

There are a lot of crafts that simply don't work for it and one of those is Bows and crossbows.
If that's the case, then explain adamantine cloth.
Adamantine is, even if what you claim about not bending is true, fragile only in the most technical sense. It is effectively unbreakable by any mortal force. If you had a place to stand and a long, rigid, and slender rod of adamantine, you could move the world. Assuming you used leverage right, of course.

there is no real reason to make a bow out of anything other than wood or composite.

bows  are limited by how much force there user can pull(about 200lb tops)
For humans, sure. Dwarves are probably much stronger. Heck, seeing as DF!humans have to battle much more deadly things than RL!humans, even humans might be stronger than humans!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Beardedwander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 12:58:08 am »

This MIGHT be true of a traditional recurve or long bow but a RL steel crossbow is so much more powerful than a wooden crossbow its not even funny.

It is effectively unbreakable by any mortal force.
Exactly. Which means if you made a bow from it you would probably need infinite strength to draw it.

As for adamantium clothing I think that its implementation is incomplete at best and possibly even bugged seeing as how it wears out just like ordinary clothing.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 04:16:20 am »

If we're going to go improving bows and crossbows, I think that we should at the same time improve bolts and arrows. They should at least require wood and (optionally) a head material. Maybe feathers as well (might be a problem for elves, leaves maybe?).
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5