Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48

Author Topic: Playerlogs from 2050  (Read 110291 times)

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playerlogs from 2050
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2012, 01:34:15 pm »

So, I'm now holding my own against a bit of "accidents" of the latest magic/science experiment program. Now, most of them have magic AND psionic powers, which basically makes them nigh unkillable, only with some luck and an ARMY of marksdwarves. Now, I've requested help from nearby fortress, and they've sent HUGE armies, full of PlasmaDwarves. Now, I assumed plasma'd move to fast for psyokinetics to have an influence on, but it seems that their magic slows down time as well, and managed to throw it back at the army. Now, I have an army of nigh unstoppable magical psyokinetics. Now, my question is, how do I send out a diplomat that DOESN'T immediately die? I tried outfitting them in full candy-coated Plasmoid armor. It didn't really work.
Also, how could I play as one of these "experiments"?
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2012, 02:00:11 pm »

Is there anything new on the southern front? The goblin/human frontlines haven't moved more than three kilometers in the past four years, and neither massive wave attacks or the elven ambushes have done anything to change that. From what I hear there have been some ideas to use gas; it would be insanely effective against the masses of soldiers in their trenches. But the dwarves have a taboo against war gasses ever since about half of them were erased in the Great Dwarven Civil War of 1837: It works even better in tunnels, and... the result wasn't pretty. So whoever first uses that stuff will likely bring in the dwarves, and not on their side. The goblins will have little problem holding out; they do not value the individual one bit and have never really relied on trade for sustenance. However, they are greatly weakened and lack the resources to conduct significant offensives. The humans, however... The sea blockade the merpeople have put up is really getting to them, and their industry is increasingly relying on recycled scrap metal; the merchant council has never exactly been popular, but now it's only a matter of time until they are overthrown. Another revolution... The last thing we can use right now is another Osman Busbelkuda; most families in the Mountainhomes have lost at least one member during the pogromes of that time. Human suprematism is on the rise once more, a development that only gives us more reason to hurry.
If the goblins win, they will surely crush all that's left of the Merchant Alliance; then the elves will stand no chance against them, and the dwarves will only be able to hold out in their mountains for so long. If the humans win, the Goblin empire might once again split into its parts, becoming divided like it was before Stozu Baxslorust united them in the Wars of Unification. Relative peace once more... It seems almost unthinkable after almost two decades of slaughter. Several elven tribes have been completely eradicated, and the kobolds are almost extinct - whole caves of them were executed when they started working as spies. For both sides, I might add; kobolds do not know much about loyalty. And neither do the dwarves... Our king had promised his help to the merchant council, but kept finding and exploiting loopholes. He does not wish to go to war, and a significant part of the population shares that sentiment. They are shortsighted; a short and bloody victory is better than a drawn-out and agonizing defeat. Now the fate of our people lies in the few who see clearly into the future; who know what needs to be done; and who have the courage to follow through with it.

Something needds to be done. My proposition is this: We, a small but influential minority as you know, conduct a covert operation, using gas against the Alliance. It will seem as if the goblins had crossed the thin red line, and finally the dwarves will get involved in the war. I know that in Brasscircuits there are significant amounts of gas that never got used during the Brasscircuits siege, as well as quite a few dwarven experts on the subjects of war gas development, production and deployment. The overseer of the fort is an old friend of mine and sympathetic to our cause; we fought together in the War. As long as his involvement was kept secret, he would gladly give us all the support he can give. We now need to organize the transport of the gas to the human empire; for this I call upon you, my friends. My own province is too far away; I however will equip the Brasscircuits researchers to develop a gas for use in open areas. The current version is optimised for tunnel warfare, and while our operation will give the Alliance a nontrivial advantage, it alone will not be sufficient to turn the tide.
This might very well be the most dangerous and risky operation in the history of Sunderleaf; it will certainly be the most important thing any one of us will do in his lifetime. If we are found out, we will be hanged as traitors; if we succeed, no one must ever know.
Brothers: On our shoulders rests all hope in the future!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

sudgy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2012, 04:25:10 pm »

I am one of the dwarves, and I am now going to report you do the King for even thinking about using gas.  Prepare for us to enter the War against you instead of the goblins!

EDIT: On my way to the King, I got shot.  One of you must have contacted a spy of yours here...

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2012, 06:00:35 pm »

I am one of the dwarves, and I am now going to report you do the King for even thinking about using gas.  Prepare for us to enter the War against you instead of the goblins!

EDIT: On my way to the King, I got shot.  One of you must have contacted a spy of yours here...
Huh? Oh, yeah, that was me. Sorry. I had my Legendary +5 Long Rifledwarf "take care of it".

I'm not sorry you got shot, just that you didn't die right away: it was supposed to be a painless nerve-collapse round. Maybe in 2074, when Toady III fixes the bugs with military equipment, this kind of thing won't happen...
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

Nopkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2012, 08:11:33 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, anyone else having slowdowns on a Quantum GenIII processor when atomiziñg a mining planet? The station above the planet is a standard Hex-field so it should be stable...and I can't spot any galactic anomolies. Maybe this whole space venture was a bad idea...we should have just stayed underground.

-Jobs are to be assigned to Dwarves in alphabetical order, regardless of skill or specialization.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2012, 02:47:52 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, anyone else having slowdowns on a Quantum GenIII processor when atomiziñg a mining planet? The station above the planet is a standard Hex-field so it should be stable...and I can't spot any galactic anomolies. Maybe this whole space venture was a bad idea...we should have just stayed underground.
Whatever happens, Dwarf Fortress will always be underground.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2012, 03:08:26 am »

So I genned a new world with the industry setting set to maximum, and for some reason the world didn't flood after global cooking started. Apparently the world was genned without ice caps, resulting in a lack of rising water levels.

As it may be, when I started Adventurer mode, the only available civ was that of lizard people. According to legends mode they infiltrated the human ruling class and eventually stayed behind once they all emigrated into outer space. Interesting thing is one of their holidays: they drop a block of ice into the sea, and until the ice has melted, they stuff themselves with food, only to fast for the rest of the day (I guess that's their version of Ramadan or something). Considering the size of the ice and the temperature of the water (the ice is around 1l big), they have about 5 minutes to stuff themselves with food. Now, either the lizard people have incredibly huge mouths or the eating algorithm isn't that realistic. The latter seems probable, but I prefer the former as an explanation.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2012, 07:06:58 am »

Now, either the lizard people have incredibly huge mouths or the eating algorithm isn't that realistic. The latter seems probable, but I prefer the former as an explanation.

They cheat a little bit.  They drop the ice in while everyone's already seated around a table with portions already dolled out on their plates and cut into bite-sized pieces.  Or pureed/smashed/creamed foods that are more easily shovalable.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2012, 08:21:36 am »

Urist McStarver cancels exit from Full Immersion Adventure Mode: Hunting vermin for food.
Help me...

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2012, 10:52:28 am »

666vegeta
Bay Watcher

anti posthuman BIAS
« on: November 22, 2050 03:15:06 am »

hi this is my first post i thought i would check out this game even though its still in beta lol but it dosent run on my cerebral implant i asked my freind and he said its all assy letters and there is NO neurostim synthlight haptics option this is total descrimination since even super old stuff like battlefeild 15 will run in virtualization tjat means the developers are INTENTIONALLY excluding eyeless gamers WE CANNOT PROCESS LOWREZ DATA

anyway dwarf forest sucks so i gave it zero stars on all metanet rankers

if u have a port to wetware IM me at 01x2₪494ȸx2Ñ1 thx
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:02:04 am by Niyazov »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2012, 11:12:35 am »

666vegeta
Escaped Lunatic

Lurking in the shadows
« on: November 26, 2050 09:32:17 am »

Long time playr, first time postr.  I finally started playing again aftr the 4D update.  This game managed to hook me again, and have things changed!  I feel like a noob again, I have no idea what I'm doing or even looking at.  I realize that Toady III added a 4th dimension and that the { and } keys allow the usr to view the 4D slices, but I just can't make sense of it.  It's like the dwarves are popping in and out of my view taking paths I can't even see or comprehend.  I'm almost certain they're time traveling; there's a party going on in room I don't remembr building and there's no entrance or exit that I can see, all all the dwarves in attendance have the same name.

Man, I love this game!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2012, 11:49:56 am »

HarmonicDerps
Bay Watcher

I Love Being A Master Thief In DF
« on: December 19, 2050 10:58:36 pm »
Well, had an interesting game.

I'm playing with Vankor's Steampunk Mod (I never cared for Modern Tech) and I generate a world called Alkandia, no translation. I play Adventure Mode, and try out the new feature Toady implemented fully in October, the ability to take over NPCs. I selected the location (The capital of the dominant human civilization in the middle of an Age of Industry, lots of crime and shadiness) and looked over the options for a character. I didn't really like the choices, but one kinda struck out as a nice choice: a 13 year old orphan girl named Anzec SmokedGreen. I started up the game.

Looking over the memories tab, this girl has had the worst life. She was born in one of the huge shantytowns around the city, her parents were shot down by a maruading group of bandits, and now she's alone in the big city. This was going to be a hard one. After wandering around the city, I realized that this world was truly unique. From history books (It's amazing Anzec knew how to read) and Legendsviewer, this used to be a typical DF world until the dwarves discovered the steam engine, which Anzec's home civilization stole a prototype of. Immediately after this, the world descended into a massive war on all sides that lasted about a century. By the end of it, every race except a solitary holdout of dwarves in a mountain and one human civilization had been either slaughtered, enslaved or genocided, and demons were rampaging throughout the land (Which only occurs when the world is ending). Somehow a demon had managed to take control of the last human civilization and had been given the title of God Emperor.

So, how was one to survive in this very 40k-a-like situation? Well, I immediately got Anzec into a life of crime for a start. I had to grind my stealth and thieving skills a bit in Post Offices, but eventually I managed to rob a merchant's house and walked off with a lot of things to pawn off. I started making my own little hideout in the sewer system where I'd stash stuff. I kept robbing merchant's houses, until I made my way up to noble's mansions. Now, that was a tricky business, since you had guards and things. I bought a blackjack and started knocking out the guards and stealing their guns to train with or sell. I was making a pretty penny, was gathering plenty of contacts and in general, things were good.

As I wandered around the city looking for people to pawn my hot wares to, I learned that the dashing rogue who was breaking into mansions was now named the "The Silent Shadow". Another thing to say: Toady did a good job with the redesigned name generator, before that my barbarian warrior had the worst nickname: "The Grinning Duck", so seeing my thief being named the Silent Shadow felt like I was doing a good job. I was at Accomplished Thieving and Stealth, so I thought that I needed to step up a bit. Where will the Silent Shadow strike next?

I had a good idea. The God Emperor's castle, where all his stolen goods would lie. I'd be the richest person in the kingdom if I stole from him, and could probably buy it if I wanted to. I got as many of my contacts as I could to give me a pinpoint of the castle. The bad news was no-one had entered the Emperor's private domain, where his treasure would be, so all I had was a few floors of knowing until I hit an information blackout, at which point I would have to wing it.

I broke in carrying my trusty cloak, my blackjack and my pistol. I was only at Adequate with the pistol, and it would expose my position if I fired it, so it was a last resort at all times. Sneaking past and occasionally clobbering guards, it was easy to get to the emperor's private sanctuary. I was shocked at the sheer amount of golden, platinum and diamond statues everywhere (Granted, usually of the God Emperor mutilating various other demons and people), not to mention spiked pits and torture devices, but there was nothing I could carry. I had to head deeper in. At this point, I was getting nervous. Of course, he could have been a weaker type of demon who got his way through manipulation, but with all the mulitation I was unsure of myself.

It was very dark once I got deeper in. Anzec had good night-vision, but I could only see about four tiles in front of me. I kept going...

"The God Emperor stands before you! A giant lizard, twisted into humanoid form! His scales are dark crimson and cracked! He hisses with every step! Beware his deadly stength!"

Fuck.

At this point, I mostly stared at the computer screen. I was facing down a supremely strong demon. I had a pistol with a single shot and a blackjack. He would move faster then I could and gut me in a single turn if I tried to run. I had only one option. I fired the gun at the bastard. If I was going to die, I was going to die giving the oversized gecko a headache.

"The sound of a -Iron Pistol- firing echoes throughout the room!"

"The God Emperor clutches his head in pain."

"The Lead Bullet strikes the God Emperor in the upper body, piercing the scales and breaking the lower right rib!"

Then the God Emperor promptly stumbled back into one of his many spiked pits, and after about 50 "The God Emperor writhes in pain!", he finally died of bleeding. His name was apparently "Zekak". Immediately afterward, I went into his private chamber and stole all his wealth and walked out of the empty castle... to find a massive crowd cheering me. Apparently I was now the Rose of Blood, the slayer of the Demond Emperor, and by causing the Demon to stumble into his many unguarded spike pits I was the killer of a tyrant, and I was also to be queen.

So, I immediately retired the adventurer, since I'm not great with King Mode and I would probably ruin the perfect ending. So, there you have it. I  went from random orphan, to stealing from merchants, to being a master thief, and then being a demon slayer and queen. Apparently Anzec was the youngest queen ever at 14 (Yes, I did all that in a year) but despite this was an extremely good one. Of course, this is just a few years later, so who knows what will happen later. I love this game.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2012, 02:25:03 pm »

Now, either the lizard people have incredibly huge mouths or the eating algorithm isn't that realistic. The latter seems probable, but I prefer the former as an explanation.

They cheat a little bit.  They drop the ice in while everyone's already seated around a table with portions already dolled out on their plates and cut into bite-sized pieces.  Or pureed/smashed/creamed foods that are more easily shovalable.
Well yeah, I figured it'd be something like that. Ain't No Rule against that, after all.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2012, 04:16:31 pm »

I assume most of these wont happen, because Toady said the games technology wouldn't go beyond medeival.

On topic: How do I get rid of the sentient AI on my quantum computer? It already put most of my dwarves into a giant blender, and I think its gonna sacrifice them to the peanut god to get the power to go to alternate dimensions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2012, 04:19:15 pm »

I assume most of these wont happen, because Toady said the games technology wouldn't go beyond medeival.
Ehh, True and untrue.

While the technology of the dwarves will be medieval, the physics of te universe will be more advanced, so players will be able to simulate more modern tech. Hell, we have calculaters. There were no calculaters in medieval times.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48