Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 107

Author Topic: Prison Architect - Version 2.0 Release | It's over! *weeping*  (Read 238060 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prison HYPHEN Architect (v. a28) - New look for Xmas
« Reply #1065 on: December 21, 2014, 11:05:14 pm »

It already feels like a complete game right now, and they keep adding stuff. Also you can sell your prison whenever there's a new version and you want to scrap the old one if it stops working right with the new features.

It does need a lot of optimization for more than 200-300 prisoners, if that is possible.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: December 22, 2014, 01:48:18 am »

I hope they add corruption at some point; after all that is how a lot of stuff gets smuggled into prisons. Likewise, there should be a possibility of guards getting abusive and leaving it up to you how to handle it. That is another major problem in US prisons/jails according to FBI investigations.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: December 22, 2014, 02:13:10 am »

The staff do still need personalities. They're all faceless mooks of the Prison-Industrial-Complex currently.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: December 29, 2014, 05:34:22 pm »

I hope they add corruption at some point; after all that is how a lot of stuff gets smuggled into prisons. Likewise, there should be a possibility of guards getting abusive and leaving it up to you how to handle it. That is another major problem in US prisons/jails according to FBI investigations.
But they aren't trying to model US prisons.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: December 29, 2014, 05:35:06 pm »

But they aren't trying to model US prisons.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: December 29, 2014, 05:47:16 pm »

But they are

http://kotaku.com/what-to-do-with-prison-architect-a-video-game-about-b-1505204131

"Introversion decided, nevertheless, to set their game in a nation modeled after the U.S."

The idea of the game came from Chris touring Alcatraz here in the US...and the game is focused on a lot of the US prison system issues

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: December 29, 2014, 05:53:00 pm »

But they are

http://kotaku.com/what-to-do-with-prison-architect-a-video-game-about-b-1505204131

"Introversion decided, nevertheless, to set their game in a nation modeled after the U.S."

The idea of the game came from Chris touring Alcatraz here in the US...and the game is focused on a lot of the US prison system issues
You haven't seen Introversion rebuttal video about that article then. That quote is an assumption.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: December 29, 2014, 06:27:57 pm »

But they are

Introversion folk were very clear that the game was not modeled after the US system. I can't find the video again just yet, but I've linked to it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=netYNUAq_ZQ
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:29:51 pm by BigD145 »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: December 29, 2014, 06:35:33 pm »

It's modeled on what most people expect prison is like, based on movies and TV. The most successful of which are American prison movies and TV shows. There are aspects of the American prison system that are not present in the various European prison systems, and people expect to see those aspects. So they went with them. They didn't study the US prison system in detail, but they grabbed what would make for interesting gameplay and satisfy people's expectations, based on stuff like The Shawshank Redemption, Oz, American History X, Orange Is The New Black, ect...

It's modeled on all prisons, effectively, although I've yet to see anything I don't already understand as part of the American prison system. About the only thing it's missing on that front is the systematic rape....and I can do without that one.

On second thought, there's no Parole Review for being released, so it is still missing a couple elements. Parole Review would actually be pretty sweet. The game evaluates their behavior since their last review, decides with weighted factors whether to approve parole. If the prisoner gets denied, they gets unhappy or maybe even violent. It would kinda require a life sentence though, and prisoners dying in prison from old age.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:43:14 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: December 29, 2014, 06:42:34 pm »

Say it with me everyone:
"It's not in the fucking United States!"
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: December 30, 2014, 02:27:10 am »

It isn't like corruption and violent guards were not a problem in other countries too... Besides, with electric chairs and all, it is pretty pseudo-US. Saying you are not in the USA while everything in the game points towards being in US is pretty lame.

I think corruption and such would add interesting additional layer into the game. Basically, if you want good staff, you'd need to spend more money on them for training, hiring educated people and doing background checks. Likewise, the pool of good, qualified candidates should be quite small, so you'd be limited in the amount of hiring per day. If you were willing to hire anyone, it would be much cheaper, but come with increased chance of problems. (Smuggling and prisoner abuse; first getting contraband inside and the second pissing off/wounding prisoners.)

Perhaps you'd have a chance to benefit from corruption yourself; you could have the mob offering you - the warden - money to give benefits to their members or turn the blind eye while a snitch get whacked or the like. However, every you accepted something like that, you'd increase the culture of corruption in the prison. Since you are running a private prison, perhaps you could spend money on corruption too, like bribing local judges to convict more people to send you more prisoners or letting a shady cult use your prison as recruitment center.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: December 30, 2014, 06:14:51 am »

Saying you are not in the USA while everything in the game points towards being in US is pretty lame.
*siiiiiiiiiiiigh*

If you had, like, followed the development of this game you would understand the developer's stance on this. The game is based on common media representations of prisons. That's going to contain some things from the USA, because they have a strong influence on media. But you can tell that it's based on the mythical media prison given the orange jumpsuits, electric chair, the toilet tunnels...
But say it was modelled after a different prison system. Then it would be obviously from that country. So by basing it on the general impression given about prisons in fiction media it leaves it ambiguous.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: December 30, 2014, 06:41:40 am »

General impression from American media...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: December 30, 2014, 06:43:59 am »

General impression from American media...
Which is not a realistic impression of actual US prisons.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #1079 on: December 31, 2014, 01:03:42 pm »

Well, silly conversation about the source of ideas for the game aside...

I got it and I dont regret buying it, its fun...and also very buggy. I am quitting my current prison because stupid bugs. I have 5 prisoners who are to be searched, but also injured. When i send a doctor to them, they wont heal them because they need to be searched, when i send a guard to search them, they wont do it either. SO they just sit t here, day after day. One of them is on a main door to one of my cell blocks, keepign the BROKEN door from closing. I cant remove the door nor can I repair it. Obviously it wont close.

Also, I got lame biug regarding the workshop machines after dismantling them, i did find the workaround was to remove all the wiring they were connected to then you can replace them. I also run into something similar with CCTV cameras, i cancelled a build job because the location was too dangerous, so the worker dropped the box in a random spot. Now when i go to build a new camera, they wont use a new one because they want to reuse that old one, but they wont touch it. I have tried dumping it too but nobody will actually do any job with it. Cool thing is that the camera box is actually blocking a door and workers cant seem to go in and out that door anymore.

Also getting a steady stream of escapees now. My guards are letting the cleaning crew out of the front gate to go "clean" outside i guess. They head out with their brooms but once they see the edge of the screen, they bolt. Loosing like 5 prisoners per day now. Dumb.

I like the game, but these bugs will send me back to waiting for a while before I try it again.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:05:36 pm by ductape »
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 107