Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training  (Read 79362 times)

blaster339

• Bay Watcher
  • Why did the chicken REALLY cross the road?
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier toughening: Item Drop Training
« Reply #195 on: January 05, 2013, 04:08:31 am »

Epic idea
This explains that alot of stuff is possible on dwarf fortress

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 05, 2013, 05:22:39 am »

I'd go with describing how to use it with coins on the wiki, then continue to

"a less-micro-managerial method is to use seeds, which do not require being split up first."

However, don't seed stacks also need splitting up, or else they risk causing severe injury?

AFAIK seeds aren't stacked.  Just in bags together.

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 05, 2013, 07:41:17 am »

Also a single seed can be deadly, if it hits and breaks a nose or a ear.
Cartilage doesn't heal in vanilla, so a broken nose will get infected and that will eventually finish the dwarf off.

And any pets that happen to wander into the blender will get injured quite quickly with seeds.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 05, 2013, 02:23:16 pm »

So, let's describe how to do it with coins first, and then continue to seeds:

"If you don't feel like micromanaging to split so many coins, you can always use seeds, which are already counted as separate. However, while convenient they are also more dangerous, able to cause sometimes serious injury to your trainees. Just remember to keep unarmed civilians and pets out of the blender...'
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 05, 2013, 10:07:02 pm »

Also a single seed can be deadly, if it hits and breaks a nose or a ear.
Cartilage doesn't heal in vanilla, so a broken nose will get infected and that will eventually finish the dwarf off.

And any pets that happen to wander into the blender will get injured quite quickly with seeds.
I see this like a bug so I usually mod those tissues to have a healing rate like bones have. Doesn't even require to restart the world.

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 05, 2013, 11:02:58 pm »

I see this like a bug so I usually mod those tissues to have a healing rate like bones have. Doesn't even require to restart the world.

So do I, but seeds have enough mass to hurt unprotected areas and at least the nose and ears are unprotected.
And if you have a couple of hundred seeds flying about, you can have a dwarf get seriously injured before you even notice it and considering the average competence of dwarven medical staff, you could get fatalities even with healing cartilage.

With seeds any unprotected body parts will get seriously injured in no time, so pets and civilians (and militia with incomplete armor sets) will die pretty quickly.

If anyone decides to build and use a coin star (or blender, as I like to call it), I strongly recommed you use coins.
You only have to seperate the coin stack once, and with macros it won't take that long.

xoseph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 06, 2013, 02:29:58 am »

How much does hair weigh, in the game?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 06, 2013, 03:51:52 am »

Too much. We tried it, and it breaks bones through metal armor. Not viable for Coinstar danger rooms.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 06, 2013, 08:03:39 pm »

Whoo, neat. It's too bad babies can't be trained this way, but putting a bunch of children through might justify giving most of the dwarves in the fort Ducimging as a last name.
(Workedyoung)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 07, 2013, 05:25:58 pm »

Since coins are harmless, you should be able to throw children in the coinstar to train them.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 07, 2013, 07:24:54 pm »

Whoo, neat. It's too bad babies can't be trained this way
Mother drop babies when they get onto minecarts. I'm sure someone can think of an efficient way of working with that.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 08, 2013, 03:47:14 am »

Since coins are harmless, you should be able to throw children in the coinstar to train them.

You can.
I have already trained a few children to legendary armor user in my current fort.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 08, 2013, 07:52:46 am »

Whoo, neat. It's too bad babies can't be trained this way
Mother drop babies when they get onto minecarts. I'm sure someone can think of an efficient way of working with that.
Although actually, if you need equipment for any skill gains to happen (does it train Dodging?), babies won't learn anything. But maybe their stats will rise.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 08, 2013, 11:13:29 am »

From the 3 forts I've used a Coinstar in, the only skill I've seen gain anything is armor user. Attributes still go up like crazy, but I haven't seen any other combat skills gain a single point.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 09, 2013, 07:20:22 am »

When I dropped a boulder on a soldier and broke his leg, he gained Weapon-skill and Fighting-skill in addition to Armor-User.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17