Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542758 times)

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter Two: Books, Baubles and Boyfriends!
« Reply #480 on: November 07, 2012, 04:23:46 pm »

Un-stick myself from the roof, and just KILL the bloody thing!
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 07, 2012, 04:25:55 pm »

Read books. Starting with the one on healing.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 07, 2012, 04:39:15 pm »

Rush out of there.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 07, 2012, 11:52:27 pm »

"Your dog. Is it rabid?"

"If I'm not, it probably isn't either!"

"Are you rabid?"

"I'm not entirely sure, good chap!"
((OOC Thread got me here.))

(("Stop using my colors!"

"It's cornflowerblue."

"Good point. Carry on."

Also, liking how this is going. Keep it up Harry! First time GM? :D))

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 08, 2012, 12:19:13 am »

Samuel will give a bow, and head to the placed the old man said. Or, at the very least, head to the east. If we reach there, Sam will enter the tomb, with his cohorts nearby. Let's go dungeon...ing!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 08, 2012, 12:34:55 am »

"Your dog. Is it rabid?"

"If I'm not, it probably isn't either!"

"Are you rabid?"

"I'm not entirely sure, good chap!"
((OOC Thread got me here.))

(("Stop using my colors!"

"It's cornflowerblue."

"Good point. Carry on."

Also, liking how this is going. Keep it up Harry! First time GM? :D))

((Yep. Trying to improvise as well as I can.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 08, 2012, 01:00:22 am »

Near a camp of murderous outlaws...

Leon has a flash of inspiration! Perhaps he should hack AND slash! Yeah, that'll work!

[Leon vs. Man 2: 1+1 vs. 1+1]

Both combatants stand around awkwardly while Leon contemplates the exact logistics of how this would be done!

[Man 2 vs. Leon: 6+1 vs. 5]

The awkwardness doesn't dissipate when Leon is struck by the axeman! He stands tall despite the power of the strike and scratches his metal chin at this development!

[Leon/Man 2: Leon]
[Woman vs. Leon: 2+1 vs. 2]

An arrow weakly plinks off Leon's shell as he contemplates!

On the roof of the library...

Jordan, dissatisfied at his failure to make peace, decides to strike at the elephant! He attempts to get down from the roof!

[Agility roll: 3-1]

It's really high up, though. Three stories high. Uh, maybe he should wait this out a bit. Not that he's scared or anything. Shut up.

Inside the Library...

James attempts to forget the fact that he has no blood and focuses on his reading instead!

[Intelligence roll: 6+1]

He reads all five books from cover to cover, perfectly memorizing their contents! Sadly, 500 or so years of theater history, various difficult-to-pronounce words and magical terminology (such as what the difference is between wizards and warlocks, and what a sorcerer is) make up the majority of this knowledge, as both the healing and necromancy books only contain things you already know. Well, at least they do seem to point to the Life Studies Department in the university as a place where you could find out more.

Inside the monastery...

Knowing a losing battle when repeatedly beaten with a warhammer, Vincent tries to escape before losing any other limbs!

[Vincent escape roll: 4+1-1]

Brandishing his third arm as a distraction, Vincent creeps out the knight sufficiently to pass her by without getting hit! He then tries to get back to the basement!

[Vincent escape roll: 2+1]

He gets turned around several times, but eventually he manages to find the basement! There appear to be knights around!

[Vincent stealth roll: 3]

Vincent tries to calmly walk through the basement and act natural! It sort of works, as a knight does notice him and tries to take him down!

[Vincent escape roll: 5+1]

Vincent dives headfirst into the well before she can reach him, though, and crawls through the water until he has gotten outside!

In a village of some kind...

Samuel, delighted at the suicidal tendencies of the peasants, heads toward the tomb, idiots in tow! After about an hour of walking east, the tomb is reached! Looks pretty harmless, to be honest. He goes in!

The first room is a long corridor! He and his band of merry men go down it!

[Trap roll: 4]

Samuel stands on a plate and the plate descends! The obvious flamethrower trap it activated, however, ran out of fuel a long time ago!

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 08, 2012, 03:16:32 am »

Read magical dictionary, see if that makes things more understandable, read some more educational books, preferably on focuses and making them.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 08, 2012, 07:31:40 am »

Go back to Bernie's sister and get repairs.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 08, 2012, 08:12:49 am »

Continue attacking....

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 08, 2012, 09:43:37 am »

Inside the Library...

James, wishing to get ahead in the magical arms race, tries to find a book of focus making!

[Search roll: 1]

Ooh, this book looks like it has the information he needs! He pulls it out and opens it!

[Book vs. James: 1+2 vs. 6+1]

It attempts to go for his face with its many sharp teeth, but you'd have to get up pretty late in the afternoon to get James like this! James throws the book to the ground, the book thwacking as it strikes the floor, its near-immaculate condition tarnished!

[Counter attack: James vs. Book: 4+1 vs. 4+2]

James is about to give the book what it really deserves, but the blasted thing scurries away with the speed of a particularly flat mouse!

[Book escape roll: 6]

It jumps out of a window and disappears in the distance, possibly to return after consuming sufficient amounts of human flesh!

Outside the monastery...

Vincent attempts to make his way back to Bernie's sister!

[Speedy traveling roll: 1]

He is about to run back, but realizes he has completely forgotten the direction he came from! Oh well, best go with a random choice! He'll probably remember which way it was eventually!

[Random direction roll: 2]

He goes east! Surprisingly, he finds nothing resembling the path he took here!

[Monastery reaction roll: 3]

A single knight on a horse rides out of the monastery, trailing after Vincent!

In a battle that appears to be taking far too long...

Leon's mind goes blank, an all-pervading thought erasing his other cranial impulses!

~MUST STAB~

[Leon vs. Man 2: 5+1 vs. 2+1]

And he stabs the man quite nicely, piercing the liver straight through and coming out the other side!

[Man endurance roll: 1]

The man looks at Leon for a second, then realizes he has some urgent bleeding that needs to be done right now! He politely slides off his blade, falls to the ground and gets right to it!

[Woman vs. Leon: 5+1 vs. 1]

The woman, free of any obstructions to her fire, shoots an arrow at Leon! It strikes him straight through the chest and pins him to a nearby tree! It is followed by two more that pierce him just as nicely!

[Leon will roll: 4]

Leon, shocked by suddenly getting pierced through the heart, remembers that he doesn't actually have one anymore, so there's nothing to really worry about!

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 08, 2012, 09:45:10 am »

Pull free, charge woman, pin her to a tree with my arm!!!!!

(( I love this game so many different ways I should be dead if I wasn't you know..... already dead. ))

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 08, 2012, 09:57:21 am »

Repeat previous action.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 08, 2012, 10:36:41 am »

Inside the Library...

James is not entirely surprised at a book attempting to bite him! Hey, join the club! Everyone else is already in. He looks for a focus book!

[Search roll: 5]

It turns out that the Focus Crafting Book shelf's right opposite the Man-Eating Book shelf! A simple mistake, really, considering that most man-eating books try to pretend to be somewhat more useful. He picks up a Beginner's Guide to Focus Crafting and reads it!

[Intelligence roll: 6+1]

Well, it turns out that anything can be a focus and the key to creating one properly is a sacrifice of some kind - blood, souls or body parts, given willingly by a human being! Say, that's useful! What else does it say here?

The power of the focus shall be directly tied with its physical nature, and for this reason most foci today are books or scrolls, since they are easily programmable to make spells work, though they aren't quite as powerful as foci made from other objects due to having a more tenuous link with their magic. Most mages, however, view the predictability and reliability of a focus book as superior to the often random, powerful outbursts of other foci. That's good, yes.

To make an especially powerful focus, you can also employ special chants, the simplest of which is the Empty Mind Chant. Hm...

It's only seven syllables! Oh, what the hell, let's see it.

"Ahm-ahm-ahm-poh-ahm-poh-schwa!"

[Emptiness roll: 1]

James finds himself in a blank mindspace! Okay, fun's fun, let's get out.

Okay, James is stuck here. It's quite cold, to be honest. And uncomfortable.

Not too far, but far enough...

Hah! Leon cannot be held by human weapons! Just watch!

[Self-liberation roll: 3]

He slightly nudges himself forward, but the arrows seem to have him pinned good, as it takes him a lot of effort!

[Woman vs. Leon: 5+1 vs. 2-1]

Just as he's about to pull again, three more arrows find their way into his chest, piercing right through! Damn, he is as stuck as a metal zombie possibly can be! No getting free now, it seems.

[Leon will roll: 1]

The six large arrow wounds in his chest and his helplessness make Leon's sight slowly grow dark! Oh crap, not again! His unlife, which wasn't very strong to begin with, is seeping away once more!

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 08, 2012, 11:01:49 am »

Carry on reading. See if it says what to do if trapped in an empty mindspace. Do that.
If it doesn't, try to figure out how to get out anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 719