Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542906 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 5: The Path of Dreams
« Reply #7425 on: October 22, 2013, 07:08:54 am »

Sigmund said to Craig:

-Well, then you may be safe there. We had a problem with the imprisoned soul of a mage inside a tree and some deadly mushrooms that created some fast-growing mushrooms which make everything they touch to go numb. If the mushrooms infestation is controlled, then we may have an empty house. I will take you there.

Take Craig to the Yaleson's house, but make a stop to tell the Artiste:

-Craig wants to do some demonology stuff, so I'm taking him to the Yaleson house. I suppose that I will be there for some time. if you have to send someone to tell me something, send Morton, as the house has certain problems that only him can bypass.

[If I see hateful mushrooms:]

-They may not be able to harm you, but to be sure it would be better if you don't even get near them.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: October 22, 2013, 07:18:44 am »

Sigmund said to Craig:

-Well, then you may be safe there. We had a problem with the imprisoned soul of a mage inside a tree and some deadly mushrooms that created some fast-growing mushrooms which make everything they touch to go numb. If the mushrooms infestation is controlled, then we may have an empty house. I will take you there.

"I don't really need a place outside the ship, sadly - these circles are not so much for practice as they are for utility. I do not plan to summon any demons or, indeed, confer with them on any matters any time soon - I have simply drafted up these circles in the event that we need them for the voyage so that I can deploy their effects rapidly. Sketching these templates anywhere outside would be somewhat useless, possibly even harmful, as not only would they be inconvenient to quickly find and use for us, someone ekse may find them and attempt to fool around with them later, which can produce results that would be assuredly grim... for them, at least."

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: October 22, 2013, 07:40:09 am »

Morton stood his ground although he was now regarding the man warily. Surely this man wouldn't assault him would he? He tried to think of a way to pause the man, or at least disrupt what the man's intentions may be. "You state everything is a lie one moment then that truth is hidden the next. Which is it? If everything is a lie than is not the truth a lie, or if there is truth that is hidden by the lies than doesn't that mean not everything is a lie? What truth is being hidden, and how do you know that it's there? How can you tell what is real and what is fake?"

Morton, meanwhile, was digging in and getting ready to defend himself from whatever crazy thing Socrates may do. Oh bother, why must things be so complicated?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: October 22, 2013, 11:19:19 am »

Sigmund said:

-Oh, I'm sorry then. I thought that you were just practicing some demonology. So, you say that these circles could be useful. Which uses could they have? I'm really intrigued about that Demon of Difficult Questions you mentioned.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: October 22, 2013, 12:13:07 pm »

Sigmund said:

-Oh, I'm sorry then. I thought that you were just practicing some demonology. So, you say that these circles could be useful. Which uses could they have? I'm really intrigued about that Demon of Difficult Questions you mentioned.

"That is actually one of the more interesting demons. The Demon of Difficult Questions is exactly what one might think - an entity you can contact, and receive an answer to a question that has bothered you your entire life, perhaps the solution to a great dilemma, perhaps the whereabouts of a particular person, perhaps the truth of a particular matter that has been left unclear up to now. Or you can have it ask you a difficult, but worthwhile question - this is less expensive than the former alternative, naturally. Selling your soul to the Demon of Difficult Questions is what is required for actual answers, at least in most cases, and I prefer to keep mine in my possession for as long as possible, so I have not dealt with it for too much, though we have spoken once through a verbal portal. Quite an amiable individual, in my experience. Most demons are, in fact, unless you get on their bad side."

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: October 22, 2013, 12:28:59 pm »

-I see, so, you can contact them without the need to sell your own soul, but can you get something from them without doing so? What kind of things can you trade with them?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: October 22, 2013, 12:38:05 pm »

Pop my head in Gunther's workshop before I leave.
"Just tell this treehead guy to head back to the ship when you're done, I'll come then. No point waiting here, is there?"

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: October 22, 2013, 12:47:25 pm »

-I see, so, you can contact them without the need to sell your own soul, but can you get something from them without doing so? What kind of things can you trade with them?

"Demons are, by and large, a very bored lot, it seems. Though their main interest is your soul, you can also, just like in the case of the gods, pique it by being interesting somehow. Perhaps by offering an avenue of amusement, or prove yourself worthy of respect, or simply convince them that they must help you somehow. I believe that, in the case of the Aspect of Appeal, it may be the latter case, to draw on your own experiences - the demon must simply find you too offensive to not alter in a pleasing and possibly creative manner, and neglects to take possession of your soul in the process because it finds its task trivial to perform and absolutely necessary for its own peace of mind. Or at least that is what I believe - it can sometimes be difficult to figure out the exact motives and preferences of various demons."

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: October 22, 2013, 12:51:18 pm »

-Well, that's something pretty important to know when dealing with them. Mind if I watch you work?

Action: watch the tailor do his job and try to learn something

((Edited because of many typos))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: October 22, 2013, 01:01:42 pm »

((Avenue of amusement. I feel like I'm going to be used as a demonic sacrifice soon.))

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7435 on: October 22, 2013, 01:22:41 pm »

((Avenue of amusement. I feel like I'm going to be used as a demonic sacrifice soon.))
((Why? This guy is one of the sanest persons this game has seen. In fact, considering all that he's been through, I think that he definitely is the sanest guy. Sigmund, on the other hand, is not, but probably is going to be a bit reluctanct to sell other people's souls. Because deep inside his fashionable vampire heart, he still has some sense of morality. Well, it has been maimed after helping nobles to kill their own relatives, but it still exists))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: October 22, 2013, 04:32:26 pm »

[I gotta agree with that, Craig by far seems to be the sanest out of everyone, with Art a close second in my opinion. The most insane however, are primarily housed by players.]

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: October 22, 2013, 04:33:28 pm »

At Gunther Gunnarson's place...

Kevin is a patient man, but not patient enough to wait around for who knows how long for the smith to finish up with his business.

"Just tell this treehead guy to head back to the ship when you're done, I'll come then. No point waiting here, is there?" he says, conveniently ignoring the fact that Mark can probably hear him very nicely himself and probably knows the way quite well. He then rolls back to the ship just in time to notice something happening on deck. The Artiste seems to be doing something, with Scott watching him somewhat theatrically, pretending to hold his breath - it doesn't quite work, considering that he doesn't breathe at all in the first place.

"Let's see... it's a grab, a shake and a pull..." the Artiste mutters, closing his eyes. Something shifts, then twists violently, and the air becomes peculiarly dry as all the atmospheric moisture of the nearby vicinity, which there is a lot of, this being the seaside and all, collects into one place, starting to glow faintly as it reshapes for a few moments. Eventually, a distinct shape emerges, an ethereal silhouette of a woman that defines itself over the next few seconds. She appears to be wearing a robe with a hood, and her features are somewhat plain, though it is difficult to see, what with the gaping hole in her face where her right eye should be. There's a very similar hole in her chest as well, right where her heart should be, and the light, patchwork fabric of her robe has a great amount of what can be easily recognized as congealed blood on it.

"It worked!"

"That it did, regrettably. At least you took your time with it, fiend."

The Artiste smiles.

"Oh, come on. Am I really that terrible?"

"Even looking at you pains me greatly."

"Aw. Well, luckily, you don't have to look at me! And, just in case, let me lay down some ground rules."

The ghost sighs with a supernatural weariness.

"I order you to not kill yourself, first of all. I got the feeling your original plunge wasn't altogether accidental."

"Precisely timed and aimed, actually, with contingency plans included."

"Also, you'll mostly be working with my pals here. One of them is Scott," he says, pointing to the appropriate individual, "and the mangled individual over there is Kevin. There's also others - one rather pleasant desk, a man made of chairs and one that's unusually reddish-purple and dresses in quite a fruity fashion. There's also your old friends and one more demonic fellow - I'm sure you'll meet them all in due time."

"How wonderful."

"I'm glad you feel that way, Justine! So, my first question to you is how long will it take to get to Mothdale with this ship."

Justine sighs, closing her eyes for a moment.

"Too vague a question, answer is variable. Anything else?"

"I'm sure we'll think of something. What about you guys? Any questions you'd like to ask her? Don't be shy, now."

"Yes, pester me all you wish. Not like I have anything else to do or anywhere to be."

In the streets of Shriekpot...

Morton, too polite to assault or dodge a raving lunatic, tries to stop him with words.

"You state everything is a lie one moment then that truth is hidden the next. Which is it? If everything is a lie than is not the truth a lie, or if there is truth that is hidden by the lies than doesn't that mean not everything is a lie? What truth is being hidden, and how do you know that it's there? How can you tell what is real and what is fake?"

"Now you're learning!" the man says, advancing quickly. "Let us test your veracity, yes?"

He keeps advancing, outstretching a single hand and placing it on Morton's surface. Morton feels an unpleasant shiver run through his form, followed by the sensation of thirst flaring up, then disappearing, and the man's eyes narrow.

"Resistant, are we?"

He turns to Art.

"You also have the look of the demon-touched about you! Question is, will you hold up to the same examination?"

As the man reaches his hand for Art, Art slaps his hand away in what seems like a rather painful fashion - it even leaves a small mark that starts to trickle blood on the man's hand.

"Why, I am insulted that you would insinuate I have had anything to do with demons of any sort, you impudent wretch! Even more so, you have deigned to try and touch me in public, me, the eldest daughter of the high reeve of Glastington! I would strike you down on the spot were I not wary of covering my esteemed visage with your filthy low-born blood!" Art furiously proclaims to the man, who backs away a few steps, though whether this is due to beggar instincts or fear of sharp things impacting his soft tissues is unclear. He eyes Art suspiciously.

"Why have you not left my sight yet, you dirty little serf? Have I not made my grievances with you plain enough?" he asks, slowly reshaping his hand into an altogether more blade-like form.

The man seems about to say something, but Art cuts him off.

"And now you intend to talk back to me? I say, guards! There is a filthy layabout here, bothering his betters!" he shouts out conspicuously. The man, probably no stranger to altercations with the law, judging from his manner, starts to back away quickly, turning around while muttering angrily and leaving. Just as soon as he leaves, a guard arrives.

"Who is bothering you, ma'am?"

"Oh, officer, it was terrible! A dirty, unkempt man came at me, shouting about the illusory nature of existence or some such rot and insisting that he be allowed to manhandle both my esteemed person and my equally esteemed desk-in-waiting!"

"Ah. Him. What do you mean by 'manhandle', ma'am?"

"He extended his hand toward me, meaning to touch me in a sinister, dirty fashion and drag my good name through his own terrible brand of pseudo-intellectual beggary! He even placed his hand on my desk-in-waiting! Now my servants will have to wash him for five days and five nights in special scented oils and disinfectants, though the moral stain will be even more difficult to remove!"

The guard seems both intrigued and shocked by the description of the man's behavior, though he also takes a peculiar interest in Morton.

"This is your... um... desk-in-waiting?"

"Why, yes. My dearest, sweetest Morton - I've had him in my service since I was but a seedling in the Holy Pods of Procreation in distant Glastington! He is a treasure to me, and has not left my side throughout my entire life, so you understand my shock when a beggar simply up and touches him without provocation!"

The guard leans in toward Morton.

"Does it... um... he speak? Or hear? He seems to have arms. Can you point to where the man touched you, Morton?" the guard asks in a slightly condescending tone.

In a senseless void...

Niklas asks Helsvar if she can actually summon somebody helpful.

"Oh, sorry. Got a bit too much into high-level theoretical chopping. Could you talk to someone other than me, the villagers, or Torkel or Kruub? Like that apparently-not-a-demon man?"

"I don't know... I don't think so. He doesn't live near my village, does he? Or maybe in the next one? I could go further than that, but it would take a long time to return, and I cannot bear to leave you alone like this."

In Tailor Craig's room...

Sigmund, having attained insight about the various flavors and sorts of demonic entities, asks one more question.

"Mind if I watch you work?"

"Not particularly, feel free to watch, but I would advise against stepping inside the room itself - disturbing a circle in just the right way can cause disturbing and dangerous consequences."

With this in mind, Sigmund watches Craig keep on vandalizing his room. He can't help but wonder that he would have probably learned more had he arrived earlier - right now, Craig just seems to be putting on the finishing touches, and is done within fifteen minutes, stepping out of the room and standing next to his single audience member.

"I suppose that's quite enough for now. Not much more room in there, anyway. I'll be in the den if you need me," Craig says, half-walking, half-floating off quickly.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: October 22, 2013, 05:36:46 pm »

What are the chief dangers we may face?...And why did you address the maser as 'fiend'?
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: October 22, 2013, 05:52:12 pm »

Sigmund told to Craig:

-It is always a pleasure to know a little bit more about the supernatural beings above us.

Sigmund then went to see what the Artiste was doing, and found that ghost there. He asked:

-What is happening here?

((OOC edit: that was an epic turn. If this system encourages these kind of turns, then keep it, please))
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 719