Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 542625 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #9735 on: June 18, 2014, 04:59:40 am »

"Oh, oh, 'course I try!" Timothy insisted, bobbing up and down around his new friend excitedly. He was going to be helpful at last!
"I real-big helpfuls. You's real nice to me afta alls. Dunno what a 'kill-kit' thingy is, but. He say something with 'map', right? Maps is fun!"
A small complication occurred to the ghost, and he cocked his head thoughtfully. "Ummm... what's you want I to do, 'zackly?"
All his previous worries were forgotten for now, so happy he was to have found some purpose in un-life.

>Happily agree to help out my new friends!
...And then request clarification as to just what they want me to do.

"The Kilkit anomaly is... very dangerous. It's as pink as places get, pretty much. Things have really deteriorated around that neighborhood, and we don't really send people to map out anomalies anymore for really good reasons. So... this is a mission nobody expects people to come back from. Going to an anomaly, mapping it out and coming back is a really tall order for anyone. Nobody knows what could happen there. And divination doesn't even work in that area, and nobody really knows why."

"So, yeah. Sorry about that. I don't think we can get him to help you any other way, and this is incredibly dangerous work. Hopefully you didn't get your hopes up too much."

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9736 on: June 18, 2014, 11:55:27 am »

Thanks for caring about how I feel... /dead-er pan.

Anyway, since they can do that trick at range...How about we 'arrest' you and then you can give them a thorough thwapping the little pricks deserve at their central...hub.

Float around lazily]
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9737 on: June 18, 2014, 12:05:59 pm »

Anyway, since they can do that trick at range...How about we 'arrest' you and then you can give them a thorough thwapping the little pricks deserve at their central...hub.

Float around lazily]

"I'm... not sure why you think I can do that."

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9738 on: June 18, 2014, 01:41:41 pm »

Float around lazily]

((I'm not sure either.))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9739 on: June 18, 2014, 04:02:14 pm »

Float around lazily]

I don't. Either the Gub does whatever it wants with you and we get reassigned, or you spectacularly outperform your current reflection of your own abilities and we stop being slaves to an evil neigh-omnipotent demi-god. Either way, our drab existence is assured.
( this is one of the mages we were tasked to seize right? I am not misremembering things? I thought my notes were up to date.)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 04:04:43 pm by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9740 on: June 18, 2014, 04:06:11 pm »

I don't. Either the Gub does whatever it wants with you and we get reassigned, or you spectacularly outperform your current reflection of your own abilities and we stop being slaves to an evil neigh-omnipotent demi-god. Either way, our drab existence is assured.
( this is one of the mages we were tasked to seize right? I am not misremembering things?)

"That does not sound like it would end well for me, actually. So I'm afraid I cannot really help you with that."

((Actually, you were sent out to get any mages you can find. No specific names given, since the gub don't actually know any.))

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9741 on: June 18, 2014, 04:17:17 pm »

Aren't you at all interested in how the Gub works as an entity? This is your chance to find out in person! Think of it as a scholarship, to work under a God that actually meets and greets people!
It mentioned that it needed tutorship, from what I gather it has an entire cities worth of goods to pay you in. It's a bit of an idiot, so charge what the hell you like. Our master seemed to tolerate his service to the great jelly-ness.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9742 on: June 18, 2014, 04:22:47 pm »

Aren't you at all interested in how the Gub works as an entity? This is your chance to find out in person! Think of it as a scholarship, to work under a God that actually meets and greets people!
It mentioned that it needed tutorship, from what I gather it has an entire cities worth of goods to pay you in. It's a bit of an idiot, so charge what the hell you like.

"A god that will rip out my soul and that evidently wants something from me specifically. This sounds more than a little shady, honestly. And I do not really have any need for goods, or much else, for that matter, and I cannot say I have been terribly curious about sea monsters ever since I started to find out more about them," Lady Melville says, looking distinctly unnerved by this sales pitch.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9743 on: June 18, 2014, 11:06:48 pm »

[I honestly can't remember if Morton heard whether or not Justine was a diviner. I'm going to assume he probably picked it up, if not I apologize.]

Morton still isn't quite sure what to think. Was Gub responsible for what happened in town, or is he a byproduct? Perhaps an accident, or perhaps as something to shift blame away? Or did Gub truly lay the town low...? The desk isn't sure what to consider on the matter.

The desk was silent as Scott and Lady Melville conversed, his mind elsewhere. He started to tune back in at the end, and regretted not having been a part of the conversation earlier. "Good sir Scott, if good Lady Melville doesn't wish to go we shall not make her, it is of her wish and she's made it clear. We cannot confirm she's of a magical nature, but whether good Lady Melville possesses magical talents is irrelevant without her consent in the matter." The butler butted in, politely, and kept a calm and kindly tone.

"But yes, our task is to locate and see if we can convince those of magical talent to move residence into that of the town at the word of good group Gub. They wish to rebuild the town, I believe, and they believe that magical talent would aid in the endeavor. I'm of no knowledge about such magical matters, but I believe such a task would probably take much time and energy. It may be wise to look more into the matter however, before we take rash action.

Good mage Justine, could you please perhaps give us insight into the matter of what happened to Mothdale?"
The desk turned and gestured towards the ghost of the Diviner, a brown arm emerging once more from the desk as it motioned in her direction.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9744 on: June 19, 2014, 05:20:32 am »

Outside a cabin in the woods...

"I see..." Sigmund says, rather discouraged from attempting muscle in on some crazy hermit if said crazy hermit may have some form of horrible death in store for any trespassers, as one always expected hermits to have, "...then we could probably get back to Eckledun if we follow that trail there."

This reasonable conclusion seems palatable to both Kevin and Art, so off the group goes without even attempting to investigate the cabin for fear of the cannibal demon army that no doubt lives within. Following the trail, they eventually find themselves... not in civilization. Rather, they appear to have come to a clearing in the woods, one that appears to have been excavated to a significant degree not too long ago - down below one can see what looks like some sort of stairwell leading down into darkness. There are no signs of life around the excavation, but there are sounds audible from the stairwell. They sound a bit like whistling, actually.

In the dining room of Castle Melville...

Not very happy about Scott's rather unsubtle attempts at convincing Lady Melville to go the city of gub, Morton intervenes to not let the situation deteriorate further.

"Good sir Scott, if good Lady Melville doesn't wish to go we shall not make her, it is of her wish and she's made it clear. We cannot confirm she's of a magical nature, but whether good Lady Melville possesses magical talents is irrelevant without her consent in the matter," he says. "But yes, our task is to locate and see if we can convince those of magical talent to move residence into that of the town at the word of good group Gub. They wish to rebuild the town, I believe, and they believe that magical talent would aid in the endeavor. I'm of no knowledge about such magical matters, but I believe such a task would probably take much time and energy. It may be wise to look more into the matter however, before we take rash action."

Turning to Justine, he asks her to use her talent once more. "Good mage Justine, could you please perhaps give us insight into the matter of what happened to Mothdale?"

"The picture I am getting from all this is that somebody killed Jurgen Melville, some kind of third party, it seems like, and then transmuted the city to host the gub - this was probably the work of the mages of the Black Circle, and it seems like the gub were installed there rather than moving in of their own accord, though they seemed very pleased about the matter. The process of taking over the town was seemingly very violent, but I'm not getting a feeling of direct gub involvement there. I... don't think I can get more specific than that without running the risk of getting the details wrong," Justine replies after a moment of thought.

"Divination does tend to be better with space than time, if I remember it right," Lady Melville remarks, and Justine nods. "It does very much confirm my suspicions of a plot at work, rather than the mere aggression of sea beasts. Jurgen could very safely deal with those."

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9745 on: June 19, 2014, 09:30:52 am »

-What can I say? A miner would not be an incovenience, and could actually help us to get back to civilization. Don't you think so?

Sigmund was relieved that there were no crazy mages here. Even if he turned hostile for some unexpected reason, a miner should not be a problem, at least not for the three of them.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9746 on: June 19, 2014, 11:20:16 am »

Maybe we can replace most of our quota with these 'Black Circle' thugs. Any chance of a location Justine?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9747 on: June 19, 2014, 11:30:40 am »

Maybe we can replace most of our quota with these 'Black Circle' thugs. Any chance of a location Justine?

"None nearby - there's a tower of them at Eckledun, but, other than that, nothing."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9748 on: June 19, 2014, 11:59:56 am »

"Crazy hermits digging tunnels to the centre of the earth. But it's not like we've got a choice. We should've just looted the house and then walked away."
Descend the stairs. Carefully.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9749 on: June 19, 2014, 12:29:12 pm »

Sigmund sighs:

-That sounded like something that our beloved psychopath would say. But, well, I hope we don't startle the poor person.
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 719