Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 111

Author Topic: The Bay12 RPG - Made in RPG Maker VX! - Back again by popular demand!  (Read 223699 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 RPG - Made in RPG Maker VX! - You can be a player!
« Reply #1110 on: November 20, 2012, 08:41:36 pm »

Considering all of the fake big bads and fake fake big bads, etc.  I thought it would be funny if the game sets up the starting PC as 'the chosen one,' but the true chosen one winds up being one of the other non-optional characters* instead.

*remember: my character is an optional party member who you have to find in order to have him join the adventurers.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: November 20, 2012, 08:44:23 pm »

Here's an Idea, how about the big bad is the big bad?

Honestly, you people...
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #1112 on: November 20, 2012, 08:49:55 pm »

The MC should be the Big Bad.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: November 20, 2012, 08:52:13 pm »

We also should stop being kind of retarded.

The big bad is Armok. It is clearly visible from 1/5th of the way through the game. End of Story.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: November 20, 2012, 09:17:49 pm »

The big bad is Armok. It is clearly visible from 1/5th of the way through the game. End of Story.

Yes but I love the idea that before Armok shows up to make the story superfluous (like some RPGs) everyone just lays down speaches about how they are the true final boss.

Creating a boss fight composed of multiple bosses. Many who are "Final bosses".

Armok should just not be mentioned or visable at all. In true RPG tradition (FF8 AND FF9 and Fable 3)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: November 20, 2012, 09:19:44 pm »

Considering all of the fake big bads and fake fake big bads, etc.  I thought it would be funny if the game sets up the starting PC as 'the chosen one,' but the true chosen one winds up being one of the other non-optional characters* instead.

*remember: my character is an optional party member who you have to find in order to have him join the adventurers.

Of course! Svampapa was the chosen one all along! It makes perfect sense! (Sorry Zanzetkuken, but you're already a super-boss. You aren't going to be the chosen one as well.)

Yes but I love the idea that before Armok shows up to make the story superfluous (like some RPGs) everyone just lays down speaches about how they are the true final boss.

Creating a boss fight composed of multiple bosses. Many who are "Final bosses".

Armok should just not be mentioned or visable at all.

Armok needs to be mentioned at a couple points, so that it isn't a complete surprise when he shows up. However, the fact that he renders the entire story superfluous shouldn't be hinted at all. As far as everybody in the game is concerned, Armok is just a really violent god.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: November 20, 2012, 09:22:33 pm »

Yes but Armok is the really obvious final boss without mentioning anyhow.

Anyhow the fake last boss being in the style of Romancing Saga 2 would be great (Where it is essentially 1 boss... but its form keeps adding another boss to the pile which gives it another attack)

The fact that the true armok isn't mentioned is supposed to be a joke of the "Space Flea" final bosses who just jump out of nowhere as the last boss having the BAREST hint of even existing (often not even being hinted upon)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:24:27 pm by Neonivek »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: November 20, 2012, 09:54:04 pm »

Are we talking about Armok the god of blood, or Armok the forum member?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: November 20, 2012, 09:55:46 pm »

The former.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: November 20, 2012, 10:22:00 pm »

Why be so simplistic? Besides, all I have to contribute for the foreseeable future is ideas of what others should do, so don't disparage them.

Besides, we're Bay12. Overcomplicating everything would be our motto if Losing is Fun didn't come first.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: November 20, 2012, 10:23:53 pm »

How about 'Making a game' comes first?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: November 20, 2012, 10:27:30 pm »

How can we make a game if we lack a plot?

Also,
all I have to contribute for the foreseeable future is ideas of what others should do, so don't disparage them.
If I need to make a Rube Goldbergian plot with which you and, hopefully one day, I as well can build the game around, don't drive me off.

-----

Anyways...Can you have items give access to skills?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: November 20, 2012, 10:29:49 pm »

(Sorry Zanzetkuken, but you're already a super-boss. You aren't going to be the chosen one as well.)

I know that!  Why do you think I put the reminder in!

Maybe both, with the forum member being the decoy Armok.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: November 20, 2012, 10:32:42 pm »

As a separate, tri-ninja'd idea...

Maybe the ghost of the warlord is a recurring mini-boss who also shows up in various sidequests instead of being the bonus boss, a d instead of the previously mentioned end...

Once Tim is defeated, the dwarves offer you entrance to the Upper Realms, where you attain fame through a series of related quests. The central settlement, a dwarven fortress combining the best and the maddest of the community, is a sort of a hub for this activity; every quest you finish ends with you bringing a trophy to the dwarven king. These trophies include magical items and an Adamantine Pick. The magical items let the dwarves explore deeper, safer.
If you need to collect trophies based off of Dwarf Fortress, they should be things like a certain number of elf ears, the bones of an air-drowned mermaid, the last tears of a dwarven child for battle through a life of cruelty, an artifact rope reed amulet encrusted with shells and covered in the blood of its creator, and something with a picture of a dwarf surrounded by cats and/or eating cheese.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: November 20, 2012, 10:34:12 pm »

(Sorry Zanzetkuken, but you're already a super-boss. You aren't going to be the chosen one as well.)

I know that!  Why do you think I put the reminder in!

Whoops. Misread. Sorry about that.

Maybe both, with the forum member being the decoy Armok.

If they are separate, then how would we differentiate them? Well... I guess godhood would be a good indicator. Maybe they're one and the same, but Armok has to ascend first or something?
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 111