Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven psychiatric ward  (Read 6591 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Dwarven psychiatric ward
« on: November 06, 2012, 08:01:27 am »

I just ran across what is possibly the most severe case of borderline personality I have ever seen on a dwarf.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I Imagine she does not stop biting at the dead part of her nails. All the way to the bone, man, all the way to the bone.

If you run across any seriously mentally disturbed dwarves, please send them here.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven psychiatric ward
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 08:33:33 am »

She seems an all around d wreck. Round Vodidith shed be lucky to even get hauling duty.
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 09:16:16 am »

She rarely feels discouraged. Good for her.

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 12:03:24 pm »

I feel moot pointing this out, but that's not borderline personality disorder at all.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 01:57:56 pm »

Nervous wreck who is reserved and doesn't seek relationships.

Huh.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 07:04:11 pm »

Nervous wreck who is reserved and doesn't seek relationships.

Huh.

I think the point was more being a nervous wreck who loves to take risks and doesn't let anything dissuade her anyway.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 01:23:39 am »

Some dwarfs should go insane for no reason... This would be one of them

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 03:01:14 am »

If we take the symptoms one at a time, we can see quite a bit of support for a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder:
  • "Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment." -- "She talked with father lately."
  • "A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships..." -- "She does not actively seek friendships and is incredibly distant and reserved.", "She is guarded in relationships with others."
  • "Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self." -- "She does not feel effective in life."
  • "Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging ..." -- "She needs alchohol to get through the working day." "She is a risk-taker and a thrill seeker."
  • "Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, threats or self-injuring behavior" -- She's a dwarf.  Does anything more need to be said?
  • Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood -- Again, she's a dwarf. 
  • Chronic feelings of emptiness -- We can only guess, but "She was upset to be wearing old clothing lately" seems to indicate that she's attempting to fill a void.
  • Inappropriate anger or difficulty controlling anger. -- Dwarf.
  • Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation, delusions or severe dissociative symptoms -- This is the only symptom we have no evidence of. 

Also, combined with the rest of the subject's file, "really poor focus" there is some support for a diagnosis of ADHD, and "very bad intuition, little linguistic ability" may be indicative of aspergers or autism, but there is not enough information to fully support or refute either of those. 

Of course, this is armchair psychiatrist-ing by someone who doesn't have any real training.  I would suggest sending the poor girl to a real psychiatrist, and perhaps some therapy sessions, assuming you can get her out of the fortress.  Maybe the goblins can help. 

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 03:10:21 am »

Twelve, shes screwed now. Only way out is being magma'd.

Well then, I don't think just being a dwarf can account for that. We need to observe her.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

muzzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 01:35:42 pm »

IANAP, but...

Also, combined with the rest of the subject's file, "really poor focus" there is some support for a diagnosis of ADHD, and "very bad intuition, little linguistic ability" may be indicative of aspergers or autism, but there is not enough information to fully support or refute either of those.
People with Asperger's syndrome often exhibit exceptional linguistic ability, compared to other autism spectrum disorders.

You also seem to have a different interpretation of "unstable". From what I've been told, in this context, someone with consistently low self-esteem ("does not feel effective in life") actually has a stable self-image. And likewise for relationships.

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 03:08:46 pm »

It's BPD as long as any 5 of the 9 are filled, and from what I've read of that post you're using rather dubious logs as supposed support for BPD.

"Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment." -- "She talked with father lately."

Then again, I'm not sure if you're actually using some of these things as actual support... "She talked with father lately" isn't strong support of the attached symptom, MOST people would have talked to their fathers lately. I do all the time and that doesn't mean it's a symptom of BDP or that I'm frantically avoiding some sort of abandonment. Frantic efforts would include talking to father at every opportunity and purposely following her father. 

"A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships..." -- "She does not actively seek friendships and is incredibly distant and reserved.", "She is guarded in relationships with others."

Those aren't interpersonal, from what I understand of that term interpersonal relates to how one sees one's position within his/her society, and anyway being reserved or distant != unstable or intense interpersonal relationships. These bits would also go against the first symptom.

"Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self." -- "She does not feel effective in life."

Actually, such a feeling would be classified as stable. It's a negative view of oneself, but it's stable nonetheless. If you were looking for unstable, a good example would be something similar to bipolar disorder, feeling great about oneself one day and feeling like absolute shit the next.

Chronic feelings of emptiness -- We can only guess, but "She was upset to be wearing old clothing lately" seems to indicate that she's attempting to fill a void.

...You're kidding, right? I would be upset if I wore old clothing all the time. Anyone would be upset. That doesn't mean she's 'attempting to fill a void' (a wild jump to such a conclusion). 'Attempting to fill a void' would be like purposely wearing that old clothing beyond reason as a reminder of something that is now lost.

"Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging ..." -- "She needs alchohol to get through the working day." "She is a risk-taker and a thrill seeker."

The DSM-IV also lists substance abuse (including alcohol), reckless driving, and other more severe activity. Needing alcohol for normal function probably wouldn't be regarded as a strong case for this, binge drinking however would. Risk-taking and thrill seeking are normal behaviors of many people, making those a symptom for BDP would be impulsive behavior, such as actively seeking out opportunities to put onself in risk.

"Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, threats or self-injuring behavior" -- She's a dwarf.  Does anything more need to be said?

Most wouldn't go out of their way to get into harm's. From what I've noticed, AI isn't a very good representation of sanity regarding suicidal behavior.

Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood -- Again, she's a dwarf. 

And another rather poorly though out explanation, dwarf moods are pretty consistent unless they get a strange mood or you're terrible at fortress design and management, the latter of which would be a perfectly reasonable reaction.

Then again, I think we're both over-analyzing a few lines of text in a game with psychological disorders not even implemented.

And now I need to return to the paper I'm currently writing about this subject, what a coincidence.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 03:11:50 pm by JimDale »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 03:15:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure most psychological disorder with dwarves are tracable directly back to players' actions :D

Then again, some dwarves just takes breaks all the time, all season long, and then some. I think that's some lazibonetitis.

untakenusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 05:00:32 pm »

Am I the only one who finds it wierd that we are trying to diagnose a computer generated being that isn't even human, with mental disorders?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 05:07:40 pm »

Am I the only one who finds it wierd that we are trying to diagnose a computer generated being that isn't even human, with mental disorders?

Nah, we're expected to anthropomorphize, if we're to pass our own Turing tests.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 05:09:25 pm »

I wouldn't go near a dwarven mental hospital.  Bad, bad, bad for business to be beaten to death with a large plastic table.

But interesting idea for a mod.  Dwarf Therapist would be upset, but imagine you run a ward instead of a fort!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: [1] 2