Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: How did YOU find Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 12021 times)

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did YOU find Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2013, 11:03:29 am »

Boat Murdered. Then just dived in with the wiki and had a lot of FUN.
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

brydson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2013, 01:05:03 pm »

I found it years ago through the UnReal World forums...at first I dismissed it all as too hard, one day I finally attempted to learn to play. The rest is history, engraved up and down hallways throughout the land.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2013, 05:46:45 pm »

A mention on the DarkBasic forums, which led me to Boatmurdered, which led me to actually start playing.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2013, 06:36:45 pm »

A short mention of it on extra credits had me look it up on tv tropes. I read about all the things you could do, then downloaded it.
My interactive forum thing: Adventures of Sir Major

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2013, 06:54:38 pm »

I was bored so I looked up a "top 10 obscure pc games list" or something stupid and came across it. I was interested, but Boatmurdered was what got me to actually play.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2013, 03:15:16 am »

I saw an article in "Games for Windows" (wish I still had it) that showed Tarn and Zach playing Go, with a giant backdrop of the world in ASCII.  My Rogue/Nethack/Angband roots suddenly woke up and got excited at the sheer ambition of this wonderful game.
Here is a link to some scans: http://www.tigsource.com/2007/06/29/games-for-windows-magazine-dwarf-fortress/

I remember seeing the download page with the new "3D" version but it was recommended on the very same page to STAY AWAY FROM IT so I started on 2D.  I actually did not get good enough at 2D to even get to the Magma or Candy.  I was really clueless and my biggest success was making a floodgate farm and plenty of booze, just before a band of goblins came and wiped me out.  Lots of cave-ins in those days, as well, which is something I kind of miss.

The forgiving nature of farming in 3D really allowed my fortresses to survive more than a couple years.  Hee hee!

Those pictures are insanely sick.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2013, 03:15:54 am »

I live in a dwarf fortress IRL and needed a decent simulator to plan where to dig. I googled around for "good way to strike the earth" and it was on the second or third page.

Specterspeck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2013, 09:19:25 pm »

I found DF through lets play such as Syrupleaf and boatmurdered.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2013, 10:18:02 pm »

I saw an article in "Games for Windows" (wish I still had it) that showed Tarn and Zach playing Go, with a giant backdrop of the world in ASCII.  My Rogue/Nethack/Angband roots suddenly woke up and got excited at the sheer ambition of this wonderful game.
Here is a link to some scans: http://www.tigsource.com/2007/06/29/games-for-windows-magazine-dwarf-fortress/

I remember seeing the download page with the new "3D" version but it was recommended on the very same page to STAY AWAY FROM IT so I started on 2D.  I actually did not get good enough at 2D to even get to the Magma or Candy.  I was really clueless and my biggest success was making a floodgate farm and plenty of booze, just before a band of goblins came and wiped me out.  Lots of cave-ins in those days, as well, which is something I kind of miss.

The forgiving nature of farming in 3D really allowed my fortresses to survive more than a couple years.  Hee hee!

Those pictures are insanely sick.

Oh wow, never seen those before.  I already thought Toady and Threetoe were cool, but now I see them playing Go?   :o  I wanna know who is the stronger player.    :)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2013, 07:12:12 am »

I've no idea where I first heard of DF, truth be told. I suspect it might have been through Space Station 13 a few years ago. Only actually tried the game a year or two ago, though.

Dara

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Ambiguously manic
    • View Profile
    • A Discordant Domain
« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2013, 11:28:20 am »

I think I found Dwarf Fortress through an idle search for models from The Hive Workshop when I was busy trying to edit a map from Warcraft 3. I first checked google for some reason. I don't remember what link it was or whether I found it through another source; I am pretty sure google was the first time I encountered it.

I'd heard its name from a friend at a birthday party. Rather, a friend of a friend was going on about it. It sounded too processor intensive from the way he was talking about FPS drop, so I didn't think about it until I saw its name later on. I tried it and was immediately hooked, even if the rather daunting interface took me a few tries to get used to (I still find out things I didn't know about the game. I love it). I'd messed around with ASCII games before, so the graphics weren't that much of a problem. I still play without a tileset and can't bring myself to get one.

Oh, hi. I've lurked on the forums for close to three years now, I think. I felt guilty since I learned a lot about the long-time forumnites when they knew nothing of me. It didn't seem to be a fair and equivalent exchange of information. I registered to correct that discrepancy.
She is the girl with the sharpest tongue,
He is the boy with the smartest of words,
It is the youth with the most beautiful smile,
Shi is the child with an infectious joy-
But,
I am the sum of the four.

darklord1120

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2013, 02:04:26 pm »

Jefmajor.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2013, 06:51:53 pm »

Kie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2013, 06:57:26 pm »

A PC Gamer magazine. That issue had an article with the "Top 100 free games" on it. They all didn't catch my attention except for the one that had "Dwarf" and "Fortress" in it's title. I downloaded it, opened it, and immediately called it stupid and closed out.

Was rereading the same article again and decided to see the appeal behind the game that looked like garbage. Did some Googling, read Boatmurdered, watched some videos, and started playing for reals with a new found interest.
Vae Victis

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2013, 07:25:23 pm »

I heard about it on the forums for Wyvern, a graphical MUD that's offline indefinitely but apparently still being worked on by its developer (I'd call it moribund).  I brushed across the name but never actually played it, then one day the name popped into my head and I googled it.  That was all the way back at the beginning of 2008.

Oh my god, I've been here for five years.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11