Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 435

Author Topic: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension  (Read 958680 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:99 failures, one amazing success.
« Reply #4020 on: April 11, 2013, 09:11:29 pm »

I don't know how this weapon is supposed to work, but if shape changing is the only problem, can't you use a reusable mark or a conditional rune (use the one that activates when hit for example to do buttons.) to achieve that?

For those of us that don't know what this object is, can someone please describe it for me?

It's basically a nondescript object that could be used either grab and suck the humanity out of people or used as a sort of energy shield. The Problem I'm having is the way the system parses things, if I combine the two actions I would end up with an object that had the ability to suck ethereal walls out of people. Oh well, I think I've got a way to do it.

And here I was thinking people would be more interested in the scythe that causes massive hemorrhaging even with minor cuts or the flaming sword that gets more powerful the more pool you have. That would have shown off an interesting magic circle too.
((Can't you just create the weapon as two interlocking parts? One of them has the humanity drain mark, the other has the shield mark. You could have a draining gauntlet with shielding rings worn on it.))
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 09:21:35 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: April 11, 2013, 09:15:02 pm »

I can't wait until you two teams start competing even more and start killing each other... or at least i hope that happens. That'll be real fun. A war with highly versatile magic.... has a nice ring to it...
I predict many giant flame watchers flying in every direction.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4022 on: April 11, 2013, 10:23:30 pm »

Right... these things are creepy and I'm expecting one to rise from the dead just as I'm looting him/her. Right let's look behind door #2!

Reload and set my shotbow to 6 shot mode just in case. Then check out the door with the runes on it. If it turn out I'm safe from undead nasties that I'm expecting to appear (or any other deadly creatures), turn some dead guy into gold with the words "Dorbaelo Cantor".
(You want I should start summoning in the wheel skeletons?)

You reload your bow, set it to "Fuck shit up" mode and look at the door. It's a massive and clearly old thing; like a vault door made of solid stone. The runes and circles inscribed in it glow with a faint green that intensifies as you move toward it. It seems to be a seal, preventing further progress. Hmm.

[pot:4+1]
You make exactly one golden corpse. Well, thats a thing.

((Hurrah for incompetence.))
Grab the villager's head and say "Dorbaelo Thrancaole" with the intention to kill him.
Nevermind, I forgot I only had one pool.
Try to take the pitchfork from him, then, if I get his weapon, stab him in the throat.
[spd:1]
[pit spd:3]
[pit str:5]
[pit dex:2]
[dex:2]
He busily aerates the ground, you busily flail at nothing. High level martial arts this is not.

Nifty
Touch the wall to see how hot the aura is.Then head off to the forest and turn off the ring.
(Fire fist would be bad if I was surrounded by trees)
The aura seems as hot as a normal fire. Ie pretty damn hot, really. You deactivate the ring and head off in the general direction of the forest; ie down. On the way there you come across a rubber man and a pitch fork wielder. You think they're trying to fight one another...but they're doing a very bad job at it.

((This'll either be awesome or kill me horribly.))
Jixiu looks at his wings, flapping them experimentally. "Well then. That went well." He takes a deep breath, releases it slowly, then says "Clo-Caltel Conth Shubhallethel."
((Don'tkillmehorriblydon'tkillmehorriblydon'tkillmehorribly))

You get a spear. It has a sort of split metal frame at the top that holds a twitching spike of destructive energy. Neato.

Shed a tear and say Rothon Halthel again.

[pot:4]
You get a rather short lightning human. It still has a head. Hmm, gonna have to fix that.

scratch out a couple more runes.

You need to tell me which rune goes where. Because one of them is gonna burn up. Specifically, you see how there are 4 slots there? But how one is slightly bigger then the others? Thats significant.

Llimp over towards the remains of the fire and hot ash until my leg begins to melt.

Then shape the stalk into long shaft, moving the eye around so that it's in the middle of my thigh and facing behind me.

"It helps because wax is more max is more easily shaped than flesh," Ozzy mutters to himself as he works.

If successful, shout "Harial Karenthar"

If unsuccessful, shout "Shareeb Zerth" and use a stripe from my rope to tie off my lower leg above the eye.

You walk down to the ruined tavern and use the fire there to try and reform your leg.
[dex:5]
That seems to have gone well, now to the other part.
[pot:5]
Well, bad news is that this works not at all. See, that eyestalk had bones, and when you rearranged it like that you end up with what amounts to a leg shaped bag of random muscle and bone, completely useless.

Good news is that you rampant flesh fuckery has brought you parathun's favor! Your leg reverts to normal and you grow an extra pair of arms! Sweet!

Garstorpit shoshashzel Cycallozion at the beast!
[spd:3]
[sea spd:1]
[pot:4]
[dex:6]
You spear the beast with a duel eyeblast of extremely forceful poison. It dies and grants you a point, but your right arm seems to have been fairly badly corroded and weakened.

politely excuse myself from the tavern and then start running towards the bridge out of town, assist Derm or corsair depending on who i see first and assist them with words and stuff.
Well derm is all the way over by the sea, so I guess corsair is closest. However, the first enemy you encounter is actually a pitchforker near the sea intersection.

[I can only assume that we Sky pirates have stolen all the luck with our shenanigans. Or just that one of you have pissed off the horrible wonderful and benevolent RNG.]

"Hm, dang, that didn't quite work. Ah well. Onward, towards the sea Sparky! Truly marvelous this, although not quite what I envisioned for our first ship, but our next will be just that much better! So, what to do when we reach the ocean? Shall we try and find a real ship, commandeer it from whoever owns such a vessel, and turn it into one of our own? Hm, not sure if Sparky could lift such though, not unless we made it light... Or I suppose I could simply make Sparky bigger. Good thing we know a word for both of those to do that, eh?" Glassco comments with a snide smirk at the world from behind his mask. Nothing can possible go wrong!

You make it 3/4ths of the way there...
You make it to the area above the beach!

"~Joyous-rewarding-science.~"

Do more science.
[pot:5+1,6+1]

The wall cracks and shatters into pieces. The ground does likewise.

"Hmm. Still a little fleshy to go without a weapon."
"Cainthalsaz Hobitaeaod Szaheeb Contallthelthel!"

Take sword, decapitate raider. If the sword is not made, punch raider in the face.
[spd:3+1]
[raider spd:5]
[raid dex:4]
[raid str:4]
[spd:3+1]
[end:2-1]
The Raider steps in as you start t speak and proceeds to jam is spear straight through your jaw and rip it off your face. This is sure to make speaking rather hard...

Finally got it. Onwards and Upwards!
Equip helmet. Finish up the circle and activate it. Start a new circle.
[pot:3]
The circle glows but fails to do anything before dissipating. Maybe it was malformed.
[pot:5]
You inscribe the next circle.

(Also, remember that the circle doesn't drain pool until you activate it. Inscribing it costs nothing, but it won't activate it unless you have the pool)

"This is Ridiculous"
Say words then kill mage with sword
[spd:6-1]
[heavy spd:3]
[cap spd:2]
[mage1 spd:5]
[mage2 spd:2]
You and one of the mages get your cast off at the same instant.
[mage pot:2]
[dex:6]
[mage spd:2]
[mage 2 spd:3]
You breath a plume of glowing dust, a fog of distortion that sprays out and consumes the two mages instantly, shreading them apart into distorted lumps of flesh.

(you gain 2 points)

[cap dex:1+1]
Welp
[heavy dex:4]
[heavy str:4+1]
[spd:5+1-2]
[str:4+2]
The captain misses you entirely and you easily deflect the heavy's blow with your sword. This is going much better!

Silica envisions an arrow with an internal force field containment unit that can be loaded and deactivated upon impact. "Shoshashzel Esprio Clo-Caltel Shaontrod"
[pot:3+2]
You summon a clockwork arrow. It looks fairly normal, except for a strange lump in the center.

"YES!"
Say more words.
[pot:6+1]
You get a metal bracer with several spikes around it. Judging from the mechanisms on the spikes and pieces that look like they attach to the fingers of the wearer, the wearer would need only to make a fist and the spikes would be jammed forward with some force.

Continue with THE PLAN. I will send another PM to remind you of THE PLAN.

You finish drawing your second circle outside the first. You activate the first. The first circle glows and red leaks from the rune into the arrow. The arrow becomes red, strangely fluid looking but still mostly solid; like a gel. You activate the next circle and white leaks from the rune into the arrow. The arrow seems to change to a pinkish hue and solidify into solid, powdery looking substance. 

Runes! Always more runes!
Now this is a bit strange. The first one doesn't do anything. Nor does the second or third. Perhaps they only work when in circles? Or perhaps only under certain conditions.

Thaltelsho Donth NoNoheim
Levitate some sand.
Pick up some metal scraps.

Your words don't do anything. Maybe they were malformed.
[will:4-1]
The sand wiggles a bit, but doesn't float. Oh well.

You grab a few bits of random scrap metal.

Well, making my pot go up was a good choice, it appears.
Look for something else. Say Cainthalsaz Contallthelthel. Make it appear a good way away from me, in case of going boom.
[1]
You find nothing of interest.

[pot:2+1]
Arcane energy coalesces, struggles to hold on for a moment and then dissipates. Dang. Well, slowly getting better.

"Hmm. I quite like the sound of that idea. However, before we get there, we'll need something no pirate should be without. A flag. Szahell Thrancaole."
[pot:2+1]
You get a few shreds of fabric, nothing like what you wanted. Well...damn it.

((Maybe we are doing it wrong. Piecewise, is it possible for two or more to co-operate when using words the same way runes are prepared?))

((If possible:))
Kin tried one last time, only this time instead of saying words he tried to keep Thrakor's result intact with will. Thrakor's head was then grafted on that body.

((If not:))
Kin tried one last time, saying Rothon Halthel and then used the better of results as Thrakor's new body.
Nope. Thats one of the things that makes circles and words different. Words have more offensive potential, but circles are very powerful in the fact that they can be used cooperatively, effectively allowing several low pool people to summon massive and dangerous things.

[pot:6]
You summon an 8 foot man made of electricity. Yay!

*sigh*

Try again!

[pot:3+1]
You summon a rather short zombie. But a zombie none the less! Unfortunately you lack the will to control it and it just sort of wanders off.

(I should explain this. Will:0-3= one minion. 4-6=2 etc. exception to this is those under Nul-sheal. They can have one more minion then normal as long as it's made of their element.)

Try and get up and whack him in the head with my stick.

((Oh for fucks sake.))

[spd:4]
[spear spd:3]
[dex:3]
[str:1+1]
You glance a bow off his shoulder, but it does next to nothing to him, a bruise at best.
[spear dex:2]
Luck for you he doesn't even manage that much.

(If you die and still want to go melee you may want to restat yourself for such.)

Will little fungus missiles to grow on the chest of the suit of armor and put it on. Then take my horde and head down to the village.
[will:2+2]
You create little spore shooters on your armor. That done, you head down and reach the village outer gate unmolested, your fungal army in tow.

((Heh, this time I forgot to make an actual post, but sent the PM. I am really out of this week.))

Words.

The barrel begins to ascend twice as fast. It's getting dangerously near the clouds. Also it begins screaming. Thats new.

This... This is CHAOS. CIRCLES ARE THE SHAPES OF EVIL!
Spend turn in starting room, curled up in fetal position.

Statuseses

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: April 11, 2013, 10:35:42 pm »

Hm.... door with runes that glow as i get closer.... I predict it'll turn my arm to melted flesh if I touch it.... I hope i'm wrong. Also something is telling me not to open this door... but I wanna know!

Throw a rock at the door. if nothing happens to the rock, touch the door. If nothing still happens and I can't open it, say "Dorbaelo Caltalleth" while touching it.

If I can open it normally, then turn a corpse into diamond with "Dorbaelo Adamenstiar" for more exp farming!

((Oh God no! I hate those skeleton wheel guys.... Man i hate them.... along with just about every other enemy from that game.))
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:37:47 pm by superBlast »
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: April 11, 2013, 10:41:59 pm »

Point to strength.

Shareeb Shubha Hobitaeaod. Attempt to use result to repair arm.

Use WORDS for science!

Then explore further.

I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: April 11, 2013, 10:48:13 pm »

Holy crap, we're finally successful!  Hook me up to the big one, please!

Get hooked up.  Say some words while at it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #4026 on: April 11, 2013, 10:50:51 pm »

Will my Armor to gain muscles that boost my strength and offset it's speed penalty. Then take my horde into the forest until I find a clearing, and will a Large mushroom to grow until it's taller than I am.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: April 11, 2013, 11:01:58 pm »

"Huh... I'll have to try these later."

RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNES!

Samari45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: April 11, 2013, 11:06:40 pm »

Ok. New plan.
Go inside house and find paper and pen. Science experiment Alpha.

Saurinae

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: April 11, 2013, 11:13:30 pm »

Hmm maybe I should help a little.
walk up behind the pitchforker and club him in the back of the head with my crystal staff. Having the intent of knocking him out.
Nevermind the disturbingly knowing look that kobold has on her face. That dwarf SHOULD be embarrased!

Vakothu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: April 11, 2013, 11:25:46 pm »

Whether or not Saurinae succeeds in knocking him out or not, grab the pitchforker's upper body and say "Dorbaelo Thrancaole".

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: April 11, 2013, 11:36:05 pm »

"HELL YEAH"
((+1 Speed +1 Will))((and almost forgot my action...))
Jump back and will my sword to barbecue the captain
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 11:38:57 pm by Corsair »
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: April 11, 2013, 11:52:00 pm »

Whatever is down there strikes us using our own magic as attack vectors, magic will be useless directly against it except from long range. I'll need to prepare an arsenal of weapons and find people who can use them. Once we find out the target's location, we should be able to annihilate it from long range, the temple seems to protect us from supernatural influences it seems.
Silica says <Words>
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 05:57:10 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: April 12, 2013, 12:22:33 am »

"~Tee-hee.~"

Giggle girlishly, then more science.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: April 12, 2013, 12:32:02 am »

words i guess.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 435