Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 435

Author Topic: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension  (Read 962287 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension
« Reply #6345 on: July 04, 2013, 12:55:14 pm »

... Huh.

Well, I always had the secret opinion that 'If theres a world ending abomination why the fuck are we dividing up and not going full blast to ahnihilate that fucker'?
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Better to join together.

But how are you going to get some souls if you don't fight each other first?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6346 on: July 04, 2013, 12:57:54 pm »

NPC's. Or there might possibly be a way to combine our respective pot/pool.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6347 on: July 04, 2013, 01:10:46 pm »

On another note, I'm thinking of putting together a perplexicon Roguelike. I sent PW a PM requesting permission, but I don't think he saw it, so I'll just post here. I've already got the beginnings of the thing programmed.
Ooh...I have a feeling that it'll be a letdown*, but it sounds awesome!
*No offense to you or your programming ability, but Perplexicon just isn't the kind of game that computerizes well. I'm afraid that it'll be kinda limited. Case in point: Remember the plant-control staff? piecewise had no idea what to do with it, so he made something up, a something that really improved the game.

NPC's. Or there might possibly be a way to combine our respective pot/pool.
Or we designate/volunteer one player as a sacrifice and keep killing his character over and over.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6348 on: July 04, 2013, 01:25:48 pm »

((Yeah, if you want to retain the full capabilities of Perplexicon in a game, you'd either need to account for every possible word combo (or at least every possible word category combo) or acquire an AI capable of understanding human speech, like IBM's Watson. The first option is doable, but it takes a lot of time, the second, not so much, unless you're from the future.

You could do a game in the spirit of perplexicon though. Catstaffs and garstopit ahoy.

EDIT: Yeah, but sacrificing players would be kinda cheap. It's not within the spirit of the game. Kinda like cheating. Not that piecewise would be able to do something to stop it, but I just think it's not nice.))
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 01:27:29 pm by Parisbre56 »

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6349 on: July 04, 2013, 01:32:56 pm »

I think I can do it. I'm going to refine the language somewhat, so that for example, just saying fire does nothing, saying create fire gets you the burst of fire, saying control fire would grant you temporary control over fire, etc.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6350 on: July 04, 2013, 01:41:48 pm »

You can easily create a Perplexicon-like game, but I just don't think you'll be able to manage much of the fun.  So you have control over firefungus, and you want to make a fungus minimech crossed with springheel jack.  How would your game handle that? 

At best, I can see ordering it to form some pre-defined shapes/monsters, and moving those around.  Nothing more.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6351 on: July 04, 2013, 01:43:23 pm »

((Yeah, if you want to retain the full capabilities of Perplexicon in a game, you'd either need to account for every possible word combo (or at least every possible word category combo) or acquire an AI capable of understanding human speech, like IBM's Watson. The first option is doable, but it takes a lot of time, the second, not so much, unless you're from the future.
I'm not sure how much Watson understood the language and how much it just drew connections between words and phrases. ("Toronto??", anyone?)

EDIT: Yeah, but sacrificing players would be kinda cheap. It's not within the spirit of the game. Kinda like cheating. Not that piecewise would be able to do something to stop it, but I just think it's not nice.))
We could have, however.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6352 on: July 04, 2013, 01:55:20 pm »

Well, part of how I'm going to do it is by boosting the difficulty level on a lot of things. For example, that fungus minimech. In order to make that, you have to know how to make all the muscles and bone connections and shit match up. I'm probably going to make it so that theres a library of soft-coded objects that you can will stuff into, and in order to assemble something complex like that, you have to go through and assemble them. "Alright, so bones go here, and muscles here and here, and then me need some kind of skin, and then..." On the plus side, that would allow really cool things to be assembled.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6353 on: July 04, 2013, 02:47:16 pm »

That sounds complex.

Like, Dwarf Fortress complex, if DF supported realistic evolution.

...I hope you succeed.
Sig

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6354 on: July 04, 2013, 02:48:37 pm »

Well, that kind of thing won't be added for some time. But I eventually hope to add such things.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6355 on: July 04, 2013, 02:52:38 pm »

Eventual features.

Also like DF.
Sig

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6356 on: July 04, 2013, 02:54:39 pm »

Hey, it was an influence.  :P

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6358 on: July 04, 2013, 03:02:24 pm »

I'll spill the beans on the sky pirates soon, when I got access to my computer. To put it shortly: I'm pretty sure we were to be a secret strike force against the double agent considering both what was on the table and our last offer of "being mercenaries" and the humorously specific question of it a hit could of been asked of us of a player. Paris, it was a fun trading business we had going on, although curious itself.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #6359 on: July 04, 2013, 03:06:22 pm »

I've been programming it in java. I'm not sure about open-source, I'm afraid that if I make it open source I'll kind of get left behind. I will make it have lots of soft-coded stuff, like DF except more so, and I'll probably incorporate a lot of mods. I guess I should probably make a thread for it, but I'm not sure whether to put it in Other Games or Creative Projects.

Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 435