Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: Feudalism Rethought Redux: Step 2  (Read 12368 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Feudalism Rethought Redux: Step 2
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2013, 05:18:12 pm »

Medieval vs Ironage is a good 2000 Years, you know.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2013, 05:29:01 pm »

I'd assume your only at the very start of medieval age tech though.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2013, 05:29:21 pm »

...No, it's around a thousand. Rome is iron age, Crusades is Medieval.

On another note, Crossbows out-range longbows. Unless you're talking about dinky little hand crossbows or some shit. But the good, big crossbows with 400 lb pull strength? And they fire lighter projectiles than crossbows? Oh hell yeah they go farther. Their disadvantage is a long ass reload time. The british longbowmen could draw, aim, and fire fast enough that there was a volley every ten seconds instead of the 40 to 50 seconds required for the giant crossbows.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2013, 05:32:01 pm »

But the crossbows used by the sung dynasty could not hit mongol bowmen because the bowmen had much longer range.

Factor in super strength and means that I can use longbows that an average human could not even draw which would give me even longer range.
Pretty sure my longbows will out distance a crossbow.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2013, 05:34:32 pm »

Question for GM: What's medieval tech. Specifically, early or late medieval. Even more specific, gunpowder, Yes*/no.
*shrugs*
Probably closer to late medieval. Plate mail, long- and crossbows, straight swords, but not any effective firearms. (Explosives? Sure, especially unintentional ones.  :P)

Medieval vs Ironage is a good 2000 Years, you know.
Remember when he said that an unarmed preteen girl of his race could fight off an armed human soldier? That's probably true. They're strong and tough enough that each one can take down several human soldiers, assuming approximately equivalent levels of gear and training. Also, he's got about a 20% population advantage, and he'll probably have a higher draft rate come wartime. Plate armor and such will help, but when you're faced with larger army of inherently superior melee combatants...watch out.

...No, it's around a thousand. Rome is iron age, Crusades is Medieval.
I was pretty sure that was right.

On another note, Crossbows out-range longbows. Unless you're talking about dinky little hand crossbows or some shit. But the good, big crossbows with 400 lb pull strength? And they fire lighter projectiles than crossbows? Oh hell yeah they go farther. Their disadvantage is a long ass reload time. The british longbowmen could draw, aim, and fire fast enough that there was a volley every ten seconds instead of the 40 to 50 seconds required for the giant crossbows.
I'd advise the slower but stronger and longer-range crossbows against mesor's demonic forces.

But the crossbows used by the sung dynasty could not hit mongol bowmen because the bowmen had much longer range.
Factor in super strength and means that I can use longbows that an average human could not even draw which would give me even longer range.
Pretty sure my longbows will out distance a crossbow.
I'm not sure about the specifics, but that's entirely possible.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2013, 05:44:12 pm »

Let me put it this way, if you don't hit one of my men in the head with your crossbow odds are all your gonna get is a very pissed off half demon with a personal grudge to settle.

Also, your facing superior numbers of men who not only have serious issues with death but could probably literally rip your arm off then beat you to death with it and are probably what GWG twice human speed?

Your kinda gonna need to out number me at least 3-1 to stand a fighting chance of winning outside of a siege.
Uhm drafting?
My entire population has been corrupted by demon blood.
Not one person in my entire nation would refuse the chance to fight.
Hell a 5 year old in my nation would fight if I asked him to and if I stick a little sword in his hand he'll fight damned well.

Oh also my men use axes, so plate armor will not help much when my men are hacking your arms off :).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 05:47:27 pm by mesor »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2013, 05:48:05 pm »

How many points does being demons that have more people and incredible fighting skills cost? 2? Really? Only 2? Especially considering the only diplomacy will really be between you guys? I think an unarmed teen vs. a trained soldier being equal is kinda ridiculous, tbh. But, anyway. GWG's game, just interested to see how things turn out.

On another note, chinese crossbows vs. Mongolian recurve bows(not longbows) is different than Genovese Crossbows vs. English Longbows.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2013, 05:51:25 pm »

are probably what GWG twice human speed?
*shrugs* Maybe. Probably a bit slower. Still a bit out in the air; the only definitive number I have so far is "Several humans to a Mesorthing." That's what I said in the PM, right?

Oh also my men use axes, so plate armor will not help much when my men are hacking your arms off :).
Let's see...I think slashing weapons were the norm until chainmail came along, then--screw it, looking it up.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2013, 05:54:03 pm »

How so?
Some of you have magic, some of you have superior tech.
I just picked to make my people half demon.
Then almost crippled my chances of diplomacy, reduced all research that is not weapon or armor related and have 0 chance of ever taking prisoners.

Meh soldiers used axes pretty much from the time that cave men learnt to stick a sharp bit of rock on a piece of wood and swing it.

On a side note, nobody will be fighting unarmed teens anyway.
They'll be fighting teens with big bows, bigger axes and a set of nice heavy iron or bronze armor who's been trained to kill since she was about 5.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:04:33 pm by mesor »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2013, 06:15:36 pm »

How many points does being demons that have more people and incredible fighting skills cost? 2? Really? Only 2? Especially considering the only diplomacy will really be between you guys? I think an unarmed teen vs. a trained soldier being equal is kinda ridiculous, tbh. But, anyway. GWG's game, just interested to see how things turn out.
FWIW, I charged 4 points for the combat ability.
Oh, and it turns out that big axes and polearms really were the best against plate. You know what's good against that kind of wide-bladed weapon, though? Chainmail.
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2013, 06:18:01 pm »

Chainmail still doesn't do much good if you aim for a limb though.
One solid blow will part the rings and take the limb off.
Axes and maces were kind of the fall back weapon of the day.

No matter what kind of armor they use an axe or mace is going to hurt them.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:20:03 pm by mesor »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2013, 07:52:07 pm »

Yeah...no. Chainmail's bonus was partly the flexibility. That flexibility meant it might break a bone or bruise pretty badly, but it won't hack through, as there won't be enough force to push through the links, the blunt of it being transferred to the padded leather beneath, while the edge is stopped on the steel. Besides, even with super strong demons or whatever, Knights in the medieval era were sometimes called pincushions. Why? Because the arrows would get stuck in their armor without going all the way through. Which is why people invented the bodkin arrow and the crossbow. Those were some of the few things that would get through. Up close, many fights eventually became wrestling matches with knives, each trying to get to a weak point in the armor.

An axe will hurt if you hit it against chainmail, but unless you're a goddamn viking berserker in full rage mode holding it with both hands, or get a weak point, it's not going to shear through solid steel. Of course, a poleaxe will go through pretty easy, and even a dagger will kill if you push it through their visor...Just saying that head to head? There's a reason knights ruled the battlefields.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2013, 07:56:38 pm »

Well I'm intending about 1/4 of my men to have huge two handed battle axes.

That will cut a limb clean off without much problem in the hands of a man with demon strength.
Plus I already intended to create several kinds of arrows anyway one of which was bodkin.
Chain mail armor is what the romans used and plenty of romans got their limbs hacked off by celts or gauls using axes.

It was effective but a strong man could cut through it.
Thats why I'm aiming for limbs as well, even if somehow it fails to cut it off it's sure as hell going to break it, let the knight fight with 1 arm or 1 leg.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:00:30 pm by mesor »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2013, 08:22:58 pm »

Just so you know, the actual combat mechanics won't be so detailed. It'll probably just be "X units with Y attack/defense, attack each other..." and stuff like that.
Sig

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2013, 05:13:11 am »

After all, it cost a monk several months to make each cannonball, and the cannons were just as like to explode as to fire properly.
...what. Firstly, why would a monk do it and not someone who is actually supposed to make stuff out of metal (hint: a smith)? Secondly, why would smelting a simple heavy-ass ball take several months?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14