Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 805 806 [807] 808 809 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1812495 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #12090 on: June 09, 2014, 09:44:20 am »

Took your advice and avoided any serious town raids. After looting a few houses on the outskirts of town I found a gas station in the wilderness and settled down. With a bit of extra equipment you can survive without entering towns at all. I actually found science labs to be relatively risk-free sources of batteries and other miscellaneous goodies.
Died on day ten when I got a bit overconfident and tried to raid a school. Fired a grenade launcher through the front door and killed a half-dozen zombies; by the time I had reloaded another dozen were on top of me.

Schools are pretty hard. You're looking at probably a hundred or so zombie children, plus a dozen or so adult "teacher" zombies. Your best bet is using ranged weapons, staying outside, and summoning the horde with something loud. Explosives are useful, but watch those reload times. Magazine loaded rifles/pistols are better choice, and bows are great if you've found the Fletcher's Friend and Bowyers Buddy.

One tactic for melee is to build a wall of fire out of zombie child corpses. Pick your battlefield, call the horde, and every time one dies in an empty space next to you light the square on fire. Be sure to quickly check the ground under each body, as zombie children carry Malted Milk Balls, Chocolate Bars, and Candies that can help offset the morale penalty of murdering a school full of children.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12091 on: June 09, 2014, 10:33:58 am »

I had a melee character who couldn't hit a manhack. I started to throw my weapon instead, and hit it almost every time.

Yeah, throwing seems particularly effective against them; I can kill them with no throwing experience at all. Rocks seem to be a good option; manhacks don't have any bashing armor at all.

Schools are pretty hard. You're looking at probably a hundred or so zombie children, plus a dozen or so adult "teacher" zombies.

It sounds like schools are a nightmare; are they even worth clearing out?

One tactic for melee is to build a wall of fire out of zombie child corpses. Pick your battlefield, call the horde, and every time one dies in an empty space next to you light the square on fire. Be sure to quickly check the ground under each body, as zombie children carry Malted Milk Balls, Chocolate Bars, and Candies that can help offset the morale penalty of murdering a school full of children.

Yeah, it seems that doing anything dangerous without a solid plan is the best way to get yourself killed. Just out of curiosity, will fire damage a zombie enough that it won't get back up in a couple of days?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12092 on: June 09, 2014, 10:38:07 am »

Are hallucinations supposed to kill me?

I was hallucinating in the basement of a LMOE shelter, when suddenly a turret spawned and one-shot me.
I would think that if yer close enough to death to be one shot by them they probably should be able to kill you with the death message saying you died via heart attack.  But if they do damage otherwise that seems a bit off.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12093 on: June 09, 2014, 11:22:09 am »

Probably a bug of some kinds.

Schools have great libraries, some food, tons of snack from the dead kids and some chemical material. Also, an american flag that can be worn and is used as a quest item.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12094 on: June 09, 2014, 12:29:01 pm »

i thought npcs were still buggy? they are defaulted to off. are they worth turning on to get quests?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12095 on: June 09, 2014, 12:35:29 pm »

Not really. The one time it was worth turning them on was that game I started with the cannibal trait and the objective of only eathing humans (I cheated myself a copy of "To Serve Man".) I think it was the best game I ever had. First of all, food is scarce, so survival is harder. And second, your preys can fight back.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12096 on: June 09, 2014, 12:45:34 pm »

Probably a bug of some kinds.

Schools have great libraries, some food, tons of snack from the dead kids and some chemical material. Also, an american flag that can be worn and is used as a quest item.

Once, I played a soldier and risked my life in a school to obtain an American flag FOR MURRICA.

I did it again more recently and discovered that these kids have college level textbooks.

I should go all Will Smith on them.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12097 on: June 09, 2014, 12:50:20 pm »

NPCs are SUPER buggy, annoying as hell and way unbalanced (not that the game balance is so finely tuned currently, but they're way too often instadeath or freebie givers).

I rarely have problems clearing out schools, but I don't even start until I have decent gear and "enough" melee skill (at least 4-5).  And my char usually has very good stats (basically max negs + almost all points into stats).   The 1st one is extra tough because of the morale penalty, but I can usually take it even well before I can handle harder "normal" zombies.

And yea a bow helps a *lot*, bring lots of arrows.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12098 on: June 09, 2014, 12:51:34 pm »

Frankly, I'd just make a beeline for the library, then run away and burn the place.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12099 on: June 09, 2014, 04:11:52 pm »

Frankly, I'd just make a beeline for the library, then run away and burn the place.

The clothes off the various pedestrians can make great clothes, shelter, and bags. The corpses can be used as a source of creating a large wall of dead bodies thrown into spiky pits for entertainment. The school itself is a great place to fortify. The cafeteria seems to have minor amounts of food.

Later, a survivor named Tawarochir wanders into a library and discovers a book:

"Murdering Undead Children for Fun, Profit, and Your Own Good!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12100 on: June 11, 2014, 01:52:31 pm »

Schools are pretty hard. You're looking at probably a hundred or so zombie children, plus a dozen or so adult "teacher" zombies.

It sounds like schools are a nightmare; are they even worth clearing out?

Lots of food, some good books, I think I even found a gun and ammo in a locker once (could have been a bug, or a disturbing easter egg). Worth doing to say you did it, if nothing else.

Yeah, it seems that doing anything dangerous without a solid plan is the best way to get yourself killed. Just out of curiosity, will fire damage a zombie enough that it won't get back up in a couple of days?
If there's enough fuel, the fire should completely incinerate their corpses. Otherwise, you may have to 's'mash or 'B'utcher them.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12101 on: June 11, 2014, 03:42:12 pm »

Didn't know you could 's'mash corpses. Any benefit to this over butchering them (for survival xp)?

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12102 on: June 11, 2014, 03:46:57 pm »

Didn't know you could 's'mash corpses. Any benefit to this over butchering them (for survival xp)?

Smashing is faster. (citation needed)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12103 on: June 11, 2014, 03:47:26 pm »

Smashing is faster depending on your weapon.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12104 on: June 11, 2014, 03:48:14 pm »

Crash on the latest experimental (0.A-1637) when going to food crafting menu on a brand new survivalist character.

EDIT: New experimental (0.A-1638) solved the issue.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:57:53 pm by Kaitol »
Pages: 1 ... 805 806 [807] 808 809 ... 1086