Poll

How overpowered is the dex stat?

Game-Breakingly
Very
Moderately
Just a Little
Not at All

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 159

Author Topic: Looter's Delight: Considering Revival  (Read 265771 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Looter's Delight: An Adventure with Treasure! The Plot Thickens!
« Reply #2235 on: August 11, 2013, 11:06:46 pm »

No.

I'm giving specific options. Assign each a percentage chance--I'll give each 25%.

01-25: One charge, and +10 Lick when rolling rof powers.
26-50: The thing has 1d100 charges, nonrechargeable, and gets a +4 Luck.
51-75: 1d20 rechargeable charges, +2 Luck.
76-100: No charge system.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: August 12, 2013, 09:48:30 am »

Oh Jeebus, numbers. @_@
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: August 12, 2013, 02:14:04 pm »

Hey guys, remember when this game was simple? Yeah, those were the good times...

I really just think that there's no need for you to add a whole bunch of things to a generator to make it unique, if it's going to make it incredibly complex. PLUS, one of the things that we loved about it at first was how we had no idea what could be generated. Now, we're getting into all this, and I feel that it's, no offence, bogging the game down a bit. If I were you, I'd just make a basic generator, so that the game can continue, and just add things as they pop into your head or as you feel like adding them. It adds a 'Uniqueness' Curve of some sort, giving us some regular magical or non-magical items at first, but as the game goes on, we start getting into some seriously crazy shit, as opposed to HOLY SHIT LOOK AT ALL THIS STUFF WE CAN GET and have that be the entire basis of the game.

EDIT: Ugh, posted too fast.

I really just think that this game could really soar, if you just give it time to evolve, instead of cramming a bunch of wings on it and tossing it off a cliff.

There. There's my metaphor for today, now I'm going to go update all of my games.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 02:16:20 pm by Greenstarfanatic »
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

stefmor90

• Bay Watcher
  • FUCKING HATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: August 12, 2013, 02:41:34 pm »

No.

I'm giving specific options. Assign each a percentage chance--I'll give each 25%.

01-25: One charge, and +10 Lick when rolling rof powers.
26-50: The thing has 1d100 charges, nonrechargeable, and gets a +4 Luck.
51-75: 1d20 rechargeable charges, +2 Luck.
76-100: No charge system.
That makes much more sense, thanks. That was kinda similar to what I said, but I worded it poorly.

Hey guys, remember when this game was simple? Yeah, those were the good times...

I really just think that there's no need for you to add a whole bunch of things to a generator to make it unique, if it's going to make it incredibly complex. PLUS, one of the things that we loved about it at first was how we had no idea what could be generated. Now, we're getting into all this, and I feel that it's, no offence, bogging the game down a bit. If I were you, I'd just make a basic generator, so that the game can continue, and just add things as they pop into your head or as you feel like adding them. It adds a 'Uniqueness' Curve of some sort, giving us some regular magical or non-magical items at first, but as the game goes on, we start getting into some seriously crazy shit, as opposed to HOLY SHIT LOOK AT ALL THIS STUFF WE CAN GET and have that be the entire basis of the game.

EDIT: Ugh, posted too fast.

I really just think that this game could really soar, if you just give it time to evolve, instead of cramming a bunch of wings on it and tossing it off a cliff.

There. There's my metaphor for today, now I'm going to go update all of my games.
Heh. I have been showing off the generators capabilities too much indeed, but I have added lots of things I'm refusing to tell anyone. Thing is, this generator is currently really basic, the one WWolin worked on took 6 months. He's off on a vacation for 2 weeks, therefore I can't ask him for any advice, so I'm sharing information to get ideas on things I can add, and also to see if you guys think it's working. To tell the truth, I've not been being the best GM and have been trying to add things to the game too quickly without enough tests, but I'm trying hard to get better. Why there are so many changes being made is that WWolin told me when I started GMing the game was underdeveloped and was just made as a test, so he told me I should try to add new elements to combat and exploration. Of course all the mechanics are really finicky currently, because trying to work out problems often brings in new ones. They should get better with time, but I'm trying hard to not break the game, while adding mechanics like WWolin wants.

I'm up for all criticism, as I'm a new GM, and extra help is always good.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: August 12, 2013, 02:55:50 pm »

Aww, don't kick yourself, you're a great GM so far!

I do have a suggestion though. At this point, it would be better to start a new thread with this, just to make it easier to work with and to, in a way, start with a fresh new slate. You'd still be shifting everything over, but I think it could make the job a bit easier for you. You can make a new OP, so you can add details and updates on it as well.

And, no offence to Wwolin, the game so far was FAR from Underdeveloped. And once again, I'd say just try to take what you have with a generator so far, shave off the things that don't work, add in a few major parts that you might have missed, and, like I said, add mechanics as you go. SINCE you're a new GM, it's not wise to jump into a project this big head-first. It would make it far easier for you to just start slow.

stefmor90

• Bay Watcher
  • FUCKING HATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: August 12, 2013, 03:08:17 pm »

Aww, don't kick yourself, you're a great GM so far!

I do have a suggestion though. At this point, it would be better to start a new thread with this, just to make it easier to work with and to, in a way, start with a fresh new slate. You'd still be shifting everything over, but I think it could make the job a bit easier for you. You can make a new OP, so you can add details and updates on it as well.

And, no offence to Wwolin, the game so far was FAR from Underdeveloped. And once again, I'd say just try to take what you have with a generator so far, shave off the things that don't work, add in a few major parts that you might have missed, and, like I said, add mechanics as you go. SINCE you're a new GM, it's not wise to jump into a project this big head-first. It would make it far easier for you to just start slow.
I agree. But I also don't want to kill LD, so I'll trash any uncertain/broken mechanics and only keep ones that are supposed to work. I would love to start an OP, so I'll get on that soon enough.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: August 12, 2013, 04:10:07 pm »

I do have a question. From what I've understood of the generator, it allows more than one ability and form to come up, but how is that stuff made? Do larger luck mods increase rolls to certain tables, so that a neutral luck item has little in the way of mods? What kind of modifications are there aside from stat changes and elements/abilities, that you'd be willing to tell us?
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: August 12, 2013, 04:27:09 pm »

Well I can't think of anything in terms of ideas... but just keep doing whatever you feel like you need to do. I'm still enjoying the game so far even with you taking over being the GM... and... still looking forward where this game goes... and... Idk. I just wanna say something supportive lol.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

stefmor90

• Bay Watcher
  • FUCKING HATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: August 12, 2013, 06:04:16 pm »

I do have a question. From what I've understood of the generator, it allows more than one ability and form to come up, but how is that stuff made? Do larger luck mods increase rolls to certain tables, so that a neutral luck item has little in the way of mods? What kind of modifications are there aside from stat changes and elements/abilities, that you'd be willing to tell us?
I'm keeping most everything from the generator hidden now, so the most I should say is there is no 'neutral luck' pool, but only a positive and a negative pool, but both are accessible, only more likely for one luck type or the other. This also influences the way weapons act regardless of their modifier pool, so if your luck is negative and you cast a magic/special effect, effects will sometimes backfire on your character. Of course for this reason, late game negative luck is many times more powerful but many times more dangerous.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:05:52 pm by stefmor90 »

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: August 12, 2013, 06:08:00 pm »

Yeah, I was enjoying reading this. One reason I haven't been playing is that Wwolin was going to let me have a look at the generator, but they said that would spoil some things in the story so I agreed not to join back in. (The other reason being it's hard for me to not be myself.) The problem they ran into was that it would take some time to re-write it all on a computer, and real life intervened to prevent them from doing so. But yeah, feel free to ask people things.

Just thought of this by the way. What if there was some sort of fatigue mechanic?
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: August 12, 2013, 06:11:42 pm »

Yeah, I was enjoying reading this. One reason I haven't been playing is that Wwolin was going to let me have a look at the generator, but they said that would spoil some things in the story so I agreed not to join back in. (The other reason being it's hard for me to not be myself.) The problem they ran into was that it would take some time to re-write it all on a computer, and real life intervened to prevent them from doing so. But yeah, feel free to ask people things.

Just thought of this by the way. What if there was some sort of fatigue mechanic?
No offence to you or anything but there is a voice softly screaming in my head, and it's saying 'AAAUGH NO MORE MECHANICS.'

stefmor90

• Bay Watcher
  • FUCKING HATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: August 12, 2013, 06:22:04 pm »

As much as I would hate to introduce more mechanics as well, an action limit was discussed a few turns back. This would pretty much prevent you from attack more than 3 times in 1 turn besides defending, but there are blatant issues of triple attacks everywhere.

EDIT: I'm also trying to work the generator into a GUI if possible, as I need practice with Java and also I can release if LD ever finishes/dies.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:40:49 pm by stefmor90 »

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: August 12, 2013, 07:07:17 pm »

Oh, well an action limit, I would really like. Just not, like, a fatigue meter. That would be overly complex. But yeah, limiting actions per turn to 2 or 3 would actually help.

I'd say that per turn, you have three actions, only two of which can be attacks, and they can't be on the same person. Only one can be a defence, and up to two can be a general action, like 'Explore this place'.

stefmor90

• Bay Watcher
  • FUCKING HATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: August 12, 2013, 08:43:52 pm »

Oh, well an action limit, I would really like. Just not, like, a fatigue meter. That would be overly complex. But yeah, limiting actions per turn to 2 or 3 would actually help.

I'd say that per turn, you have three actions, only two of which can be attacks, and they can't be on the same person. Only one can be a defence, and up to two can be a general action, like 'Explore this place'.
I like the idea, so if everyone is alright with that I can implement it. Defense is automatic though, because if you could only defend one time you would die if you had to fight more than 1 enemy at once. Another possibility is that everyone is an endurance tank, and you have to command yourself to dodge. (AKA OP dex solution)

EDIT: Although this would introduce the problem of end being better than dex is almost every way, except that you just have to put up with any and all magical effects. I say that's a fair debuff, but dex might still need to be buffed as there is nothing special about it anymore but ballistic attacks. (AKA You see where this is going)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:35:54 am by stefmor90 »

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: August 13, 2013, 01:22:38 pm »

I'm speedreading all of this on my grandma's laptop before I head into the woods again, so I won't be typing much, but I really like what's going on here. Anyways, Stefmor, from what I've seen of the new generator, it's looking really good, although I haven't had the time to check it since I left last Tuesday. Person, since Stefmor's new generator is on a google doc, you might be able to get him to share it with you if you're still interested. And I like the idea of an action limit. A lot of bits of this are still balanced for an 8-man deathmatch as opposed to what it is now (I believe Stefmor once described it as DF Adventurer Mode, RTD Edition), so some mechanics will invariably have to be tweaked, but it's looking very good right now.

Anyways, keep up with the good work everyone. I'll be back from the great gathering of the Wolin/Card/Benson/Hansen/Tepes families on Saturday evening, so I'll see (Well, not really see, but you get the idea) you all then.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 159