Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Cruel Void, a Goblin Tower {Community/Log}  (Read 7312 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: The Cruel Void, a Goblin Tower {Community/Log}
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 09:28:42 am »

Sure, I'll take Zolak. Call her Snapdragon.

No turn for me for now though; I'm already queued for Moltenchannels and don't like having more than one commitment (esp. with Lakebones to maintain). But maybe later.
No worries-- it's not a bloodline game. ;)

--Journal of 'Lucky' Stothoaru, head explorer: 1st Granite, 101--

What a way to start a year.

Right, so. A few months ago the Despotess Ngôgosnun sent out a proclamation that she was having a new tower built and would take the first twenty goblins that volunteered for an expedition group. Everyone loves a thrill, of course, so we jumped at the chance to venture out of the humdrum tower life and into the exciting and unknown. The Despotess picked me to lead the group, since I seemed the most organized of the bunch. Then we rounded up our things and got on the wagons to the site she'd chosen for us.

The site! By the Badmanges name, the trip was brutal. We lost half our number to undead. Worst was when a cloud passed through and we couldn't get the wagons out of the way in time... We had to put two of them down, but not before they'd clawed unlucky Ngosto completely to pieces. Better her than me, I suppose.

Eventually we made it to the site. By now we'd all got nicknames for each other, which we'd spent the idle hours on the wagon creating. I was Lucky, since I'd actually been right next to the two when they turned, but luckily they ignored me and went after Ngosto first. Also in the group were Cain, Tomato (she's pretty easily embarrassed), Archek, Snapdragon, Fishybang (don't ask) and Mrs. Willsauce.

Thankfully those of us who survived had some pretty useful talents. First things first, we took a look around.

Spoiler: Partial Map (click to show/hide)

The wildlife in the area was pretty tame. We could see an eagle and a peregrine falcon in the air, but other than that the landscape was empty. I set Snapdragon and Tomato to work chopping down trees, and had Mrs. Willsauce help me dig out a place in the ground to put all our things for now, until we could get to work on some actual buildings. I didn't have any mining experience, but it was just soil, so it wasn't too bad.

Fishybang got to work, uh... 'fishing,' while we set things up, which was good, because we were low on food from the trip. I was not looking to starve after getting this far.

Fishybang didn't seem inclined to dissect and clean all the fish she was catching while she could be fishing, so I set Tomato to work on that too.

Hrm... I needed to pick a place to put the tower, and I needed to pick it well. Unfortunately, no place really jumped out at me...

Eventually I decided to set it up just a little to the east of where we'd started, pointing east as well; that way we wouldn't have to worry about the river for our defenses. Good thing, too, because we spotted a leopard downstream. Fortunately, it seemed interested in keeping to itself, and didn't venture on to our side of the river. The next few days, we mostly took naps while Snapdragon and Tomato set to work creating a place for us to stay. Well, that and prodded the creepy lungfish that came out of the river to wander around our site.

Cripes, those things are weird.

Summer came and we were still setting up our rooms. This worried me; pretty soon the despotess would be sending people after us to see if we'd made it or not. Would we have to expand again before we'd even finished building the first time? Hopefully not; we'd have to tear down all this wood and rebuild it as stone eventually. The less we put up, the better.

Tomato decided to take a nap in the middle of it. The things I put up with...

One day I noticed Snapdragon leaning against a wall rather than working, and got ready to go over and yell at him when I heard Mrs. Willsauce calling for me from the shaft we'd made to try and get some stone for the rest of the building.

What incredible luck! Mrs. Willsauce was practically salivating. I didn't blame her. This was a great sign; we planned to live in decadence here, and with this incredibly precious metal so close to the surface it was surely a good omen. I considered thanking a deity, but knew none I cared for.

The beginning of summer passed, and then...

Just as I'd feared. It turned out to be a woodworker and his soap maker wife, and their two children. I have no idea why they came here alone, although I suppose it's entirely possible they weren't alone when they set out. I'll have to get the full story from them later; for now I have work to do, and they've only made more of it.

It turns out the soapmaker is also a mason, so she's not useless after all. I have to wonder why she'd choose to advertise the soapmaking first. We continued construction of the building, switching to stone midway as wood bafflingly went missing, although it slowed things down considerably, and soon autumn came. So far fishing had been doing quite well at keeping us alive. Time would tell if the river would freeze over during winter and likely doom us all.

Oh, great, a little brat. One of the things she was complaining about was the lack of a well, which was valid, I suppose. I set to work making one.

Evidently a black mamba attacked our meeting hall. I asked Tomato what that was, and she said it was a highly deadly snake. Thankfully the pets had been able to put it down, though the beak dog would likely die. Oh well. We set up a trade depot since merchants would likely be coming along soon, though we had little to trade with them.

Blast! More of them?

One turned out to be quite an impressive figure in our society. Though he was merely a fishery worker, he had participated in more than a few raids and seiges and had earned himself quite a nickname. Nako Elsmotem Rasmëspngod äs, he is called. Along with him came a peasant who had been a lasher in the tower, a bone carver, an ex-marksgoblin, and four more god damn children. Maybe it's the seven months I've spent here too busy to have any fun, but I'm extremely irritated by how often goblins fuck.

At the end of autumn the caravan arrived, just as we expected. The liaison got to bothering me immediately, but I waved him away. "Meat," I told him. "Fish. That's about it."

In the end we traded away all of our rough gems for some extra meat to last us the winter. Ber, the trader, seemed a bit disappointed, but screw him. What did he expect?

Celebration! Our first bedroom completed. Naturally, it went to me. Some of the others objected to that, but who's making the decisions here? I told them they could all go to hell. Also that we'd be making plenty more soon. Ironically, this event signalled the beginning of winter.

Unfortunately people are fistfighting in the commons room now. I've got to go break them up and yell at them until they stop being such selfish idiots. I can see we're going to need to set up a barracks ASAP.

Bloody hellfire! People are... kidnapping our animals? Wait, what? I don't understand what is going on, but apparently we have lost quite a few beak dogs.

Success! A second bedroom. I gave this one to Mrs. Willsauce for her help with the mining. After that, others followed quickly. Snapdragon, then Tomato. Then winter was over. Thankfully, we'd survived. It seemed my worries about food shortages were unnecessary, high tempers were a bigger danger.

Things are progressing well. We'll see what the next year holds.

--- End Journal ---

Migrants this year:

Spoiler: Smunstu (click to show/hide)
Smunstu Ubspuatu, Woodworker

Spoiler: Zom (click to show/hide)
Zom Olngsmumxu, Stoneworker

Spoiler: Arstruk (click to show/hide)
Arstruk Zomduzob, Ex-Lasher

Spoiler: Nako (click to show/hide)
Nako Elsmotem Rasmëspngod äs, Fisher/Ex-Marksdwarf

Spoiler: Xuspgas (click to show/hide)
Xuspgas Agsmôngkutsmob, Ranger

Spoiler: Stozu (click to show/hide)
Stozu Nugdang, Bone Carver
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 10:12:23 am »

Nako is badass, but I take Xuspgas. Name him Gharr.
Is he a hunter or an animal trainer?
Either way, make him smith crude gobbo-style weapons.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I am one of the tomatos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 10:13:37 am »

So I'm a farmer/woodcutter/fish dissector/carpenter/general handygoblin with at least a passing knowledge of dangerous snakes.
And a female.

Great, even in fictional stories based on abstract events represented by blinking letters and symbols, I'm turning into my father.

Do I at least have a decent room?
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 11:01:40 am »

Nako is badass, but I take Xuspgas. Name him Gharr.
Is he a hunter or an animal trainer?
Either way, make him smith crude gobbo-style weapons.
Xuspgas is a hunter. I'll have you know goblins smith perfectly fine quality weapons. Dwarven steel is just an unreasonable expectation to have to live up to.

So I'm a farmer/woodcutter/fish dissector/carpenter/general handygoblin with at least a passing knowledge of dangerous snakes.
And a female.

Great, even in fictional stories based on abstract events represented by blinking letters and symbols, I'm turning into my father.

Do I at least have a decent room?
I'd like to know who your father is that he's a female. You've got the same quality room as anybody else, you're just one of the Lucky few that got a room early on.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 11:29:37 am »

Posting to watch.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 02:37:46 am »

--Journal of 'Lucky' Stothoaru, head explorer: 7th Slate, 102--

Work continued at an acceptable pace. We ended up getting six rooms done in total by mid-spring. I gave one to Archek to shut him up; the whiny bitch won't stop taking out her anger issues on other people. When I gave her the good news, she said "Finally!" and stormed off to go sleep in it right away. Then she was fine. At least that's sorted out.

It's still a free for all in the well room, though. We've got to get this mess sorted out fast.

--9th Slate, 102--

I've decided to start prioritizing married goblins over founder goblins. It's distasteful to me, but at least it gets more 'blins in their rooms faster.

Also, Gharr's hanging around in my room, so I'm writing this in the future site of the hospital. I hope he goes away, I don't want to get into another goddamn shouting match about not having enough beds or clean water or have slurs hurled at me because I happen to be leading this hellhole.

--23rd Slate, 102--

FUCK! More migrants! Can't I ever catch a break?

This time it was a miller (aka marksgoblin), a farmer (aka speargoblin), a siege operator (aka hammergoblin), a brewer (aka hammergoblin), a fishery worker, a thresher (aka marksgoblin), a bowyer (probably a swordgoblin), a butcher (marksgoblin) and another miner (thank you, Despotess!), and a fucking boatload of children. I can't deal with this. I'm drafting all the new arrivals into the impromptu Construction Task Force, forbidding them from the mason workshop, and setting them all to fucking work. You worthless motherfuckers had better work for your bedrooms, you fucking hear me?

In the meantime, I'm taking a break. All this stress isn't good for me, and I think I know what I'd like to do with it.

--1st Felsite, 102--

Apparently Cain and Snapdragon hooked up and didn't tell me because they wanted to keep both the bedrooms they had. I took away both their bedrooms and gave them to Fishybang and Gharr and his wife.

--23rd Felsite, 102--

BLOODY HELLFIRE!

They found us! They found us! No time to hide; there's still a bunch of people outside! EVERYBODY CHARGE! NOW!

--27th Felsite, 102--

Oh, I'm going to get in a lot of trouble for this...

Gharr, Nguslu, and Ngerxung were slain immediately by the elves, who thankfully focused their fire on a troll on the roof. We (well, the migrants, we hid inside to make sure the children were safe) managed to chase them off, but our wounded are numerous and unpleasant. Thankfully they were mostly worthless migrants, but still... nobody's going to be happy about this. Except me.

I immediately designated the hospital, even though it was unfinished and unfurnished, and appointed Snapdragon to head bone doctor because he was the closest uninjured goblin and he said he'd treated treefelling wounds before. None of us have any actual medical experience. Oh, deary me. I'm tempted to just order them all drowned. Especially the children.

I also had part of our wall deconstructed and linked the stairwell directly into the fort so we don't have to go outside anymore except for fishing, something I should have done a long time ago.

On the bright side, we took two filthy elves out of this world. Good riddance.

--24th Hematite, 102--

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!

Apparently nothing will convince some people not to immigrate. I suppose I can't complain. Well, I can, but I put them to work building and feeding and recovering wounded anyway. I suspect they'll all bitch and moan about being forced to help other people and will start beating on each other in short order.

--9th Malachite, 102--

I don't like the way Ngokang is looking at me.

--24th Galena, 102--

Well, he picked up some spare camel parts and some platinum bars. Let's see what happens.

On an unrelated note, a farmer starved to death today. Not sure how.

--26th Galena, 102--

Aww, a widdle kobold! That means they know where we are now. Tomato, get away from it. We'll get someone else to take it apart. Oh geez, there's two of them. Well, just let them go and set up some cage traps.

--1st Limestone, 102--

Well, summer passed uneventfully and autumn has arrived. Spring was a complete disaster we are still recovering from.

Oh great, it's a ghost. I'm going to need to remove that bowyer from the mason workshop, snarling or no, so we can set up some shitty graves.

--16th Limestone, 102--

Well, can't argue with that. He says he is a master bone carver now.

It was a damn nice pair of greaves, but I wasn't sure I bought it until I set him to work making some elf crafts for the caravan. Holy shit.

I also realized that the guy I appointed to be head doctor was the guy who died of hunger. While trying to find a replacement I realized we'd gotten a suturer in the last migrant wave. I shoved him towards the hospital and told him to get to work. Speaking of migrants... yep, there's more. It's going to be a bitch counting them all at year's end.

--24th Sandstone, 102--

Unfortunately we have no thread, so there's limits to what our doctor can do. We're also getting dangerously large; 72 goblins, 37 of which are fucking children. I'm ordering a courtyard built and filled with traps. We're going to need them.

--14th Timber, 102--

Oh gods, the caravan isn't coming, is it?

--18th Timber, 102--

OH IT'S HERE IT'S HERE

--30th Timber, 102--

I tried to get up to meet the caravan, but I was too injured; my hand simply hurt far too much. I ended up remaining bedridden and sent someone out with a list of things we desperately needed. I'm told we bought quite an impressive amount of things, and ended up trading away an entire army's worth of mussel shell armor, but they left with huge smirks on their faces, although we ended up essentially buying them out. I have the feeling this massive exaggerating of the wealth of our tower will come back to bite us, but oh well.

--17th Obsidian, 102--

what

Oh no! Ohhhh no. Not again! Everybody get inside! We can wait them out... why are they even here? Damn those traders!

What? Some kid claimed the crafts workshop? I don't care! There are more pressing concerns!

Okay, everyone is inside and we've locked the doors. Hopefully they get caught on the cage traps, jiggle the doorknob, and go away when they see we don't want any of them. I've also drafted some marksgoblins to head up top of the tower and see if they can take a few potshots...

--End Journal--

Surviving migrants this year:

Spoiler: Ago (click to show/hide)
Ago Omubnguslu, Miner

Spoiler: Zolak (click to show/hide)
Zolak Azstrogugok, Hunter

Spoiler: Zom (click to show/hide)
Zom Osluslaxu, Hunter

Spoiler: Stasost (click to show/hide)
Stâsost Uksosoxosp, Armorer

Spoiler: Ngokang (click to show/hide)
Ngokang Ngerxunggam, Legendary Bone Carver

Spoiler: Nako (click to show/hide)
Nako Nakostokgor, Clothier

Spoiler: Snamoz (click to show/hide)
Snamoz Namamato, Stonecrafter

Spoiler: Usbu (click to show/hide)
ûsbu Snodubnug, Fishery Worker

Spoiler: Atu (click to show/hide)
Atu Kutsmobngasmuk, Fishery Worker

Ngokang Ukgesmaksmo, Fishery Worker

Xuspgas Stosbûbugo, Farmer

Spoiler: Snodub (click to show/hide)
Snodub Kutsmobslobu, Farmer

Snodub Oldngmogoz, Farmer

ûsbu Bosanukso, Farmer

Spoiler: Osta (click to show/hide)
Osta Snarkutsmob, Brewer

Spoiler: Stosbub (click to show/hide)
Stosbûb Strûbarstruk, Miller/Legendary Politician

Ngokang Ngosokutsmob, Miller

ûsbu Zolakzosbag, Potash Maker

Spoiler: Stasost (click to show/hide)
Stâsost Omosploxsnosm, Siege Operator

Spoiler: Strodno (click to show/hide)
Strodno Ngebzoosnor, Miracle Worker (Doctor)

Spoiler: Amxu (click to show/hide)
Amxu Stotheobrog, Butcher

Spoiler: Stozu (click to show/hide)
Stozu Snamozedzum, Fishery Worker

Xuspgas Ozudozstag, Peasant

Spoiler: Mato (click to show/hide)
Mato Loguolngö, Peasant

So many farmers, no plants in this mod version...
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 05:43:30 am »

Oh hell, my gob died. Give me Statost the armorer then.

Elf bone greaves are great. Dunno why dwarves attack us? This creation is what they'd appreciate a lot.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

InZane

• Bay Watcher
  • [PIMP_CANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2013, 10:02:59 am »

Can i be Gob'd? nako the Ex marksman

EDIT: And also asign him to marksman job in squad in the near future.
EDIT2: Also call/name him InZane
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:18:22 pm by InZane »
I PTW anything that seems interesting

TomatoWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I am one of the tomatos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 11:28:11 am »

Sweet mother of 'Mok(or whatever deity my gob worships) that's some terrible luck.

-Tomato's Log Entry 1-

So there I was back home, minding my own business on the farm, when some little twerp comes up to me and says something about getting Lucky. I was about to give him an axe to the face until he explained to me that Lucky was his name. I told him he didn't look very lucky but I think he was too busy looking at some writing on his hand to hear me.

He tells me that the Despotess wants a new tower built out in the middle of Upyerbum-Nowhere and that the group needed someone that knew how to farm. "What makes you think I know anything about farming?" I asked. He pointed at me, then pointed at the farms I had been tending when he walked up. He had a good point. So I asked him why didn't he ask Stozu or Ngom, the other farmers. Turns out he did and they already signed up. I figured if the other farmers where going, I might as well too.

What the twerp didn't tell me is that we'd be going through undead territory. The only reason I'm still alive is because when the undead attacked, I pushed Ngom into them to buy us some time to get away. You should have seen the look on his face, it was hilarious. You still can actually, it turns out zombies rise with the same expression they died with. I guess you learn something new every day.

Later Stozu bit it to some crazy dust cloud or something, I don't really know, I was taking a nap. Pissed me off though, cause he had a really nice leather glove that I wanted. I guess I'll just have to steal someone else's glove.

So we finally get to the place for the tower and it's actually pretty nice. Has water, trees, and soil for the farming. I was just pulling my hoe out of the wagon when Lucky comes up to me and says we need someone to chop some trees. I don't ever pass up the chance to hit something with an axe so I obliged. A while after that he comes up to me again and says we need someone to gut fish. That sounded pretty fun, so I volunteered. As it turns out, gutting fish isn't nearly as fun as gutting elves. The fish don't scream or gurgle or cry or wet themselves, they just lay there, being dead. On an unrelated note, I found out that caviar is delicious.

While I was playing with some fish bladders, Lucky comes up to me again and says Snapdragon needs help building walls. What in the nine hells makes him think I know how to build a wall? He tells me the quicker the walls go up, the quicker I have a bedroom. I'm sick of sleeping on the ground with the slugs so I started putting up walls lickety-split. Some time later, Lucky comes up to me again asking to do the Black Mamba with me. I haven't had near enough to drink to the that with him. I told him that and he says it's some kind of snake. I told him it was poisonous to get him to leave. Judging by that beak dog it bit, I wasn't wrong.

I kept putting up walls and gutting fish til finally at the end of autumn Lucky comes up to me and says I finally have my own room. As I'm walking to it to test out the bed, I notice we've got a lot more goblins than I remembered. The lack of a good bed must be making me see things.

-End of Log 1-

My apologies for the wall of text, I was trying to fit in the entire first year. I was trying to wait until someone else made a log/journal, but since no one seems to be in a hurry to, I decided to. This is my first community fort so feel free to criticize and correct me, or I'll never learn.
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 11:35:24 am »

> Bloody hellfire! People are... kidnapping our animals? Wait, what? I don't understand what is going on, but apparently we have lost quite a few beak dogs.

This is just a quirk that's triggered because your civ has the Babysnatcher tag, you'll get this message when traders take any animals away in cages, including the ones they brought with them.

Also, nice job so far :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:37:12 am by smakemupagus »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 12:06:48 pm »

I'll take Mato Loguolngö, Peasant.  Assign him the job of swordsdwarf (hold him back until he has some  decent skills) and have him be a mason when not in training.  Nickname: Zor'ram
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 01:10:08 pm »

When MrsWillsauce becomes a legendary miner, can you equip her with those greaves and a pickaxe and make her a soldier? A steel pick would be optimal, but use what you can.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 04:27:53 pm »

Oh hell, my gob died. Give me Statost the armorer then.

Elf bone greaves are great. Dunno why dwarves attack us? This creation is what they'd appreciate a lot.
As Gharr again, or what? And they probably want it for themselves.

Sweet mother of 'Mok(or whatever deity my gob worships) that's some terrible luck.

-Tomato's Log Entry 1-
This is quite excellent! I appreciate your contribution. ;)

When MrsWillsauce becomes a legendary miner, can you equip her with those greaves and a pickaxe and make her a soldier? A steel pick would be optimal, but use what you can.
She's already a legendary miner. I'll see what I can do.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 11:38:22 pm »

--Event Log: 28th Obsidian, 102--

Lucky leaned against a wall by the front door, behind which could be heard mumbling and muffled bangs. Mrs. Willsauce stood in front of him pointedly, her arms crossed. He looked back at her with disinterest.

"Lucky, we need to figure out where we're going. The building is progressing just fine, especially with everyone getting off their lazy asses. The tower needs longer-term goals."

"Yeah," Lucky responded. "Sure."

"I think we ought to start a real militia and train, because everyone knows where we are now. And we need to start digging out and smelting all that platinum. The best way for that is to dig down until we hit the caverns, and find the magma. Having a military force will be good for that, too. Then w-- hey. Are you listening to me? Hey!" Mrs. Willsauce snapped her fingers in front of Lucky's face. "Yeah, that's Tomato. Focus, you piece of beak dog shit, this is us living or dying."

Lucky reluctantly turned his head back to her. "Yeah, bitch, I got it. Real militia? Sure! Why don't you lead it? Hell, why don't you pick out some of the people with military experience and go drive that siege away? Gods know we need it!"

"Maybe I will," Mrs. Willsauce growled. "We can put those elf greaves to use."

"Fine."

"Fine!"

They turned their heads as a ragged cheer burst forth from the dining room. "What in slade is going on down there?" someone shouted from the roof.

"Happy new year, asshole!" someone shouted back.

Lucky sighed and they turned their attention away as the sounds of yet another fistfight broke out from down the hall. Mrs. Willsauce dropped her copper pick on the floor. "I'm going to take the bronze one," she said. "Then get Nako and some others and go out there."

"Oh yeah," Lucky said. "He told us to call him InZane now."

"What? Why?"

"It's his old army nickname, apparently. I'm not inclined to disagree with him in case he stabs me. Oh-- and one more thing." He pointed a finger at Mrs. Willsauce. "Tomato isn't in this squad of yours."

Mrs. Willsauce laughed.

"She's got too many things she needs to be doing," Lucky continued irritably. "And frankly I expect you all to get slaughtered, so I don't want to lose her too."

"Fine. Good. I'll get right on that." She turned and walked away, heading towards the stairs to get some armor and a new pick. Lucky shook his head and started to walk towards the dining room to break up the fight.

"At least it prepares them for combat," he mumbled.

--End Log--

--Journal of 'Lucky' Stothoaru, head explorer: 5th Granite, 103--

So it turns out Mrs. Willsauce found plenty of people to go on a suicidal death march against the dwarves outside.

Yeah, I wasn't really surprised to see the whole place absolutely coated in blood when I went outside. What's surprising is they actually won; two people died in the initial charge out the doors (one of the corpses was lying in the doorway, in fact, much to my chagrin) but they actually killed a bunch of them and drove them away.

From what I hear, one of the two remaining crawled out of sight, and they were all chasing one around when I came out. It was pretty fucking amusing, I have to admit. They broke his spine and cut off part of his arm, and he was just crawling desperately away, rolling out of the way of their strikes. Eventually InZane put him down, adding the first dwarf to his kill list. On the whole, not a bad result, though of course they all bitched and whined about losing two people. Strodno got to work on fixing them up, curse his heart. I ordered a few new shitty coffins commissioned and set up a barracks for them.

On the bright side, now we have dwarf prisoners! I assigned Arstruk to deal with them, since he has experience with a whip. And of course every bloody kid in the place is fucking screaming about Ngokang and Stosbûb being dead. Kill me.

--15th Granite, 103--

Some kid came running up to me and showed me some figurine he'd made. Yeah, whatever, kid, I'll put it on my icebox.

--16th Granite, 103--

It kind of bothers me that all the hospital beds are covered in blood. Strodno says it builds character.

--3rd Slate, 103--

Why me?

Apparently our vast riches (ahaha) have attracted a nearby cyclops. Or maybe he stumbled upon us by accident. Either way he wants to kill us all so I'm sending Mrs. Willsauce and her crew out to deal with him, and building more coffins.

I think he's trying to get inside, but obviously I locked the doors.

For her bravery, I've decided to assign four war beak dogs and two war trolls to Mrs. Willsauce. Mainly because they shit in the dining room and that's disgusting. What she doesn't know is that most of them are cripples from all the fights by the well. Hahahaha!

--2nd Felsite, 103--

I didn't even know she was female.

Another migrant wave came. Another doctor (I set him up as Strodno's nurse. He has the same name! I will call him Strodno II). A shitload of cannon fodder. An unbelievable amount of babies. We have over 100 goblins now. Almost all of them worthless dregs of society. I am going to go gently weep on the armor stockpile.

--12th Felsite, 103--

Oh good. It turns out there was a whole force of dwarves hot on the heels of those blasted migrants. Let's get everyone inside and find out what Mrs. Willsauce and an impromptu force of drafted dumbasses can accomplish! There's only three squads of them mounted on rutherers and cave crocodiles, I'm sure they'll be fine.

Oops, I 'accidentally' locked a kid out there. Should've run inside faster.

--23rd Felsite, 103--

They're waiting a good distance away from the courtyard, although one squad is nearby.

I let the squads out into it to wait, although predictably a few of them got caught up in the excitement and rushed off to face the enemy.

Unsurprisingly, they dropped like flies. I watched from the roof as they scattered and were obliterated wholesale. The dwarves made sport of chasing them down.

I lost track of Mrs. Willsauce in the bloody chaos. I guess we will just keep the doors locked and hope they go away eventually. Everyone out there is dead.

Spring fucking sucks.

--7th Hematite, 103--

Sweet, marble! If we can find iron then that's pointing to some awesome steel weapons. I'm sure Mrs. Willsauce would be proud.

It turns out whenever someone dies, asshole kids take their bedrooms before anyone else can. It's actually kind of funny, though of course I told them all to fuck off.

--9th Hematite, 103--

The well finally dried up! Now we can re-install the lever. I don't envy the mechanic who goes down there to do it...

--15th Hematite, 103--

Maybe those dwarves can be useful. Yep, they tore it apart. It was a kid, we probably could have taken it.

--4th Malachite, 103--

I just found out our miracle worker was slain by someone named Amxu. I was going to have them executed, but then I found out they were dead. Even worse, their assailant was a bratty fucking kid. That's it. I am going to have all the children in this tower executed. We number barely over twenty adult goblins in a tower of 78.

--5th Malachite, 103--

I wish those dwarves would go away.

--End Journal--

--Event Log: 23rd Galena, 103--

There is a distinct clicking sound. The front doors of the Cruel Void swing open, and several goblins step outside cautiously. Lucky is at the head of them, and he strolls carefully towards the corpse pile outside the front gate. He turns a few of them over, shaking his head, and kicks a few more. "I don't see her."

A cough. "Looking for me?"

All of them jerk their heads up. Another goblin, beaten, battered, bruised, and torn, heaves herself onto her knees on the slope.

Lucky shakes his head in astonishment. "How the Hell did you survive out here for months?"

"Well," Mrs. Willsauce croaks. "Everybody else was dead. I was fighting one of those bastards and I saw the rest of them coming. I put my pick through his heart and pulled him toward me. When he fell on top of me I stopped moving and let them think I was dead."

"They didn't check?"

"Nope. They rode off and I crawled away, and hid away from them in the forest. I'm really fucking hungry, by the way. And everything hurts."

"How many did we kill?"

"One."

"Great."

--End Log--

--Journal of 'Lucky' Stothoaru, Head Explorer: 12th Limestone, 103--

Snapdragon made something. Here's where I put it.

My revenge will be complete.

This culling has reduced our population to 30. It didn't get rid of all the fuckers, but it brought them down to a manageable level. And because we're goblins, no one cared. Time to mass-produce coffins!

--11th Sandstone, 103--

You've got to be kidding me. And they brought a shitton of kids. I need to figure out a way to drain out that chamber so it can be reused.

--1st Moonstone, 103--

Well, winter is here, and I'm almost done.

Good use of that, lad.

--16th Moonstone, 103--

We mostly traded for food with the caravan, but I nabbed a little raw green glass for my own uses. Also, we've got a few dwarven babies from the ones we have in captivity, so I think we'll start training those now.

Also, we finally got that drawbridge down and linked in case we need it. And the mass grave is going along splendidly.

--27th Opal, 103--

Apparently one of the children went insane. Good! The drowning room drainer will be ready soon. So will the mass grave; there are over 60 coffins in it.

--7th Obsidian, 103--

Complete! How glorious. I hold the life and death of anyone in this tower in my palm.

--16th Obsidian, 103--

Again?

This time we can wait them out. We'll have to stall collecting our dead from last time, but... oh well. Let's not make any more. Except for children, I'm priming the chamber.

--18th Obsidian, 103--

Whoops!

Bafflingly, the dwarves slayed a tamed baby that we had left outside. I wonder if that is what this is all about? Rescuing their captured? Shortly thereafter they all gathered around it outside our walls. Most curious.

And with that, winter is over. What a year.

Surviving migrants this year:

Spoiler: Strodno (click to show/hide)
Strodno Dusmudstosbûb, Nurse

Snodub Ngusluostrasm, Clerk

Spoiler: Olngo (click to show/hide)
Olngö Gôgustaslot, Woodcutter

Xuspgas Nakoslolspo, Mason

Spoiler: Tode (click to show/hide)
Tode Songrosmnu, Farmer

Spoiler: Bosa (click to show/hide)
Bosa Urarnosmu, Farmer

Spoiler: Aslot (click to show/hide)
Aslos Töboguksos, Leatherworker

Spoiler: Bax (click to show/hide)
Båx Urarkutsmob, Woodcutter

Spoiler: Atu (click to show/hide)
Atu Rusnutstsost, Dyer/Excessive Breeder

Spoiler: Estrur (click to show/hide)
Estrur Snuzurar, Wax Worker/Excessive Breeder

Spoiler: Nguslu (click to show/hide)
Nguslu Snodubzukåx, Ranger

Spoiler: Stosbub (click to show/hide)
Stosbûb Olxosmunstu, Farmer

Spoiler: Zolak (click to show/hide)
Zolak Stsostkutsmob, Fishery Worker

Spoiler: Nguslu (click to show/hide)
Nguslu Sostuksos, Mason

Almost 100 goblins to 30 in one year. I'm the best.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2013, 11:57:53 pm »

Wait, did MrsWillsauce actually survive that?

This is one of the most exciting community games I've read by the way. I guess goblins constantly being murdered by dwarves and each other is more interesting then "I set up a plump helmet farm".
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4