Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What else do you do WHILE you play Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 1404 times)

Demonbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What else do you do WHILE you play Dwarf Fortress?
« on: January 25, 2013, 02:53:36 am »

Hello fellow sadists and overseers, long time player/forum observer who finally decided to post something. I was sitting playing with my nth Fortress preventing the odd undead snake scale or what have you from disrupting workflow and wondered what else Armok does when he's busy deciding the fate of the dwarves.

Personally I listen to music and when in the later stages of my fort I start up a Roguelike and check back every few turns.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: What else do you do WHILE you play Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:32:14 pm »

Usually I just set pandora running and listen to that. Other then that there isn't much else that I do while I'm playing DF other then actually playing it (even with larger fortresses I tend to watch my dwarves and spend my time watching various different dwarves).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 01:06:27 pm »

Youtube or Netflix.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 03:47:47 pm »

As I'm a crazy multitasker, I'm usually chatting with friends and listening to Pandora at least. Sometimes I play other games at the same time. Usually Pokemon.

I'm really tempted, though, to just put a massive box of legos next to me and build models of my fortresses as I make them in the game. I'd need a massive box of legos first...

Is it 'many legos' or 'many lego'? I forget.
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 04:15:07 pm »

Most of the time I'm Skyping someone, and I play other games, usually LoL, as that's what a few of my friends like to play, and I play it with them while Skyping. I'm not a huge LoL fan, usually I just wait to die than tab-out and play DF for a few minutes.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 04:16:34 pm »

Either listen to Visual Kei and text or sit with my other half and talk.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 08:55:02 pm »

Nothing. Once I start a game, it absorbs all of my attention, to the point of losing the entire day to the game. I usually even forget to eat.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 09:19:18 pm »

Em/maj7add9\B
Asus4
A
Em/maj7add9\B
Asus4
A
Am7
Bm6
B6
Am...

it's burned into my brain now

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 09:22:48 pm »

When I play DF I usually fap wildly MAYBE listen to some Gothic Rock stuff.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 11:03:57 am »

Nothing. Once I start a game, it absorbs all of my attention, to the point of losing the entire day to the game. I usually even forget to eat.

Same for me :)
The only thing I do while playing is designing constructions and traps on paper, and writing some other game-related notes.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:10:22 am by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 04:36:06 pm »

As I'm a crazy multitasker, I'm usually chatting with friends and listening to Pandora at least. Sometimes I play other games at the same time. Usually Pokemon.

I'm really tempted, though, to just put a massive box of legos next to me and build models of my fortresses as I make them in the game. I'd need a massive box of legos first...

If you want to be grammatically correct, it's "many Lego." If you want to not sound stupid, it's "many Legos."

RE:OP, I use Soundsense, which gives me music to listen to and allows me to safely tab away from the fort when nothing particularly interesting is going on, since it makes noises for most of the things I need to focus my attention on. This is usually in the later stages of the fort when I've got things set up and know all my dorfs pretty well, so I don't feel the need to "tap on the glass," so to speak. Since at that point I'm just waiting for my big constructions to progress I spend the intervening time on the forums in one capacity or another, usually while chatting with friends. I don't usually play other games at the same time as most of my other games demand my full attention, and quite frankly my computer is slow enough as it is.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 06:41:42 pm »

If you want to be grammatically correct, it's "many Lego." If you want to not sound stupid, it's "many Legos."
I usually refer to it in water-like terms.  "A lot of Lego", "much Lego", "A towering heap of Lego".

And to the OP: Watch anime, listen to music, and chat on IRC.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 10:57:09 pm »

I usually read Tolkien or some other book while I play. This is mostly because I have a crappy computer that makes DF run stupidly slow, so there's plenty of time to read. Unfortunately, I usually bounce back and forth between reading Tolkien and working on a bit of Tolkien-based modding I have and end up making little progress on both.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 12:56:26 am »

I usually read Tolkien or some other book while I play. This is mostly because I have a crappy computer that makes DF run stupidly slow, so there's plenty of time to read. Unfortunately, I usually bounce back and forth between reading Tolkien and working on a bit of Tolkien-based modding I have and end up making little progress on both.
You read while playing video games? Disgrace!
*jokes*
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 06:11:24 am »

You read while playing video games? Disgrace!
*jokes*
I'm reading Dante's Inferno while listening to a DF soundtrack and watching my Dwarves dig a massive tree farm out of a quarry. It is rather relaxing ^_^
Pages: [1] 2