Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 255985 times)

kovarex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #240 on: November 03, 2013, 12:18:18 pm »

So I updated the first post (new screenshot and the info about planning to start greenlight campaign in december).

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 03, 2013, 01:08:58 pm »

I really think that even after the graphic update that screenshots really kills the game: eitger you get too much on screen to give an idea of what's going on or you show too little and really misrepresent the nature of the game.

Would you be willing to make a screenshot of the same area but as a 2 sec looping gif with belt moving things and inserter doing their stuff?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 05, 2013, 07:48:02 pm »

I really ought to try this game at some point.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 06, 2013, 05:27:30 am »

Holy hell, that video is awesome. I like Factorio and do a fair job at it but I will be dammed if my factories ever look like THAT!

The trailer factory is based on one of my Factories from the Freeplay. So like 80% comes from the real game (just before building the Rocket Defense). The remaining 20% has been added to make it "look nicer".

Do trains automatically stop for each other if they cross track segments or do you have to use signals? I never got my signals to work, at all.

kovarex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 06, 2013, 05:53:09 am »

Holy hell, that video is awesome. I like Factorio and do a fair job at it but I will be dammed if my factories ever look like THAT!

The trailer factory is based on one of my Factories from the Freeplay. So like 80% comes from the real game (just before building the Rocket Defense). The remaining 20% has been added to make it "look nicer".

Do trains automatically stop for each other if they cross track segments or do you have to use signals? I never got my signals to work, at all.

Not really, If you have no signals there, the both tracks crossing are in the same segment (we call it block) and only one train is allowed in one block at the same time, it works in similar  way as ttd (transport tycoon).

We have some basic info about the railway network at the wiki. We should make separate page about the rail signals with various examples of use cases though.
http://www.factorioforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Railway_network

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 06, 2013, 05:56:27 am »

But TTD works exactly opposite to that! If you have two trains on the same track and no signals, they WILL crash sooner or later :)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 06, 2013, 12:19:16 pm »

But TTD works exactly opposite to that! If you have two trains on the same track and no signals, they WILL crash sooner or later :)
I think the idea is that the 'signals' are automatically created by junctions.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 06, 2013, 12:53:50 pm »

In TTD the game prevents you from having 2 trains on the same segment of track by default. You can be a dumbass (or Dagny Taggart) and force your trains to do this, but then they will probably crash (unless, again, you're Dagny and have magical railroad powers).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 06, 2013, 02:04:32 pm »

Not really, If you have no signals there, the both tracks crossing are in the same segment (we call it block) and only one train is allowed in one block at the same time, it works in similar  way as ttd (transport tycoon).

We have some basic info about the railway network at the wiki. We should make separate page about the rail signals with various examples of use cases though.
http://www.factorioforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Railway_network

I guess I should have experimented more. I was afraid they would just crash into each other and then I'd have to spend a bunch of time re-configuring the engines.

I will say that assigning a schedule to a train is currently the least user friendly part of the game. It is really difficult to get the list built right and, as far as I know, impossible to modify it on the fly. Very frustrating wen you accidentally crash into a station and have to rebuild it (I am a bad driver).

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 06, 2013, 03:10:56 pm »

Are there any guides for this yet? I last played definitely before trains were a thing and the only enemies were the humanoid things, so I think maybe there's a lot of things I'm not knowing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 06, 2013, 04:29:20 pm »

Are there any guides for this yet? I last played definitely before trains were a thing and the only enemies were the humanoid things, so I think maybe there's a lot of things I'm not knowing.
You are a dwarf, jump in and see for yourself, dont be that *noble*.

on a more serious note, well the basic still the same, jusy some details are different.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 06, 2013, 05:08:32 pm »

You are a dwarf, jump in and see for yourself, dont be that *noble*.
Fair enough, I did learn DF without a guide, damnit I can learn this without a guide!
Well, apart from DF gives you a few seasons grace period while Factorio lobs monsters at you pretty much immediately.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #252 on: November 06, 2013, 05:44:33 pm »

I thought the initial tutorial and missions in the demo were really good in helping you figuring things out :)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 06, 2013, 05:46:10 pm »

I thought the initial tutorial and missions in the demo were really good in helping you figuring things out :)
I understand the basics, they just don't go far enough. For example, it took me a lot longer than it probably should to learn that conveyor belts can have 2 rows of materials moving along them.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

kovarex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 06, 2013, 07:27:41 pm »

I understand the basics, they just don't go far enough. For example, it took me a lot longer than it probably should to learn that conveyor belts can have 2 rows of materials moving along them.
This and more was now added to tips and tricks. But I believe that finding tricks and the "aha" moments is the part of the game, something what we were actually aiming for.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 76