Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 255958 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #525 on: August 27, 2015, 01:56:37 am »

I have never used electrical furnaces or logical circuits, but I can say this.

One thing I recommend is using separate belts for ore and fuel. You'll have to use long-handed inserters to make it work, but it will double the throughput of the ore.

You should never need separate belts for fuel and ore. If you limit an ore belt to only servicing 8 smelters, they will stay happliy busy with one solid belt. I generally only try to service 4 or 5 smelters on a single belt. These 4 smelters make everything I need for red science, these 4 are used to produce steel, these 4 are used for making engines, ect. That way you don't have to crowd your smelters with short and long grabbers.

One trick I use for tuning (NOT fine tuning, I have no idea how to do that biz) is to look at where there is a missing resource in your factory. For example, if you see you you aren't producing enough copper wires, click on your copper wire factory. Is it constantly building? If it is, you need more wire factories. If it isn't, look deeper. Are the grabbers constantly grabbing resources? If they are, you need faster (or more) grabbers. If they aren't, you need more copper plates. Now look at your smelters. Are THEY constantly building? If they are you need more smelters... it goes on and on. Eventually you find where the current bottleneck is.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 27, 2015, 02:36:14 am »

I have never used electrical furnaces or logical circuits, but I can say this.

stuff
You should never need separate belts for fuel and ore. If you limit an ore belt to only servicing 8 smelters, they will stay happliy busy with one solid belt. I generally only try to service 4 or 5 smelters on a single belt. These 4 smelters make everything I need for red science, these 4 are used to produce steel, these 4 are used for making engines, ect. That way you don't have to crowd your smelters with short and long grabbers.

I prefer putting as many smelters as possible on one belt line, and if you have a dedicated fuel belt, it's easier to branch it off from the smelter line if you want. There are lots of ways to set up a factory, and lots of preferences!
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 27, 2015, 08:29:51 am »

How are you crowding your smelters? None of them require more than a basic speed inserter and there's two to three spots on either side for them.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 27, 2015, 09:48:42 am »

PIPES

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 27, 2015, 09:51:16 am »

fucking refineries are nigh-impossible to hook up into any sort of linear system

why can't we have robots with buckets yet

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 27, 2015, 10:30:41 am »

You're wasting two extra surface pipe on the in oil intake for the right refinery!

Kidding. Having refineries in multiple locations because of space issues becomes very frustrating. All that underground to track and keep separate.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 27, 2015, 10:49:53 am »

Factorio: Cramped Base and Claustrophobia Simulator.  :P
I feel so stressed when designing stuff in Factorio (because I try to make things compact, but that requires a decent amount of thinking and redesign), but it's so good.
You guys are looking at the crafting times and taking in consideration the Craft Speed of your autofabs, right? Because my first playthrough, I had ZERO control or any idea of crafting speeds and all that. I just paid no attention, and threw as much resources and components into the belts as possible so the good stuff would come on the other side.

I also loved making stupid train tracks and trying to make 5-6 trains stop to unload on the same station, with the lamest possible design. I succeeded, after many deadlocks.

I'm waiting for more updates, though. I felt sad when they stopped allowing you to fire any gun from inside the car..AutoShotgun + Car = risky missions that could clear many bases without using capsules or turrets.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:51:36 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 27, 2015, 11:43:03 am »

PIPES 2: CONVEYOR'S REVENGE

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #533 on: August 27, 2015, 11:55:40 am »

I'm waiting for more updates, though. I felt sad when they stopped allowing you to fire any gun from inside the car..AutoShotgun + Car = risky missions that could clear many bases without using capsules or turrets.

You know tanks are a thing, right?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 27, 2015, 12:00:05 pm »

Not shotgun tanks.

For raw resources there's no real downfall to full belts barely moving, except maybe power spikes or attacks destroying stuff. Raw iron isn't used for all that much and its next product is used for everything. Fill those belts with raw metals and work from there.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 27, 2015, 12:11:06 pm »

Yeah, but from what I saw on videos, Tanks are like slower, higher HP cars that slowly fires rockets?
It simply doesn't compare to speed + epic rate-of-fire of the car. All you needed was the autoshotgun and some capsules if the base had too many worms, and that's it.

But from gameplay videos I watched, that's much more balanced. The car was really OP. It's just that I found it a lot of fun, and it actually required good skill. Worms could instantly blow your car up, or you could hit rocks and other objects and insta-die too. But it had a great payoff.

I want to know how useful planes will be, and how fun they'll be. Worms will probably work as anti-air too or something.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #536 on: August 27, 2015, 12:29:49 pm »

Unless you're dealing with large biters and/or very high density packs, just run over them.
Tank shells indeed weren't worth the effort last time I use them, but if you do have a large one or two in your path, then that's when those shells can actually be useful. (sometimes)
When you use armor piercing MG rounds to pick off the small ones, and roll over the mediums, it's quite useful for going from a to b without a train or much concern.
It also makes it much more reasonable to take down worm-guarded nests in the early-mid game.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 27, 2015, 12:38:55 pm »

Worms fire player seeking projectiles.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #538 on: August 27, 2015, 01:14:01 pm »

That's why the tank is useful there, since it's armored, and can handle small and medium worms if used correctly.
Or are you saying there's a new bug where the worm shot skips the tank?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 27, 2015, 01:30:07 pm »

The shells are for blowing up the spawners.
The tank armor is for running over the critters.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 76