Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 76

Author Topic: Factorio - Factory building game  (Read 255990 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Factorio - Factory building game
« Reply #645 on: April 14, 2016, 02:49:22 pm »

Me and Sky used the no evo mod on our multiplayer game and it just ended up stopping evo completely at 14%, no matter how much pollution we made.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 14, 2016, 02:54:00 pm »

Procured a source of rock by extending my reach waay east and setting up a mining post on an outcropping, connecting all the way back via conveyor belt.

At this point in time, unless really long distances end up being involved, I'm not sure I'm seeing the benefits of trains, especially in regards to setup difficulty and maintenance.

Killed a few more nests at the edge of my pollution cloud. Spitter defenses turned out to be unreasonably accurate and powerful - there seems to be no way to hit&run them with just a car and AP bullets.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 02:56:10 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 14, 2016, 03:08:26 pm »

Procured a source of rock by extending my reach waay east and setting up a mining post on an outcropping, connecting all the way back via conveyor belt.

At this point in time, unless really long distances end up being involved, I'm not sure I'm seeing the benefits of trains, especially in regards to setup difficulty and maintenance.

Killed a few more nests at the edge of my pollution cloud. Spitter defenses turned out to be unreasonably accurate and powerful - there seems to be no way to hit&run them with just a car and AP bullets.

Play with RSO. It makes resource distribution much more interesting and adds some purpose to trains.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 14, 2016, 03:13:04 pm »

Accurate? They home in on you.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 14, 2016, 03:15:07 pm »

Yeah, which can be silly as fuck when you're playing with the airplane mods. You'll be flying around and the spit will follow you to the ends of the earth, speeding up at some point to catch you.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 14, 2016, 03:28:08 pm »

Yeah, which can be silly as fuck when you're playing with the airplane mods. You'll be flying around and the spit will follow you to the ends of the earth, speeding up at some point to catch you.

Super alien technology.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 15, 2016, 03:18:14 am »

Super-alien spit technology. :P

I think I'm going to try out RSO. Seems like exactly the sort of thing I need. I wouldn't mind some way to automate (or rather, queue up) choosing research projects, either.

edit: I watched a few videos of people playing Factorio on Youtube, even experienced people, and it just baffles me that I haven't seen anybody use the "self-feeding coal mine" to kickstart coal production or feed early powerplants. It's just a burner drill coupled with a burner inserter that feeds itself and the drill off a small rightward conveyor loop that the drill dumps coal onto. It chains well, needs one piece of coal to start up, and doesn't stop until the mine is dry. Have I just been watching the wrong people? :P
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 07:01:32 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 15, 2016, 07:19:57 am »

Did not know burner inserter also fuels itself with what it picks up.

Interesting.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 15, 2016, 08:09:19 am »

Super-alien spit technology. :P

I think I'm going to try out RSO. Seems like exactly the sort of thing I need. I wouldn't mind some way to automate (or rather, queue up) choosing research projects, either.

edit: I watched a few videos of people playing Factorio on Youtube, even experienced people, and it just baffles me that I haven't seen anybody use the "self-feeding coal mine" to kickstart coal production or feed early powerplants. It's just a burner drill coupled with a burner inserter that feeds itself and the drill off a small rightward conveyor loop that the drill dumps coal onto. It chains well, needs one piece of coal to start up, and doesn't stop until the mine is dry. Have I just been watching the wrong people? :P

It's ultimately rather inefficient use of power. The burner inserter uses more power than a regular inserter. The efficient coal mine is four coal mines pointed at each other, or at least two.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #654 on: April 15, 2016, 03:16:33 pm »

I prefer the amplifier layout. A line of 3-5 drills in tandem, one coal in the first means many of coal in the last.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:20:10 pm by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: April 18, 2016, 02:25:59 am »

I've started thinking of Factorio setups in my idle time. I suppose that's not a good sign.

I also suppose using train cargo wagons as a key component of a multi-lane sorting/splitting mechanism is not exactly a new idea.

I.e. with each inserter being able to move 3 items container to container, a single wagon has enough spaces (sitting horizontal) to have 4 fast inserters on input, and 12 smart inserters on output, effectively filling up 6 output lanes. You also need 12 fast inserters on input to what the 4 fast inserters are taking from, which... can be two more cargo wagons, sitting perpendicular to the first one. Side-by-side they have just enough neighboring tiles to fit 12 inserters (they are 5 tall and 4 wide together, with one 4 side taken up by output, and one tile on the bottom will have to have the belt being used by one of the outputs on the horizontal wagon).

I have no idea how useful this could actually be, but hey. Maybe for offloading actual mixed-load trains. :P

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: April 18, 2016, 02:46:43 am »

I've always found it a pain to match where the inserters are to where the train will be.
At least the old version I used to play.

Used to overshoot the fuel inserter a few times causing it to enter the storage carts.
Has this been changed?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: April 18, 2016, 05:02:25 am »

Seems pretty consistent now, from my experience. Always stops in the same place, so just make note of where the train stops at the station and line up the inserters for that.

Could be different for excessively big trains, I dunno.

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 18, 2016, 07:54:00 am »

8 tiles for the loco, then its 7,7,8,7,7 8,7,7,7,8,7,7,8... tiles for each wagon, off the top of my head and only for horizontal stations. And the eighth inserter may or may not connect because the hitbox is slightly larger for wagons with a connected wagon, I know the third wagon only has eight inserters if a fourth wagon is present, not sure on wagons 6, 10 or 13.

In short, it's a mess and one of the best features of 0.13 will be the fixes to train lengths.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: April 19, 2016, 08:13:45 am »

I seem to be in an interesting situation in this game...

I have managed to fight through the aliens guarding the land bridge, but going further is going to be quite a challenge. Especially since I'm playing with RSO and most resources set to very rare but abundant.

I'm calling it the "Cape Canaveral Challenge" right now. :P Fit everything needed to make and launch a rocket on the peninsula, only ship raw resources in.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 76