Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 222

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06  (Read 974761 times)

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.23.2 | DF 40.04
« Reply #1065 on: July 27, 2014, 12:54:55 pm »

Splinterz, Dwarf Therapist seems to have trouble finding squads at the moment.

Thistle, how hard do you think it would be to modify the optimization plan engine so that it allows you to optimize a certain number of dwarves out of a set? For instance, I select thirty dwarves, make an optimization plan that finds the ten best marksmen of any large-enough selection, and then run that script.

Ratio-based selection is useful when you want to quickbuild an industry out of a certain group of dwarves, but is limited in that you can't smartly control how many dwarves you get. You use a predefined group and then distribute jobs within this group; it's easy to select a group of the best candidates for one job, with sorting by role rating, but it's difficult to select a group of the best candidates for a bunch of them. You can do this by defining a custom role that has all of the properties of all of the labors you want to assign, but you have to A, write this role, and B, implemented in a view somewhere.

A numerical optimizer would solve this problem by doing it for you automatically. How I envision it working:

• The optimizer takes all of the roles used in the optimization plan, and mashes them together into a temporary custom role.
  • It sorts the selected dwarves by their fitness in this role, and then selects the top X dwarves out of this selection, where X is the number of dwarves to undergo optimization, as defined by the user in the plan.
  • It does the standard optimization crunch on these dwarves.

What do you think?

^ Thistle.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

DukeOfVandals

• Bay Watcher
  • Diabeetus makes you sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: July 27, 2014, 01:57:33 pm »

Dwarf Therapist 23.2 OSX - v40.04

And this is the ini. Soul offsets were missing, so I copied them from linux, all the other offset values were the same.

Spoiler: v0.40.04_osx.ini (click to show/hide)
Yes! Thank you so much! Something to look forward to once my shift is over.

Is there any way this can be added to the OP post?

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1067 on: July 27, 2014, 02:26:54 pm »

the osx 40.04 will be included in the source soon. ResMar, i should have mentioned this sooner, but feel free to add issues on the github page for any/all modifications you'd like to see. it would be easier to keep track of everything there.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: July 27, 2014, 03:28:52 pm »

I think that Dwarf Therapist is close to feature-complete with what it can currently do. Not too many more processes left besides the one's I've mentioned so far that can be, and are worth being, automated, at least I can think of.

There are new features, like the explicit creation of squads and flagging captured animals for taming, which would be awesome to have, but to my understanding would only be possible if you could rebase memory access to DFHack. That might be the next huge step forward in the utility's development.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: July 27, 2014, 04:36:13 pm »

Thistle, how hard do you think it would be to modify the optimization plan engine so that it allows you to optimize a certain number of dwarves out of a set? For instance, I select thirty dwarves, make an optimization plan that finds the ten best marksmen of any large-enough selection, and then run that script.

Ratio-based selection is useful when you want to quickbuild an industry out of a certain group of dwarves, but is limited in that you can't smartly control how many dwarves you get. You use a predefined group and then distribute jobs within this group; it's easy to select a group of the best candidates for one job, with sorting by role rating, but it's difficult to select a group of the best candidates for a bunch of them. You can do this by defining a custom role that has all of the properties of all of the labors you want to assign, but you have to A, write this role, and B, implemented in a view somewhere.

A numerical optimizer would solve this problem by doing it for you automatically. How I envision it working:

• The optimizer takes all of the roles used in the optimization plan, and mashes them together into a temporary custom role.
  • It sorts the selected dwarves by their fitness in this role, and then selects the top X dwarves out of this selection, where X is the number of dwarves to undergo optimization, as defined by the user in the plan.

What do you think?

^ Thistle.

Maybe I don't understand the question, but it seems to do that already.

You can select just a group of dwarf's, say 30, and apply an optmization plan, and if you wanted it to be say 10 out of 30, (and you selected, 30) you could set the % jobs to assign to 33% and it would assign the top 33% of 30 (aka top 10)

you can also do tricks like limit # of labors per dwarf to 1 per dwarf, that shows you what THEIR BEST job is out of the jobs you've assigned in the opt plan
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:39:41 pm by thistleknot »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: July 27, 2014, 05:59:36 pm »

40_05 is up!  Any ETA on the memory layout?
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1071 on: July 27, 2014, 06:02:48 pm »

you people are slave-drivers...

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: July 27, 2014, 06:12:45 pm »

Just passing it on - in the less-than-an-hour since release I've had five people ask me when the pack is updating...
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

LtGreeneyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: July 27, 2014, 06:33:08 pm »

Bwahaha!  Yes!  Get to work! <3

carkasjak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: July 27, 2014, 06:33:53 pm »

you people are slave-drivers...

We are all slaves to Armok.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: July 27, 2014, 06:34:15 pm »

So in other words, we are slavedrivers but don't shoot the messenger?

EDIT: Ninja'd
NINJAEDIT: DOUBLE NINJACEPTION
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #1076 on: July 27, 2014, 06:47:54 pm »

I'm so lost on how to get this to work on Ubuntu.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

int_ua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: July 27, 2014, 06:50:05 pm »

I'm so lost on how to get this to work on Ubuntu.
Just compiled from source on 14.04. Doesn't work. It can't recognize the version. Where is the memory layout for 0.40 exactly?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:53:44 pm by int_ua »

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 27, 2014, 08:32:23 pm »

What do you think?

^ Thistle.

Maybe I don't understand the question, but it seems to do that already.

You can select just a group of dwarf's, say 30, and apply an optmization plan, and if you wanted it to be say 10 out of 30, (and you selected, 30) you could set the % jobs to assign to 33% and it would assign the top 33% of 30 (aka top 10)

you can also do tricks like limit # of labors per dwarf to 1 per dwarf, that shows you what THEIR BEST job is out of the jobs you've assigned in the opt plan

I don't want to have to go back in and edit the plan to fit the number of dwarves I have selected. What's the point of having a pre-defined optimization plan if every time I want to use it, I have to go back in and change the percentages? I want to be able to write a plan where I can create a certain number of dedicated dwarves from a pool of them. I want to be able to filter down my dwarves to those that are available for work, select them, and then apply an optimization plan to distribute a certain preset number of jobs between a certain preset number of dwarves. Yes, I can do that by doing math, and then editing the optimization plan, and THEN running it, but wouldn't it be great if Dwarf Therapist handled that for me?

Ahough it does sound like it would be simpler, from an implementation perspective, to dynamically "pick" the percentage of dwarves you want to optimize based on an absolute number, and then set the percentages from there. For instance, if I write a plan that calls for four dwarves to get optimized, the optimizer just divided that number by the number of dwarves selected to arrive at a job percentage and goes from there.

Edit: here's another problem: currently the labor optimizer turns off all of the labors assigned to dwarves that are optimized, even those that aren't picked for a job. This means that in order to implement the feature I am describing you would need to either A) do what I originally described, which is rather complicated or B) change this behavior so that dwarves that are not given a job by the optimizer are not labor-reset, and do the simpler operation I described above.

Edit 2: I've gone and opened up a few issues on your issue tracker, Splinterz. Should have told me about it earlier!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:15:35 pm by ResMar »

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: July 27, 2014, 09:08:15 pm »

well I used to create one plan for each ratio set.  Then I decided that was too much work and I hand adjusted the % total jobs to assign each run (for militia dwarfs anyways).  Now my labor optimization plans are only 2 plans.  I adjust what I need each run.  I let the ratio's do it themselves TBH.

I think I know what it is you want.  You want the total jobs to assign to be a static number that you set, and on the backend, it adjusts the % total jobs to assign?  That should be a pretty easy setup.  The numbers that need to be measured are total jobs (hard set number set by user), % total jobs to assign (adjust based on population selected), and # of labors per dwarf.  Those 3 numbers should allow you to back update % total jobs to assign based on the other 2 vars.

The second issue, I did just mention a few posts back if the labor optimizer applied itself as a mask rather than resetting labors, that might allow one to do more with it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:30:16 pm by thistleknot »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 222