Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 513826 times)

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea Preparing For War
« Reply #225 on: March 11, 2013, 08:31:33 am »

Just a little addition to the above. Russia also has a land border with NK and expected amount of refugees would be a disaster for it not less than for China.

Although direct land connection to South Korea should be economically advantageous in the long run for everybody.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 11, 2013, 08:56:17 am »

Nothing will come of this, I tell you this now. Nothing by way of military conflict anyway. The North Korean leadership isn't stupid - they know exactly what they're doing.

“Thou dost not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed”

Coming from the UK I'm all too aware of that. I still think though if a government like that of the DPRK can govern a state comparable in brutality to Pol Pot's Cambodia well into the second decade of the 21st century, then they wouldn't be so stupid as to launch nuclear missiles at the USA.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 11, 2013, 09:19:58 am »

Remember, if the leader's a twat, even if his followers are competent there's going to be stupid decisions being made.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 11, 2013, 09:35:05 am »

Remember, if the leader's a twat, even if his followers are competent there's going to be stupid decisions being made.

That may be so, but I wouldn't call Mr. Kim a twat yet.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 11, 2013, 09:51:18 am »

I'd call him a twat on the basis of executing political dissidents and starving people, but the term twat is kinda vague.

Also, another problem can be with the followers themselves. Sure, Kim could be going "This is aggressive posturing, don't take it seriously" but then again some sergeant who isn't in on the loop that it's just saber rattling who is on the DMZ could see some South Korean troops making funny faces at them and yell "THIS IS IT! THIS IS THE TIME OF RECKONING! MEN, CHARGE!" and then shit goes to fuck.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 11, 2013, 09:56:24 am »

I'd call him a twat on the basis of executing political dissidents and starving people, but the term twat is kinda vague.

Also, another problem can be with the followers themselves. Sure, Kim could be going "This is aggressive posturing, don't take it seriously" but then again some sergeant who isn't in on the loop that it's just saber rattling who is on the DMZ could see some South Korean troops making funny faces at them and yell "THIS IS IT! THIS IS THE TIME OF RECKONING! MEN, CHARGE!" and then shit goes to fuck.

I assumed you were using the term "twat" to refer to him being stupid, not being a horrible bastard. Which he is.

I would also hope the DPRK would have a handle on guys like that but that is quite a good point. The army is becoming a bit of a law unto itself and has been raiding farms and houses for food for about 20 years now, on-and-off during times of famine. The South Korean troops won't be making funny faces though. Have you seen them? They look about 6 foot 5  in comparison to the North Korean soldiers, and they always wear huge sunglasses.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 11, 2013, 10:02:43 am »

I assumed you were using the term "twat" to refer to him being stupid, not being a horrible bastard. Which he is.

I would also hope the DPRK would have a handle on guys like that but that is quite a good point. The army is becoming a bit of a law unto itself and has been raiding farms and houses for food for about 20 years now, on-and-off during times of famine. The South Korean troops won't be making funny faces though. Have you seen them? They look about 6 foot 5  in comparison to the North Korean soldiers, and they always wear huge sunglasses.

It could also be that some SK soldier is messing about with his friend and shoots a bird as a laugh, and the sergeant thinks it's the first shots of the war, or he thinks a road flare in the distance is actually a mortar being fired, or he thinks that a plane flying overhead is actually going in for a bombing run, or whatever infinite accidents and mistakes that could happen.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 11, 2013, 10:31:07 am »

In all likelihood, that sergeant would shoot, the SK would not answer, and this will be all. NK shelled SK marines and sunk one of their ship in the last few years, and it didn't escalade.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 11, 2013, 10:35:37 am »

What about an actual charge, though?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #234 on: March 11, 2013, 10:40:32 am »

A soldier can't shoot a bird as a joke, because every shell they fire has to be accounted for. If they misfire at the front line, they'll go to soldier prison. Also hell training as a result. Thing is, only drafted people stand guard, and they don't want to risk having to serve for even longer, or even tribunal nust for the sake of a joke. Going to soldier prison equals getting out of the draft later :P

Also, important fact: most of the front lines are 1 km or further apart, so  you can't see any funny faces. Except maybe at Panmunjung, but there the North soldiers only look at each other to prevent one from making a break towards the south, with a third officer standing backwards and looking at the NK building.
In contrast, the 180 cm tall soldiers from the south (they specifically pick intimidating-looking people) are staring at the north. Being a thousand times or more richer helps things a bit :p No-one in his right mind will make a break towards NK, not now.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 11, 2013, 10:45:42 am »

Sergeant: "Oi!"
Private: "What?"
Sergeant: "This pigdog worstkorea prat is making funny faces at us!"
Private: "How did you know that?"
Sergeant: "Well, I have a telescope."
Private: "Oooh."

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 11, 2013, 11:03:29 am »

A soldier can't shoot a bird as a joke, because every shell they fire has to be accounted for.
When my brother was in mandatory military service (used to be that all able-bodied men had to serve 6 months) there was this one crazy guy with him who shot and killed a rabbit while on guard duty. He served a month of prison and became a legend of his generation.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 11, 2013, 11:29:50 am »

Also, North Korea is very high on discipline. They've been known to sentence people to work camps/ death sentence for as little as making the wrong radio announcements where Americans/South Koreans could hear it. I consider an accidental misfire quite unlikely.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 11, 2013, 11:33:17 am »

I'd say the punishment would come after the shots had been fired and it could be explained as "it was a situation where I could just wait for them to mortar us or take action", but knowing North Korea I think this titular sergeant wouldn't be that crazy to think that wouldn't just get him executed anyway.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 11, 2013, 11:38:36 am »

Sergeant: "Oi!"
Private: "What?"
Sergeant: "This pigdog worstkorea prat is making funny faces at us!"
....Now I'm picturing the North Korean army as WH40K Orkz.

"Oi! Come on you stinkin' grots! We's da BEST Kree-uns! If'n da Big Boss gets onna boat, youse best be splashin' about an' chasin' him propa!"

North Korea: Where WMD means With More Dakka.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 341