Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 515164 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea Begs Mongolia For Food [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #1140 on: April 23, 2013, 01:15:44 am »

As far as I know Chinese intelligence is typically doesn't do other throwing governments, it's really just not their style.

Plus they've also gained quite a bit just from leaving the state as it is. Until recently they were perfectly happy to keep propping the state up, horrific conditions or no, but their refusal to drop the nuclear program seems to have driven them off the edge, which is why they've stopped sending aid.

Also creating a coup in NK is something that would be pretty hard to pull off. I mean you might be able to find a general you could support to do it, but what kind of government would you put in it's place? Wouldn't it just be exactly the same as the last one?

In all likelyhood if NK caves on the nuclear issue China would start up it's foreign aid again.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 23, 2013, 01:17:05 am »

What, you mean like Cuba? Those kind of shenanigans?

I'm not saying China can't pull it off, I'm just saying that the Great Leader seems to have a pretty powerful cult around him and it'll probably be a tough nut to crack.
Cuba is a perfect example of what not to do, unless China wants to be the new focus of all the incompetent "intelligence" agency cracks. Think Guatemala circa 1954. Except motivated by ousting a lunatic rather than propping up corporate interests.

As for the whole cult of personality thing... I honestly don't buy it. Probably for his grand-daddy, but at this point I doubt there are many North Koreans who don't know who's to blame for how shitty things are in NK.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: April 23, 2013, 03:34:58 am »

I would say it would be a good bit of news if China is able to peacefully settle things there. It would be quite the effective message to the rest of the world that China is capable.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: April 23, 2013, 06:16:48 am »

What bothers me most about this whole NK mess is that Kim Jong Un was educated in a school in Switzerland, so he should kinda know what the world thinks about North Korea and that NK's current course of actions is just stupid.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: April 23, 2013, 06:59:00 am »

You can know how the world works and still be an idiot.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: April 23, 2013, 07:38:58 am »

Also, from his point of view, he is doing pretty well.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: April 23, 2013, 08:35:17 am »

Kim jong-un knows exactly what he's doing and he's not stupid at all. He's a horrible man.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: April 23, 2013, 08:51:30 am »

What bothers me most about this whole NK mess is that Kim Jong Un was educated in a school in Switzerland, so he should kinda know what the world thinks about North Korea and that NK's current course of actions is just stupid.

See: Syria. Western-educated dictators know the rules of the outer world. It's what drives their policies in-country.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: April 23, 2013, 10:14:54 am »

"Dictators ride to and fro upon tigers which they dare not dismount. And the tigers are getting hungry."

Toning down the crazy is actually more dangerous than keeping it up, because it can easily be perceived as weakness. And then you wind up in front of a firing squad.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: April 23, 2013, 10:23:42 am »

"Dictators ride to and fro upon tigers which they dare not dismount. And the tigers are getting hungry."

Toning down the crazy is actually more dangerous than keeping it up, because it can easily be perceived as weakness. And then you wind up in front of a firing squad.

Or you end up with democratic political reform. Which is arguably just as bad as a firing squad to dictators.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: April 23, 2013, 10:25:42 am »

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive, either.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: April 23, 2013, 10:30:35 am »

I'd say it's 50/50 between democratic reform and a long and bloody civil war after the dictator gets shot.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: April 23, 2013, 11:03:17 am »

Hypothetically, what would happen if we sent in a lone plane or two with the military's finest to take out the top brass, and only the top brass?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: April 23, 2013, 11:06:08 am »

China and Russia would most likely flip shit, while our allies would be disappointed we acted unilaterally.

Meanwhile, NK would descend into pandemonium and the military would probably take over nominal control.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: April 23, 2013, 11:10:44 am »

I'd say it's 50/50 between democratic reform and a long and bloody civil war after the dictator gets shot.
No, honestly, the chances are far worse than that. The majority of revolutions wind up with the nation being in a worse or similar state to when it started the revolution.

See the French Revolution, The English Civil War, The recent revolution in Egypt, and many, many, other examples.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 341