Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 515026 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: North Korea Sends US Citizen To Death Camp [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #1500 on: May 03, 2013, 05:21:04 pm »

To be fair, many social movements like urbanization have only been possible with the advent of technological progress.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: May 03, 2013, 05:24:53 pm »

North Korea hasn't really reverted to anything, they never had a modern level of industrialization. The 90's were their resulting Malthusian Collapse.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: May 03, 2013, 05:49:19 pm »

To be fair, many social movements like urbanization have only been possible with the advent of technological progress.
True, but in this context not entirely applicable. A society can be backward and anachronistic in political and social terms without being technologically stunted and vice-versa, even if the original development of said technology originally went hand in glove with social progress. Just look at the United States! Uh, I'm talking about the continued use of the Imperial system of measures, of course. Of course.

There's also the note that urbanization has its roots with the development of agriculture, which is about the oldest paradigm shift of the human condition. Granted, much more recent improvements have made large cities much more viable (and much more densely populated cities possible), but genuine cities (even if they seem tiny to modern eyes) have existed for thousands of years, including under the rule of governments far more despotic than that of North Korea. In short, social and technological progress are loosely related, not 1:1 matching changes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: May 03, 2013, 06:10:54 pm »

OR worst case: It can get EVEN worse than now, which is highly improbable.
Yeah, it could get a lot worse than it is now
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: May 03, 2013, 06:24:48 pm »

North Korea hasn't really reverted to anything, they never had a modern level of industrialization. The 90's were their resulting Malthusian Collapse.

They had a reasonable level of industrialization back in the 70s and 80s when they had a fair amount of active factories and mines and stuff. That all went out the window in the 90s when Warsaw Pact/Eastern Bloc financial support dried up.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: May 03, 2013, 06:26:45 pm »

They had a reasonable level of industrialization back in the 70s and 80s when they had a fair amount of active factories and mines and stuff. That all went out the window in the 90s when Warsaw Pact/Eastern Bloc financial support dried up.
I don't think any of that actually went away. They just didn't expand to keep up with their increased population.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: May 03, 2013, 06:37:08 pm »

I don't think any of that actually went away. They just didn't expand to keep up with their increased population.

Nah, majority of their factories have closed because they no longer have their backers offering so much subsidized coal and fuel and whatnot. There are whole swaths of abandoned factories and rust-belt type areas in Yanggang and elsewhere.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: May 03, 2013, 06:41:31 pm »

In one book I read, there was a passage about a North Korean hospital during the famine in the 1990s where they used beer bottles as IVs. Most of the medical equipment came from a visit by Czechoslovakians in the late 70s/early 80s or something.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: May 03, 2013, 06:45:45 pm »

That was around about the time they switched to the military first policy , so stuff like making new tools went out the window.

edit untill about 74 the north was ahead of the south in jusy about every field, food,iron tools,army,houses mainy due to them trading, after all they had a massive heavy industry base. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:49:48 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: May 04, 2013, 02:00:15 am »

It can get EVEN worse than now, which is highly improbable.

You both should have quoted my whole post. If you read it thoroughly, I clearly meant what would happen if there was a coop, and how that's better than what the country is going through thanks to Kim jr.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: May 04, 2013, 02:11:15 am »

In one book I read, there was a passage about a North Korean hospital during the famine in the 1990s where they used beer bottles as IVs. Most of the medical equipment came from a visit by Czechoslovakians in the late 70s/early 80s or something.
I saw beer bottles as used as IVs during the Inside North Korea documentary, so that hasn't changed much.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1511 on: May 04, 2013, 02:15:07 am »

You both should have quoted my whole post. If you read it thoroughly, I clearly meant what would happen if there was a coop, and how that's better than what the country is going through thanks to Kim jr.
Hey guess what.

That's exactly what I did.

And on a quasi-related note, should people start backing up their claims of 'might,' 'may' and 'possibly?'

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: May 04, 2013, 03:27:20 pm »

That was my exact point. A coup could very well make things even worse.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: May 06, 2013, 02:00:42 pm »

No threats from North Korea recently. Also, check this out.
That isn't so much "no threats" as "fewer threats then statistically average".
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 341