Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 515335 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Boat Korea Is Sinking, Get The Bucket! [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #1845 on: June 26, 2013, 05:14:31 pm »

Am I the only one around here who knows that there are a lot of variants of AK assault rifles?
Besides AK-47 (which has always been called AK in the Soviet and Russian armies) there are also AKM (the improved version of the original AK, developed in the 1950s), AK-74 (revamped and improved AKM, using 5.45×39mm cartridges), AKS-74U (the carbine version of AK-74), AK-101 (modified export variant of AK-74 using NATO 5.56×45mm rounds), AK-107 (modified derivative of AK-101) and the newest AK-12 (still in development).

GGI -- yours was one of the best avatars on Bay12; why'd you change it?  Just for variety? 
What avatar are you talking about: "Stalin in headphones", "Rainbow Stalin" or the ones I had before?
Note: I use rotating avatar service from signavatar.com
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: June 26, 2013, 05:24:09 pm »

Don't forget my favorite the AEK-971

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Did you know Mikhail Kalashnikov is still alive? [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #1847 on: June 26, 2013, 05:34:36 pm »

(clip)
Supply lines, people. A starving man can't fight using a gun that ran out of bullets days ago and badly needs to be cleaned.

An AK-47 never really needs to be cleaned which is why it's been the most popular assault rifle in the world since ... 1947.  I concede the points about bullets and owlbread, tho'.   :)
AK-47s are robust, but not invincible. I'm sure there's the potential for problems, especially with the consideration that of all the badly maintained terrible AK clones, Best Korea's Type 58s are probably the worst maintained and the worst quality.

I'd say Kalashnikov is spinning in his grave, but a quick check reveals that he is somehow not dead.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Did you know Mikhail Kalashnikov is still alive? [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #1848 on: June 26, 2013, 05:53:10 pm »

I'd say Kalashnikov is spinning in his grave, but a quick check reveals that he is somehow not dead.
He's currently undergoing treatment in a hospital.
Despite the old age, he has never quit working at the Izmash factory up until recently. I hope he'll recover.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: June 26, 2013, 05:54:49 pm »

He's currently undergoing treatment in a hospital.
Despite the old age, he has never quit working at the Izmash factory up until recently. I hope he'll recover.
Given that he's 93 and looks like he's 65, I certainly wouldn't count him out just yet.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: June 26, 2013, 06:25:02 pm »

Am I the only one around here who knows that there are a lot of variants of AK assault rifles?
Probably not, no.

GGI -- yours was one of the best avatars on Bay12; why'd you change it?  Just for variety? 
What avatar are you talking about: "Stalin in headphones", "Rainbow Stalin" or the ones I had before?

The one you're using now.  Again.  [edit: headphones, I'm guessing]
Note: I use rotating avatar service from signavatar.com

Cool.  Thanks for the tip.  A rotating Bastet head might be a bit too Linda Blair-y but still, thanks.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:42:23 am by jimboo »
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: June 27, 2013, 08:51:51 am »

In North Korea they call those homeless children "wandering swallows". You can watch them on youtube dying of starvation, curled up in agony.

If you read those articles carefully they also show that the North Korean sphere of influence over the defectors has grown quite substantially, given that Laos has repatriated nine former wandering swallows that managed to escape there. Southeast Asia was traditionally the safest route for defectors to go through besides Mongolia, now they may need to think quite carefully.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 08:53:58 am by Owlbread »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: June 27, 2013, 09:12:56 am »

Dear fucking God, North Korea.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1854 on: June 27, 2013, 10:06:25 am »

Sigh. Must be the nukes. I don't think Laos was an especially powerful nation, so I'd imagine it didn't want to take SK's side justin case NK goes crazy.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: North Korea Are Unbelieveable Psychopaths [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #1855 on: June 27, 2013, 10:45:20 am »

Thread title creator: honestly? You're giving me this, for that?

In North Korea they call those homeless children "wandering swallows". You can watch them on youtube dying of starvation, curled up in agony.

If you read those articles carefully they also show that the North Korean sphere of influence over the defectors has grown quite substantially, given that Laos has repatriated nine former wandering swallows that managed to escape there. Southeast Asia was traditionally the safest route for defectors to go through besides Mongolia, now they may need to think quite carefully.

I'm certain you do a hell of a lot for them, or those like them. Change the thread title, it can be jokey if you like, mock me if you like, but bloody change it.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:52:41 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1857 on: June 27, 2013, 10:48:55 am »

You mean this footage?
How on Earth do they survive Winter?

...I guess they don't.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: June 27, 2013, 10:58:38 am »

If you guys are going to call North Koreans unbelievable psychopaths for that you should listen to that army officer that defected who claims to have been a commander in a concentration camp. He says he oversaw human experimentation that involved gassing women and children, among other terrible things. Whether or not he's lying remains to be seen.

You mean this footage?

Yeah, that's one of them, though I distinctly remember seeing one of shabbily dressed kids walking around with no visible parents and a kid lying on the ground bent double, his face all twisted up. Nobody giving a damn. During the famine people just used to step over corpses because they were so traumatised.

I have found one version of the video, though someone put an irritating soundtrack to it and gave it a really stupid title, my advice is to just mute it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOM-iLDa-BQ

I believe it was taken by a group of activists within the country I heard about in a documentary. They smuggled a video camera into the DPRK and put it in a brown bag with a hole in it. They would then carry it around, filming what they saw. They'd smuggle the videos across the border.

Sigh. Must be the nukes. I don't think Laos was an especially powerful nation, so I'd imagine it didn't want to take SK's side justin case NK goes crazy.

I think Laos and Cambodia traditionally had quite good relationships with North Korea anyway. Cambodia's king used to get on very well with Kim Il-sung. There's quite a few South Korean Christian groups operating in Cambodia nowadays helping out defectors.

A lot of the videos that used to be on youtube have been taken down. I had to find the video of the starving girl on liveleak:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1dd_1364601643&comments=1
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:23:50 am by Owlbread »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: June 27, 2013, 12:42:10 pm »

Laos is xenophobic, they don't want outsiders in their country, they have their own problems with cleansing out the Hmong from the mountains and really don't give a damn to anyone else tell their parent country to take them back.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 341