Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 515000 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Dissent, Internet, Revolution. [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #2400 on: November 22, 2013, 05:21:10 pm »

This is assuming China would even support NK. I wouldn't. If I were ruling China, I would see this as far better opportunity to clean up China's image and have influence in Unified Korea. This isn't the Cold War. There isn't as much to be gained from supporting terrible nations just because another power opposes them.

We're going on the assumption that the Chinese would install a puppet military government in the North, but surely that is unsustainable. Unification of some kind is inevitable.
The sheer cost of trying to develop the new North Korean territories will surely crash the South Korean economy.
I'm not so sure. North Korea is the lowest-hanging fruit of all when it comes to societal improvement. It could ultimately be profitable with the right plan.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: November 22, 2013, 05:39:28 pm »

That's so stupid, I won't even change the thread title for it.
That sounds like a challenge.

Another American Citizen was arrested in North Korea, A Korean War vet interestingly. North Korean news has not mentioned this.
Why do people keep going to these dangerous places? Certainly they must know it just paints a huge target on their backs saying "imprison/kill/hold me hostage!". Or maybe I'm being too optimistic.
Did he try to illegally cross the border? If he did, he was practically asking for being arrested by North Korean state security forces for being a possible spy/saboteur/enemy propagandist/whatever.
He was there as part of a tourist group. From what I gather, they detained him because they just felt like it. Though, it's hard to get much solid info on this.

Seriously, people. Stop going to these places. If the country in question is either:
1. Full of drug warring/infighting
2. Hates the country you are from/appear to be from

...then DON'T GO THERE! They hate you! They will likely come up with any reason (or not, whatever) to fuck you over and make your country of origin look foolish, or gain some sort of political leverage by holding you hostage. Going to these places is just plain stupid.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: November 22, 2013, 05:45:19 pm »

He was there as part of a tourist group. From what I gather, they detained him because they just felt like it. Though, it's hard to get much solid info on this.

Seriously, people. Stop going to these places. If the country in question is either:
1. Full of drug warring/infighting
2. Hates the country you are from/appear to be from

...then DON'T GO THERE! They hate you! They will likely come up with any reason (or not, whatever) to fuck you over and make your country of origin look foolish, or gain some sort of political leverage by holding you hostage. Going to these places is just plain stupid.

Well that isn't very true, the North Koreans will usually bend over backwards to make you happy and content in their country. They work really, really hard to make sure tourists have a good time, specifically one that would show their country in a good light (although if you disobey the guides or say something you shouldn't there's hell to pay). North Korea actively encourages tourism because of the income the tourists bring and any good PR at all is very welcome.

This particular situation is a wild card, the North probably wants something or he might have said something he shouldn't in a particularly forceful way, or god knows. For him to be actually detained then maybe he tried to escape from his group or something to see the "real North Korea".

Why do people keep going to these dangerous places? Certainly they must know it just paints a huge target on their backs saying "imprison/kill/hold me hostage!". Or maybe I'm being too optimistic.

North Korea isn't dangerous, not for tourists. This is very rare.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 05:52:17 pm by Owlbread »

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: November 22, 2013, 10:45:25 pm »

Why am I thinking that North Korea is pretty much a real life tropico?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: November 22, 2013, 10:47:39 pm »

It isn't. North Korea is a monstrous, totalitarian society. If you want Tropico, look at Gulf island dictatorships.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: November 23, 2013, 05:39:43 pm »

Posting to watch.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2406 on: November 24, 2013, 06:15:58 am »

Posting to watch.
In North Korea, post watches you.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: November 24, 2013, 03:59:01 pm »

Posting to watch.

No, it just informs the government that you posted and then goes back to trying to find something to eat.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: November 26, 2013, 07:03:05 am »

Posting to watch.

No, it just informs the government that you posted and then goes back to trying to find something to eat.
Almost the same as in America, except for something to eat, it looks for a scapegoat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: November 30, 2013, 12:57:32 am »

Posting to watch.

Almost the same as in America, except for something to eat, it looks for a scapegoat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As an American, dohohoho!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: November 30, 2013, 02:46:22 pm »

The North justified the arrest of the American by saying he was guilty of war crimes.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: November 30, 2013, 03:35:22 pm »

There is a point to that.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: December 07, 2013, 09:29:25 am »

There are allegations that he was part of a US special forces group that trained partisans in the North.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: December 09, 2013, 02:05:15 pm »

Kim Jong-il's uncle and a senior official of the Worker's Party of Korea, Chang Song-thaek, have been sacked by Kim Jong-un on the grounds of reportedly committing "anti-party, counter-revolutionary factional acts". He was also forcibly removed from a government meeting.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 341