Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 513896 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: DEARLEADERSTATUS: Standby [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #3210 on: October 10, 2014, 05:19:15 am »

Hardly surprising, it's pretty similar to the kind of huge boost in agricultural productions China experienced after giving up on communal farms. I'm surprised I didn't hear anything about it. Do you think it could herald further economic liberalization on the Chinese model?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: October 10, 2014, 05:32:53 am »

Hardly surprising, it's pretty similar to the kind of huge boost in agricultural productions China experienced after giving up on communal farms. I'm surprised I didn't hear anything about it. Do you think it could herald further economic liberalization on the Chinese model?
According to Lankov, the North Korean government is very cautious about reforms because it fears it could bring about the spread of anti-government sentiment. Many people are already angry at the constant rise of the income gap between the rich and the poor - that's why the older people are nostalgic for the time when Kim il-Sung was in charge. I posted an article here about it before.
As Lankov said several years ago: "For the North Korean government, not starting reforms is awaiting their demise, starting reforms is bringing forward their demise"
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 05:35:40 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: October 10, 2014, 05:56:22 am »

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2014/10/10/0200000000AEN20141010007751315.html
SEOUL, Oct. 10 (Yonhap) -- The two Koreas exchanged fire across their tense border Friday, Seoul's military said, after the North launched shots toward balloons carrying anti-Pyongyang leaflets floated by South Korean civic activists.

South Korean military officials said some of the North Korean shots landed south of the border, prompting the South's military to fire back in response.

Seems pretty tense these days. There was an incident between two navy ships not long ago too, around the same time some NK brass made a surprise visit to the south to restart talks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: October 10, 2014, 07:29:47 am »

There was an important (for NK) holiday that Kim normally shows up for, does anybody know if he showed up or is still AWOL?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: October 10, 2014, 12:31:19 pm »

There was an important (for NK) holiday that Kim normally shows up for, does anybody know if he showed up or is still AWOL?

Just read in the paper he was a no show. I'll dig up a non-paywalled link.

Edit: There we go Courtesy of the CBC

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: October 10, 2014, 12:43:15 pm »

Damn, I was hoping that they'd have done a Weekend at Bernie's style puppet show with Dear Leader's body.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: DEARLEADERSTATUS: Tracking Lost [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #3216 on: October 10, 2014, 02:28:45 pm »

There is speculation (founded on not much) that China may be involved somehow, in the context of "reining in" an unruly client state.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: October 10, 2014, 02:44:35 pm »

What about a third option: Kim Jong Un has been a puppet of the ruling elite/military of NK for some time and suddenly is refusing to co-operate?
This is a blank sig.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: October 10, 2014, 03:21:27 pm »

What about a third option: Kim Jong Un has been a puppet of the ruling elite/military of NK for some time and suddenly is refusing to co-operate?

Wouldn't we have seen signs of that? Also, his sister (forget her name) is handling some stuff now apparently. Plus didn't he pretty much upend the top command structures a while ago?

There is speculation (founded on not much) that China may be involved somehow, in the context of "reining in" an unruly client state.

I was kind of under the impression that they have gotten fed up with it, about the only thing keeping them from completely severing ties is the fear of having to deal with potentially millions of refugees fleeing over the border when NK collapses.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: October 10, 2014, 03:47:09 pm »

I was kind of under the impression that they have gotten fed up with it, about the only thing keeping them from completely severing ties is the fear of having to deal with potentially millions of refugees fleeing over the border when NK collapses.
Which is why they may have stepped in if they were aware of a brewing problem in the NK upper echelon. Can't have a potentially destabilizing civil war/coup if Glorious Leader is already replaced. Although it's odd that there's been absolutely no troop movements out of the ordinary, and no nervous propaganda announcements. Whatever's happening, the ruling clique seem to be perfectly fine with the situation.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: October 10, 2014, 03:48:48 pm »

I completely disbelieve the idea that China has any real control over NK's internal politics. NK is a bad ally to China, but they aren't a client state any more than Mexico is a client state to the US, and Mexico lacks the totalitarian political system that NK uses to manage things.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3221 on: October 11, 2014, 02:13:25 pm »

I completely disbelieve the idea that China has any real control over NK's internal politics. NK is a bad ally to China, but they aren't a client state any more than Mexico is a client state to the US, and Mexico lacks the totalitarian political system that NK uses to manage things.
China had some real control on NK's internal politics right up until KJU's uncle was annihilated via artillery barrage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: October 11, 2014, 02:52:45 pm »

China had some real control on NK's internal politics right up until KJU's uncle was annihilated via artillery barrage.
I'll give you that he was definitely Pro-China and Bejing's man of the hour in Pyongyang, but that still wasn't a puppet-style relationship.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: October 13, 2014, 06:17:56 pm »

You can all relax. Stories of the Dear Leader's retirement/deposing/death/full mechanization were greatly exaggerated. Or so NK media is claiming.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/13/world/asia/north-korea-kim-jong-un/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DEARLEADERSTATUS: Leg Servos Malfunctioning [North Korea Thread]
« Reply #3224 on: October 13, 2014, 08:02:10 pm »

Okay, so I guess he had some sort of leg injury? But even if it WERE a leg injury, that wouldn't stop him from showing in public, bad legs didn't stop FDR.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 341