Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 514984 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

As I understand it, there's not a whole lot we can do unless A) we (or the Germans) find out who made the threats and they come to the USA for some reason, or B) we (or the Germans) find out who made the threats, then we convince the Germans to arrest them and ship them over here. I don't really see A), and the Germans probably have better things to do than bother with B).
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know it's extremely unlikely that they'll be extradited, but given that it's probably going to end up under German jurdicision (unless the person isn't a German citizen maybe), they should still slap them with something due to the seriousness of it.

I'm guessing it's some idiot teenager who thought it would be funny to pull off that kind of thing and probably thinks they won't get charged just because they aren't in the US.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

600 meters is roughly max effective range for point targets and an intermediate cartridge, using a decent platform and iron sights.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Unless you're a snow Finn with a mission

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unless you're a snow Finn with a mission

Aren't they all snow Finns? :D

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Simo used a full sized rifle cartridge, not an intermediate round. Even with an intermediate round, it's possible to go further out (especially with good shooting technique and optic), but it's not the general usage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

God knows that a small fishing vessel at sea is among the most stable platforms to conduct long-distance shooting from.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

https://youtu.be/e3bXlXtcHTY?t=2m59s

Random Turks are equal to SEAL's, right?

Although, assuming that everything happened like it's reported, I totally see the Ruskie's concern. Small boats as a svbied are a serious risk to any navy.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 06:42:10 pm by Strife26 »

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Simo used a full sized rifle cartridge, not an intermediate round. Even with an intermediate round, it's possible to go further out (especially with good shooting technique and optic), but it's not the general usage.

A survey among German snipers mid-war reported that 600m was "extreme" shooting, 700 the longest any of them bothered at and the preferred range to be 300-400. Marksmen doubted their weapon's lethality at extreme ranges and through heavy clothing. This was with the 7.92 IS and Kar98's. A .22 LR at 600 meters against personnel beggars belief. .223, possibly.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

.223 is certainly lethal and usable out to that range. With a decent bullet drop compensator and standard ammunition, 800 meters isn't unheard of. It is, of course, mostly a question of sight lines and the type of fight one would be getting into. Most fights with small arms take place significantly under 200 meters, hence the universal switch from full size rifle rounds to intermediate ones by ever major military power.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

.223 is certainly lethal and usable out to that range. With a decent bullet drop compensator and standard ammunition, 800 meters isn't unheard of. It is, of course, mostly a question of sight lines and the type of fight one would be getting into. Most fights with small arms take place significantly under 200 meters, hence the universal switch from full size rifle rounds to intermediate ones by ever major military power.
That said, .223 does tend to cause relatively minor wounds at those ranges,
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Was it a naval or civilian Turkish ship?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was a fishing boat
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

It was a fishing boat
The most insidious of military attack craft.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Understandable then. One could imagine an ISIS affiliate loading a ship with explosive.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 341