Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 341

Author Topic: Additional CIA japes [DPRK Thread]  (Read 515043 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Spain/Poland Fics For Days. Now With Tankies. [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #3660 on: December 23, 2015, 11:58:06 am »

The report zooms in on six attacks between september and november, on the cities of Homs, Idlip and Aleppo.
The attacks killed about 16 IS fighters, and over 200 civilians.
Wait, aren't those cities the very same cities that have been claimed by Western media to have no IS forces in them? I'm pretty sure that there ain't any IS in Homs, Idlib and Aleppo, at least not in any meaningful numbers.

Pretty sure I have not seen a single claim from any of the media sources I access that has made such a claim, sorry. I would also suggest that 16 fighters in 3 cities killed in attacks of large enough magnitude to kill 200 civilians constitutes a not very meaningful number of fighters.
This is a blank sig.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Tolarable Russian Violence Against US Enemy, Obama When Alliance [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #3661 on: December 23, 2015, 12:56:17 pm »

Weird. I remember it was a Big Thing™ that Russian bombers were only moving around these three places, proving that Russia did not really wanted to attack ISIS since "there is no ISIS there, only anti-Assad rebels". I mean, I've seen that thing being posted all over the place, several times, are you not sure you did not just miss it?
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Spain/Poland Fics For Days. Now With Tankies. [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #3662 on: December 23, 2015, 08:12:46 pm »

The report zooms in on six attacks between september and november, on the cities of Homs, Idlip and Aleppo.
The attacks killed about 16 IS fighters, and over 200 civilians.
Wait, aren't those cities the very same cities that have been claimed by Western media to have no IS forces in them? I'm pretty sure that there ain't any IS in Homs, Idlib and Aleppo, at least not in any meaningful numbers.
Don't know about Homs and Idlib, but for Aleppo yes. Well, kind of, certain Western media started blaming Russia for appearance of ISIS in Aleppo

Pretty sure I have not seen a single claim from any of the media sources I access that has made such a claim, sorry. I would also suggest that 16 fighters in 3 cities killed in attacks of large enough magnitude to kill 200 civilians constitutes a not very meaningful number of fighters.
I dunno, for Russia it is very good number, just look at the Moscow theatre crisis. 50 terrorists, 800 hostages... No spetznaz died, but 180 casualties - mission accomplish

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tolarable Russian Violence Against US Enemy, Obama When Alliance [DPRK Thread]
« Reply #3663 on: December 23, 2015, 08:18:52 pm »

Does Russia even care what amnesty international thinks?

Is this a problem for them in any way?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: December 23, 2015, 08:20:43 pm »

Does Russia even care what amnesty international thinks?

Is this a problem for them in any way?

Does anyone?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:50:06 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3666 on: December 23, 2015, 08:31:36 pm »

Does anyone?
Have to admit that got laffs from me, but the lower level amnesty people do some honest moral work at risk to their own lives... Even if the management is many things bad

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: December 24, 2015, 09:47:39 am »

Saw this in one of those generated tabs in that google tab list page when you open a new tab:
http://qz.com/574352/putin-signs-a-law-that-allows-russia-to-ignore-international-court-rulings-that-it-doesnt-like/?utm_source=ff

Doesn't the US tend to do this sometimes? Though pretty sure we don't have a law saying that we can ignore it, which btw, having such a law is also against the law in the Vienna Convention.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3668 on: December 24, 2015, 10:03:54 am »

I thought the US was half the world's international law

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: December 24, 2015, 10:23:15 am »

Everyone does that. International law is a realm of absurdities and fluffy words. It's where ten years of consolidation will see the Islamic State on the Human Rights Commission.

Compared to the body of International Law, Amnesty International is neatly equal in authority to the Second Law of Motion.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: December 24, 2015, 10:41:51 am »

Doesn't the US tend to do this sometimes? Though pretty sure we don't have a law saying that we can ignore it, which btw, having such a law is also against the law in the Vienna Convention.
Well, there's a US law that says that USA has the right to use military force to free its own soldiers from international criminal court, which is as good as saying that it has a law saying that US can ignore any verdict of the said court in relation to its army. So that's one. There's also this gem:
For example, the United States had previously accepted the Court's compulsory jurisdiction upon its creation in 1946 but in 1984, after Nicaragua v. United States, withdrew its acceptance following the court's judgment that called on the US to "cease and to refrain" from the "unlawful use of force" against the government of Nicaragua. The court ruled (with only the American judge dissenting) that the United States was "in breach of its obligation under the Treaty of Friendship with Nicaragua not to use force against Nicaragua" and ordered the United States to pay war reparations (see note 2).
So basically US, at least if I understand how it's "common law" system works, has a precedent for ignoring the decisions of international courts if they don't like them, effectively meaning that they do have a law saying that they can flat-out ignore international law.
._.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: December 24, 2015, 11:22:26 am »

Yeah, that's pretty much everyone's stance. National sovereignty trumps international agreements whenever the nation is strong enough to do so.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: December 24, 2015, 11:28:03 am »

The difference between National law and International law is as such

National law is like a binding contract
International law is like an agreement between friends

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3673 on: December 24, 2015, 12:13:58 pm »

International law is like an agreement between friends enemies

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: December 24, 2015, 12:18:20 pm »

International law is like an agreement between frenemies
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 341