Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 437003 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette mission 10: Ice 9
« Reply #1800 on: August 20, 2013, 03:33:04 pm »

You know, no one as overloaded an amp yet. It's always been manipulators. The effects may be different. And much more fatal, since you can't throw them away.
((Yeah, I know. I'm also glad, because an overloading amp would mean whatever eldritch singularity spawning from it would most likely originate from someone's brain and most likely catch nearby teammates in the blink of an eye.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1801 on: August 20, 2013, 04:20:09 pm »

((I'm really hoping people make it out OK, if only to hear what Steve has to say when he debriefs them (since, unless the Radiant One dies, the mission is technically a success). That and the fact that I like many of the characters in this mission and I wouldn't like to see them die.

And I just realised you're turning the palace of the Sun god into an icy wasteland.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: August 20, 2013, 05:58:47 pm »

((And how else would it work? As far as I'm concerned, a nuke works by joining two or more halves or uranium together, at which point it goes boom. You think it works any different in the future?

Pyrodesu would be very helpful here.))

((Sorry I'm late. RE: This argument, nuclear (and thermonuclear, that is, fusion) weapons are extraordinarily sensitive, particularly fusion. See, instead of gun-type designs (the whole, put two separate pieces together for boom one), most weapons are implosion, with very precise high-explosive lenses. This is even more true for fusion, once again, as the fusion happens within the imploding core. Punching a nuke could disarm it permanently, and I say disarm, I mean "turn it into a dirty bomb".))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1803 on: August 20, 2013, 06:06:01 pm »

((And how else would it work? As far as I'm concerned, a nuke works by joining two or more halves or uranium together, at which point it goes boom. You think it works any different in the future?

((Sorry I'm late. RE: This argument, nuclear (and thermonuclear, that is, fusion) weapons are extraordinarily sensitive, particularly fusion. See, instead of gun-type designs (the whole, put two separate pieces together for boom one), most weapons are implosion, with very precise high-explosive lenses. This is even more true for fusion, once again, as the fusion happens within the imploding core. Punching a nuke could disarm it permanently, and I say disarm, I mean "turn it into a dirty bomb".))
The inherent paradox of nuclear weapons. Gun type bombs made with Uranium 235 are easy to make, but U235 is a bitch to get hold of unless you have a mile long processing factory. Plutonium is much easier to get, but the process for detonating it is absurdly complex and difficult to get right; requiring world class explosives experts and precision manufacturing.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: August 20, 2013, 06:11:43 pm »

Follow Stacy's lead and run to the other side of the compound ASAP. If a wall or something gets in the way, punch it with the Kinetic Amp.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: August 20, 2013, 06:23:47 pm »

The inherent paradox of nuclear weapons. Gun type bombs made with Uranium 235 are easy to make, but U235 is a bitch to get hold of unless you have a mile long processing factory. Plutonium is much easier to get, but the process for detonating it is absurdly complex and difficult to get right; requiring world class explosives experts and precision manufacturing.
((Somehow I don't think UWM would have any problems with having several miles long processing factories. How would that influence the design, and by association, the results of kicking a nuke?

Also, dirty bomb? From Wikipedia: "A dirty bomb is a speculative radiological weapon that combines radioactive material with conventional explosives." So does it mean it will still explode but be less powerfull, and somehow become conventional explosive?))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1806 on: August 20, 2013, 06:27:04 pm »

((Also, dirty bomb? From Wikipedia: "A dirty bomb is a speculative radiological weapon that combines radioactive material with conventional explosives." So does it mean it will still explode but be less powerfull, and somehow become conventional explosive?))
((You just use explosives (in this case amp powered punches) to spread radioactive material over a large area, causing radiation poisoning to the people there. Not visually impressive but still deadly (to unprotected civilians) over longer periods of time. If done right. And nobody does something to clear the area afterwards.))
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:30:13 pm by Parisbre56 »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: August 20, 2013, 06:40:42 pm »

((What Paris said. Also, implosion is pretty much the only way to get a thermonuclear weapon, whether spherical or between detonating fission platters. Judging from the yield from such a small object, those things are almost certainly implosion-based, gun-types are inherently larger.

As to PW: It still requires a lot of refining of Uranium to get enough that you can put in a reactor and breed Plutonium. In fact, that's why the government doesn't really like fuel reprocessing: There's weapons-grade material in the "spent" (I put that in quotes because about 85% of the U-235 is still unburnt) rods, which is extracted in the reprocessing. This was desireable when we wanted to mass-produce nukes. Not now.))
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:43:18 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: August 20, 2013, 07:53:02 pm »

((Get PMs. Check thread title. Begin pounding fists in anger.

NOT AGAIN DAMN YOU ALL

Anyway, I would strongly advise against trying to outheat the Ice-9. As mentioned, any device you throw at it is likely to freeze past the point of operation, meaning you're talking about a second sun or nuclear blast between us and the freezewall of doom.

We do not have space for a second sun or nuclear blast between us and the freezewall of doom.))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: August 20, 2013, 07:57:21 pm »

((Get PMs. Check thread title. Begin pounding fists in anger.

NOT AGAIN DAMN YOU ALL

Anyway, I would strongly advise against trying to outheat the Ice-9. As mentioned, any device you throw at it is likely to freeze past the point of operation, meaning you're talking about a second sun or nuclear blast between us and the freezewall of doom.

We do not have space for a second sun or nuclear blast between us and the freezewall of doom.))
((Agreed. Do we do the shield of temperature preservation?))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: August 20, 2013, 08:10:14 pm »

((I assume this is the part of the game where it finally ends with a Total Party Kill and everyone Rage Quits and then Piecewise has no more players so the game dies and he has to resort to ghost writing for L.R. Hubbard because the Scientologists don't realize that man is dead.))
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: August 20, 2013, 08:16:43 pm »

((Agreed. Do we do the shield of temperature preservation?))
((The what?

The issue I have with trying to amp-cool the anomaly is that it's likely too powerful for that to have much of an effect on. You might be able to accomplish something by pouring heat into it, assuming physics isn't borked enough for that to generate thermonuclear explosions in its own right, but I'm dubious you could override the effect well enough for most of your purposes.))

((I'm really hoping people make it out OK, if only to hear what Steve has to say when he debriefs them (since, unless the Radiant One dies, the mission is technically a success). That and the fact that I like many of the characters in this mission and I wouldn't like to see them die.

And I just realised you're turning the palace of the Sun god into an icy wasteland.))
((I missed this earlier. YAY BLASPHEMY and/or SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DEFY THE WILL OF THE SUN?))

((I assume this is the part of the game where it finally ends with a Total Party Kill and everyone Rage Quits and then Piecewise has no more players so the game dies and he has to resort to ghost writing for L.R. Hubbard because the Scientologists don't realize that man is dead.))
((I imagine this would be a very dark religion.

"If you're good, you go to heaven. But when I say good, I mean much better than you, obviously, and the idiots around you can drag you down with them even if you personally don't screw up that badly.

You're fucked, is what I'm trying to say here. You're in hell on your way to hell, essentially."))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: August 20, 2013, 08:18:37 pm »

((My plan for now is 'call Steve to evac and form a temperature-neutral zone around the party with all amps/manipulators to survive until pickup.' Not sure if it's going to work.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: August 20, 2013, 09:08:33 pm »

((You know, I thought WE were boned. Thanks for correcting me.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: August 20, 2013, 09:17:55 pm »

((You know, I thought WE were boned. Thanks for correcting me.))
((Well, now that everyone abandoned planns for a heat shield :(, punching/throwing the nuke in :(, and trying to overclock their amps/manipulators to combat the super-freeze :( :(... they are actually in a better shape than we are. There is nothing to suggest that they can't simply outrun the effect, and indeed they are doing just that.

Meanwhile, at Canary base, we are about to lose our base, which is actually very helpful to have. And in addition, we still have several morons in the base and on it's roof, who are apparently going nowhere. You know, I think that overall we are much worse off. Of course, not that Vich is concerned. He is faaaar away from whatever is about to happen.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 243