Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 435708 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Survey Team
« Reply #3000 on: December 21, 2013, 02:07:32 am »

Take a moment to correctly set up the rappel systems for the guys going into the pit, doing it again and again until I get it right. Then head up with Simus and help her with checking integrity.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: December 21, 2013, 02:08:58 am »

((1: You did read what happened to the Sword, yeah? We're going to be here -quite- a while. More than ample opportunity to slip out and magpie to your heart's content (and even more if you focus on getting the job done now and not irritating your current CO).

2: Yes, we know what happened, but do we know all of the effects of what happened? There could be value to keeping form intact as well as simple materials analysis. Either way, not our job beyond determining safety.

3: You are not at the shipyard crater. You are still at the front of the admin building (which has been described as a crater). Do consider that is where the bulk of our operations will be taking place in and around. And systems does not mean only machinery.

You are correct in what our mission is. You are correct about how we should be analyzing any anomalous patches. Get this: I didn't forbid that. In fact, I expressly said that it should be done. You have completed your analysis of the gold. The diamond analysis would only take a sliver, if you can get it. I forbade gross materials collection beyond what is necessary.

Now, mind you, this is all IC thoughts from me. OOC, I don't care, but Simus does care.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: December 21, 2013, 02:23:16 am »

"What do you even need that stuff for, Auron? Nobody in their right mind here will buy them, as much as 'right mind' applies to ARM, and you don't even have the tools to work them anyway. Just leave that stuff and come back later with a jackhammer and a vacuum.

In other news, I think I may have invented a prescient drone. It appears to stop working whenever it thinks I'm about to do something stupid. And according to it, that's all the damn time.

Makes me want to reconsider the mission, but... orders are orders.
"

Pack up the drones and start rappelling down, taking rad readings and other measurements. Keep a weather eye out for falling debris and possible anomalies that may have gotten here.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 02:25:45 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: December 21, 2013, 03:16:16 am »

"who said anything about selling anything? I am merely taking samples so that structural integrity checks and hazard identification may proceed smoothly."

((I coulda sworn the gold dust was at the edge of the crater...

Im only keeping shards, not bricks. Just enough that i can analyze it with a bit left over.

What Simus doesnt see cant anger her.))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: December 21, 2013, 03:23:52 am »

"who said anything about selling anything? I am merely taking samples so that structural integrity checks and hazard identification may proceed smoothly."
"Just make sure your samples are small enough so that structural integrity checks aren't expedited by gravity."

((I think you can keep the stuff as long as you keep up. Nobody but you seems to need it anyway.))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: December 21, 2013, 03:40:49 am »

Survey the area. Look for anything that shouldn't be doing what it's doing.

((Is the stealth paint still active on the armor, except for the arm that came off? A floating arm, basically?))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: December 21, 2013, 06:25:12 am »

((Keep in mind that we'll be going back by the place where you are. She might or might not see some shards of diamond taken from the hall, but she will see if you gather the gold. Also, thank you Sean for having Anton give a name, that Simus will have heard. She was just making a generalized comment beforehand.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: December 21, 2013, 10:24:43 am »

In other news, I think I may have invented a prescient drone. It appears to stop working whenever it thinks I'm about to do something stupid. And according to it, that's all the damn time.
((Mm-hm. It's prescient, not malfunctioning. Or being used badly. Of course.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: December 21, 2013, 10:25:39 am »

Wait until Bishop has properly set up the rapelling system thingy. Then rapel down, taking readings every so often and looking for weird things/survivors. If it goes awry and I fall, use my mass amp to make sure I don't fall to my death

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: December 21, 2013, 11:03:54 am »

((Mm-hm. It's prescient, not malfunctioning. Or being used badly. Of course.))
((I've already established IC that the custom OS results in odd behavior, the first time I used it. Back then Anton called it "a new type of realistic AI that is lazy", because it absolutely refused to do anything. Because I kept rolling ones. Now it's doing it again, so Anton is formulating new theories.

And it is, in its way, prescient. Because it's a dynamic bonus, and the drone stays put instead of spontaneously combusting on a 1. :P ))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3010 on: December 21, 2013, 02:53:21 pm »

Bishop, Anton, that's a good idea. Bishop, you and me are the only ones with rockets that aren't in exosuits, we're going to check the building. The rest of you, we still need this pit surveyed. Go down like I instructed unless anyone else has a better idea.

Go up with Bishop via rockets and check around the building to determine its structural integrity, ie. will it be collapsing anytime soon.
Take a moment to correctly set up the rappel systems for the guys going into the pit, doing it again and again until I get it right. Then head up with Simus and help her with checking integrity.
Bishop sets up the repel system, or at least the upper part of it, before he and Simus head up to the top levels of the building and begin inspecting. The upper levels are extremely unstable; so much so that even attempting to land has about a 50/50 chance of causing sections of the floor to collapse. The roof crumbles away as they try to stand on it and takes large pieces of the floors below with it.  Going down into deeper sections might mean it's more stable, but there's always the chance that the exhaust might cause a collapse.

((Yay nuclear gold, very cool, very nice, very mine.))

collect a handful of gold dust and make a pile with it then melt it into a carryable nugget using a very low intensity laser beam. Pocket the nugget.

Follow Simus instructions and begin making my way down into the pit, take sample chunks of any other materials that look out of place and try to snag a diamond from simus' hallway if possible.

Continue assessing structural integrity, resist urge to push support beams.

I'm just gonna let you know that gold has no value here. After all, miyamoto can make bricks of it out of dirt.

[handi:5]
You melt the gold dust down into a nugget about the size of your thumb and pocket it.

You break a bit of the diamond in a hall and sample it. It's standard diamond, nothing special about it.

You make your way to the nuke pit, marking down anything that looks structurally iffy as you go. The middle levels seem to have fared quite well, all things considered. Sure, some are now made of things they really shouldn't be, but at least they weren't collapsing.

You make it to the Nuke pit without putting your foot through the ground anywhere.

"What do you even need that stuff for, Auron? Nobody in their right mind here will buy them, as much as 'right mind' applies to ARM, and you don't even have the tools to work them anyway. Just leave that stuff and come back later with a jackhammer and a vacuum.

Makes me want to reconsider the mission, but... orders are orders.
"

Pack up the drones and start rappelling down, taking rad readings and other measurements. Keep a weather eye out for falling debris and possible anomalies that may have gotten here.
The Repair pit wasn't a straight hole downward, it was a stepped or tiered pit like an open-pit mine: distinct concentric layers which get smaller as they go down and form a circular, stairstep pattern. Despite the fact that the nuke has turned precise stone and metal edges and levels into rounded, irradiated cliffs, the tiered pattern still remains. It makes descent difficult, requiring a new anchor on each level.

You rappel down to the first tier and unhook yourself from the rope. The Geiger counter reads 10 RPH, though your internal monitors still read zero. This level, as with several of the upper ones is still somewhat intact. The areas near the edges of the level have been melted and worn smooth, but the area back nearer to the wall is still recognizable. There are machines, parts, even a ship or two that look salvageable, all pressed up against wall like metal dust bunnies. The attachment points for some of the raining and metal structure are still in place, and a good number of them still have parts of the cages and automated rail systems they used to hold stick to them. They form a strange sort of chaotic, half melted latice over parts of the level; like dadaist jungle gyms.

Survey the area. Look for anything that shouldn't be doing what it's doing.

((Is the stealth paint still active on the armor, except for the arm that came off? A floating arm, basically?))
Ah, we'll assume you had enough to spray paint the new robo arm.

You follow Anton down into the pit, sticking to him and scanning the area. You doubt that the survey team is gonna find survivors down here for you to "Debrief", but at least you can ply your gun skills protecting this techie. Assuming, of course, anything actually threatens him.

You don't like it down in the pit. Something deep seated in your merc instincts makes you fear anything that is invisible and can kill you. Especially when you don't quite understand it.

Wait until Bishop has properly set up the rapelling system thingy. Then rapel down, taking readings every so often and looking for weird things/survivors. If it goes awry and I fall, use my mass amp to make sure I don't fall to my death
You keep with the group, poking around through the debris and scanning. You find a couple bodies, badly burnt and damaged; clearly victims of the blast. Nothing alive though, and nothing that looks too out of the ordinary.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: December 21, 2013, 02:59:05 pm »

Bishop, I'm not sure if it's wise to continue further in. The area's stability is getting worse the more we progress. I suggest we go up instead, and try to find a lesser-damaged section above, then attempt to explore inside from there.

Nuclear Spelunker team, report in. Anything unusual or just nuke effects?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: December 21, 2013, 03:09:41 pm »

"Let's take a quick poke around the place, then head lower. I don't think we'll find anything notable here, and what we will find will probably be work for a salvage crew, not us.

Still, I have a suspicion about those ships over there. If a hull survived enough to be recognizable, it might have shielded someone, and a spaceship's a good place to seek cover in, if anyone was aware of the danger. Pancaek, if you're here for survivors, that might be the only place to look on this level. Shall we?
"

Accompany Pancaek (if he does go; if he doesn't just go alone) to the more recognizable ships and see if anyone might have been shielded by them from the blast. Take note of the count and state of ships in the immediate vicinity, for later salvage. Keep an eye out for anomalies.

Nuclear Spelunker team, report in. Anything unusual or just nuke effects?
"Still looking around, XO. Seems like a lot of heat and pressure wave damage mostly, and likely no survivors bar cockroaches. A few ships that might be salvageable, but I think we won't see much in the way of anything. How's it going up there, should we expect debris showers?"

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: December 21, 2013, 03:15:15 pm »

This place is more unstable up here than we thought, we can't even land without a good chance of a patch of the floor falling out from under us, and I'm starting to worry about the exhaust from our rockets triggering the same effect further in. We might be trying to find more stable areas above, to see if it's the entirety of the upper levels or just the midsection that's so unstable.

Also, is Auron with you? I didn't see him descending into the crater, but I may have missed him while looking around.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: December 21, 2013, 03:23:30 pm »

Also, is Auron with you? I didn't see him descending into the crater, but I may have missed him while looking around.
"Not... that I can see. Last I saw he was taking some material samples. Give him time, he's wearing an industrial exosuit, not a recreational jogging aid.

Plus, I'd really rather send him ahead into the lower levels. He can stay in higher rads than us, and for longer, so he can get some surveying done while we muck about in the wreckage here.
"

Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 243