Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 166

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ (44.12) - DF2019 Updated 24th Nov 2021  (Read 911612 times)

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ (43.03) - DF2016 - Newest version! - Updated 29th September
« Reply #1365 on: October 03, 2016, 10:15:28 pm »

Okay, much better.  Though the blue carpet is sorta anemic.  Guessing that's a color palette issue, not choice.  The kimberlite blue is much better.

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: October 03, 2016, 10:16:58 pm »

Okay, can anyone explain a pattern I'm seeing? I've been genning worlds for fun the past few days, cause looking through alot of the new creatures and how they become part of civilizations is a blast.

However I have started noting a pattern with kobolds. I tend to see kobold civs dying out first, but not due, (at least as much as I can tell) to population decline. Instead I noticed that many kobold civs, even with multiple sites, happen to abandon alot of their sites, the year before the world generation stops.

One I just did, had 4 sites that had been active each for just over a century. The worl stopped generating for me at year 105, and all four sites they had, were abandoned at year 104. Two of those sites had not even had any activity for the past 60-70 years. The civ had never went to war. The sites were never attacked by forgotten beasts, titans, or any other rampaging creatures. There are no deaths listed having happened in the place. It was just up and abandoned the year before World Generation ended.

I've not noticed this nearly as much with other races, as I have with Kobolds. Anyone have an explanation as to why this is happening? I know Kobolds are not supposed to be the strongest race, but they are supposed to be prolific breeders! Why am I seeing such pathetic numbers, and sites just being abandoned willy nilly?

Wonder if them dying of old age at 15 might factor in.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: October 04, 2016, 04:53:08 am »

Kobolds die out for several reasons:
- short life span (to the point that we should actually bug it to Meph) means they do not marry/breed enough.
- wandering outside their sites and being eaten by almost everything (try to look into legends and see how historic kobolds die) due to small size
- being thieving race might not help.
- their sites are usually so poor they do not get attacked by anything.

We should perhaps consider modding their life span to a range of at least 30-40.

When I gen a new world kobolds are usually the first to go. Goblins sometimes manage to explode in numbers but they do loose every war they are a part of.

So, try to mod kobold maxage and gen the world again. Tell us how it goes.
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Prismaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: October 04, 2016, 07:42:55 am »

Is there easy way to restrict leathers to xx stockpiles? I mean if  I want only lamellar leather in one stockpile, I have to disable like 200 different leather types manually D:

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: October 04, 2016, 08:21:59 am »

Is there easy way to restrict leathers to xx stockpiles? I mean if  I want only lamellar leather in one stockpile, I have to disable like 200 different leather types manually D:

Get into leather list in stockpile, move cursor to right column, use (s)earch function, then select fromt he list or use (p)ermit/(f)orbid.  Won't work everywhere, but sure is nice in stockpiles. 

Prismaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: October 04, 2016, 08:55:44 am »

Problem is that there is like all different animals that gives leather in there and I would like to have one stock pile for only  and one for hardened and stuff, have fun going all those through, oh I did notice now that there is only "Lamellar" option there, but now problem is to get stockpiles for hardened and non hardened leathers lol :D

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1371 on: October 04, 2016, 11:05:30 am »

Can't you use the search function and search only "hardened"?

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: October 04, 2016, 11:42:17 am »

Kobolds die out for several reasons:
- short life span (to the point that we should actually bug it to Meph) means they do not marry/breed enough.
- wandering outside their sites and being eaten by almost everything (try to look into legends and see how historic kobolds die) due to small size
- being thieving race might not help.
- their sites are usually so poor they do not get attacked by anything.

We should perhaps consider modding their life span to a range of at least 30-40.

When I gen a new world kobolds are usually the first to go. Goblins sometimes manage to explode in numbers but they do loose every war they are a part of.

So, try to mod kobold maxage and gen the world again. Tell us how it goes.

Alright, I'm gonna science a bit then. I'm try first with a Maxage of 25-30, Then a Maxage of 40-50.

EDIT: Oh Yeah, even after only testing 2 100 year Medium region worlds, the difference is clear. Out of the 40 Civs, divided by 10 races, the 25-30 Maxage Kobolds managed to have multiple surviving civilizations. Their maxage is a factor clearly to why they tend to die out so fast. However, even with these, I am having kobold Civs that just seem to Vanish with no clear reason.

One Civ in the first generation had 4 Sites that were active, only to abandon all 4 of their sites and die off in the year 99. In the Legends viewer it says in Red above the maps "Last Known Sites Year 99".

Is it that kobolds do not breed enough during World gen? I mean, when you go into fort mode, its not uncommon to have 20-30 children/babies born by the 3rd year. Or is it like you said, that being a Thieving race might have something to do with this weird world gen quirk of mass site abandonment?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 12:00:20 pm by chaosfiend »

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: October 04, 2016, 01:56:39 pm »

I don't really think there are many ways to force a civ to breed more rapidly.

You might try to change their values about family and romance to maximum (like 98:99:100) and see again what happens.

I don't think that kobolds have time to build up skills, marry and sire offspring and do their typical legend adventuring.

To me it looks as if game mechanics is rigged against small, short lived creatures in general.

Would you consider in addition to the above also double their rate at which they learn skill?

Total changes should give longer living kobolds who love family and romance (thus, more likely to breed) and improve skills at faster rate (thus perhaps surviving legends adventuring).

One more thing. See those 4 sites leaders/nobles and post here what happened to them. I think that when you export to xml you can search for the name kobold and see what happened to their civ and important figures.
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: October 04, 2016, 02:47:03 pm »

Ugh, this is such a pain in the rear, cause I know kobolds are SUPPOSED to be weak and short lived as they are, but it just grinds at me that a race that is supposed to breed so quickly, their numbers remain among the lowest at the end of the day in world Gen.

Prismaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: October 04, 2016, 07:29:52 pm »

Any idea why soundsense won't launch from MW launcher but I can launch it fine if I use SoundSense.cmd ?

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: October 05, 2016, 01:52:34 am »

Ugh, this is such a pain in the rear, cause I know kobolds are SUPPOSED to be weak and short lived as they are, but it just grinds at me that a race that is supposed to breed so quickly, their numbers remain among the lowest at the end of the day in world Gen.
We will have to bug it to Meph but it will be better if we provide him with a solution :)
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: October 05, 2016, 01:20:13 pm »

Not sure if this is a bug but i am playing human mode in i think 1.16 and it seems we are not able to make a screw press, which therefore means we can not make our own paper. Unless we have a workaround workshop that i have not seen yet.

Also curious is the guardhouse building ever going to see a return in human mode? I loved being able to make guardsmen and paladins

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: October 05, 2016, 01:22:35 pm »

Not sure if this is a bug but i am playing human mode in i think 1.16 and it seems we are not able to make a screw press, which therefore means we can not make our own paper. Unless we have a workaround workshop that i have not seen yet.

Is the screwpress not the north expansion to the Farmers' Guild?  Was in v1.13.  About to start a new human fort in v1.17 and will verify once I can, but that will take me a while.

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: October 05, 2016, 01:24:55 pm »

you are absolutely correct, my mistake
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 166