Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: The Banners of Heart: ☼Masterwork the Fortress☼  (Read 33330 times)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
Re: The Banners of Heart: ☼Masterwork the Fortress☼
« Reply #255 on: August 24, 2013, 10:33:46 am »

The surface fire is spreading fast.  One baby drake down.  Now two.  Three …

Us 1: Kobold Thief: 0
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The surface within the walls is 95% gone.  An invited caravan arrives faster than anybody will call down the rain from the Weather Control Device!

And now Talanic – our sole decent Armorer, Legendary, has died in the fire.  He was *supposed* to be cranking out the remaining volcanic breastplates tasked to him but instead went to help move the animals.  Brilland, I’m sorry – Olansarek the cladded Raptor is trapped in a corner, watching the flames approach.  I think it’s just a matter of time unless somebody decides to flip the switch, push the button or whatever at the Weather Station.

A sad day.

I’ve never used a Lifemancer before – will somebody chime in?  One earlier Overseer “stationed him next to a coffin”; is that how it’s done? 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #256 on: August 24, 2013, 03:23:33 pm »

Yep. Lifemancers target one corpse once a month for resurrection. the nearest will be the target. other mages cant be resurrected.

you can use the settings.exe, first tab, button: "Color" to change your color scheme. CLA is nice. Or use default-, which is the vanilla set. Maybe I should just call it that... ^^

How far is the year progressed by now?

Ideas for the fire: Dig channels around it, or wall the burning artefact in.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 24, 2013, 06:46:44 pm »

OK, Modmeister to the rescue, back to action.

Olansarek the Steel-Clad Raptor has melted.  Can we Lifemance ‘im?  Steel-clad or no, there’s nothing left but ashes, not even a partial skeleton.  Not on the list for a memorial. (A wagon can be memorialized?  Really?)

I suppose that’s one way.  Hotyoga, it’s called?

The invited drow left from the Depot without trading, the surface fire was too much for them.  They took a few Orcs with them on the way out.  The retracting marble bridge over the volcano is now working and we again have two valid, defensible paths to the Depot.  We have a lot of ash on the surface.  That surface fire went diagonal on me, past the firebreak tiles and across a workshop.  Most of the animals made it.  Talanic did not. 

Ashes.  All is ashes.
BMI percentage:

Fare thee well, Olansarek, Armok be w’ ye.  May ye meet w’ Chompy in that great, bright green Pasture in the Sky. 
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 24, 2013, 06:50:41 pm »

How far is the year progressed by now?

Whoops, missed the question:
25th Malachite, mid-Summer.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 25, 2013, 04:41:24 am »

you can use the settings.exe, first tab, button: "Color" to change your color scheme. CLA is nice. Or use default-, which is the vanilla set. Maybe I should just call it that... ^^

Say what?  Tilesets can’t be changed between saves, but tileset colors can?  Oh, man … well, thanks.  And hey, look at that – I found another basalt lever.  Seems I was on Warm+, everyone else is on default.  But I don’t think it should be called vanilla.  I think you should name it Eye-Popping Cavern Moss.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 25, 2013, 08:05:09 am »

Trying to raise Talanic, the Lifemancer decided instead to go to sleep.  Wonder how long that window remains open?

Announcements:

- Several ghosts laid to rest.  Several masterpieces, including weapons (way to go, Road).

An engineering flop:

The magma tunnels were expanded to allow additional magma forges, metallurgists and dedicated stockpiles.  What I should have done is tap directly into both sides of the volcano with additional grates but it was much easier to connect to the existing tunnels.  There’s extra flow that way but it’s usually no big deal.  A 1-wide tunnel of less than 20 length will fill and temp stabilize within two weeks.  I watched this one for a month and there were still 6’s, then it dawned on me what I’d done.  Tapping the volcano again without risking the fortress would require construction of an enclosed room with a door above because sometimes flying surprises come out of open magma sources (tubes, anyway; volcanoes may have that feature disabled).  There are no flying building destroyers (door) so at most, one dwarf is at risk.  Tapping the existing tunnels was faster/easier/safer but, it was taking longer than I expected to reach equilibrium.  Then it occurred to me: I hadn’t tapped into one source of magma, I’d channeled into the equivalent of a Christmas tree with 63 valves.  It’s kind of interesting to watch the Newtonian flow but I’m glad not to have to do the calculations.  It is flow so the FPS is back down into the 20’s.  If this was not a succession fortress, here again I’d DFHack to liquids-here, range, to bring all of those tiles to 7 depth.  That’s not really cheating because it’s going to happen anyway, is just a matter of time.  Or at least, that’s how I view it.  But it is a succession fortress so I won’t.  Unless there’s still some flow as I hand the save off, then I’ll fix it.     

11th Galena, Late Summer.
- some minor ambushes and a number of rattlesnakes, rattlesnake men and such to melee train the new recruits, nothing worth mentioning.  Equipping the squads continues.  There is a long-standing siege (two months, now) down in the caverns and that’s worrisome; even before the magma snafu, FPS had dropped again from near 50 to the 20’s and the surface fire then took it to 9 for awhile.  The fire’s out now (excepting the artifact, and while thinking about that the dwarves are flooring those previously-suspended surface tiles with iron; too expensive but the closest bars and we almost made it excepting that one diagonal across a workshop that let everything burn).  The troops aren’t ready to engage in the caverns just yet and I don’t want to risk any more of our veterans – those caverns are not fully explored and the screen isn’t showing exactly what’s down there (keeps changing, unknown number of goblins, at least a dozen).   

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 26, 2013, 05:11:25 pm »

15 Galena, Late Summer.

Human diplomat arrives.  Guests to follow, assuredly.   A day or so later the merchants are heading in with only minimal problems and with four wagons, that’s a good sign. (Minimal problems because those four wagons are guarded by a squad of riflemen, a reminder of why we’re so anxious to have those volcanic breastplates for their Evil Twins.  Talanic still sleeps in his coffin, the Lifemancer is just standing there, more than two weeks later.)

Volcano, the dwarf:
She’s pretty busted up and thirsty.  We have doctors and nurses but water is in short supply.  There’s a well/pond in the hospital but nobody seems to be filling it.  Hmm.  I keep double-checking to make sure it’s not a pit but nope, just unfilled.  Embarking next to a volcano sure has its advantages but I’m a fan of flowing water, myself.  Anyway, I can tell this was a mini-project of a previous Overseer as well because there’s a well on the surface too, in a dry hole. 

dryhole:

Those tiles are 2z deep but the problem, shown by the few 1z blue tiles, is that rain just doesn’t fill it up.  Doesn’t even wet thoroughly the bottom (and the well was not fireproof so only the chain and parts of it remain thanks to our Eternal Flame artifact).  Must be a fairly dry biome although we have bloated tuber seeds and muckroot spawn in the kitchen inventory.  So we’ve been working on bringing the one source of water a bit closer; in the SE, there’s a reasonable pond that now has a pump and piping to bring it down one level; there was already a large, cleared and empty area there which is now the new animal area.  1st Granite, all the animals were thirsty and that was a long haul with many buckets to keep ‘em healthy and we want to breed the war animals in any case so, the pump will bring the water a bit closer and the animals are moving from the Depot area down one level and closer to the water.  It’s closer to the Hospital also but I’m not sure it’s much comfort to Volcano; she’s unhappy, thirsty and missing her left thigh from a recent ambush.  I thought about using the Weather Machine to make it rain forty days and forty nights just to see if it would fill that pit but either I or the dwarves are not smart enough to operate it very well. 

18th Galena.
A Gnome diplomat arrives.  Six days, the humans are still unloading (?).  Two snatchers and another Leprachaun or two come with the Gnome.  We lost a baby that way last season but there are enough conscripts now to have at least minimal patrols across the top area.  Our best bard, Paper Coridorlash, Guilded, is playing a quickjig – won’t help the slow Humans but at least we’ll be loading faster.  The Tavernkeeper/bookie is a greedy sumbitch; for whatever reason, he’s insisting on gold to play dice.  Our extra Alchemists are cranking cobalt to silver as fast as they can but it still isn’t fast; I was hoping to have all these new copper coins converted to make mithril for new chainmail.  Doesn’t seem to be happening.  Steel production is back online with the blast furnaces, one is also alternating with regular smelters on the pig iron and coke. 

The ambush: only a half-dozen Orcs this time and they’re coming from the SE, maybe they won’t see the Gnomes on the other side of the hill.  And *this* time, I remembered to forbid the suicide charge of dwarves gathering up various articles and bodies.  One Orc fell quickly to a cage trap – good, one more for target practice.  SloppySeconds are placed on the rise just outside the gate.  Damn, I forgot about our activated swordgolem.  And Volcano just died of thirst. 

We have 15 bifrost bars now, dropped from Frost Giants (thankfully, only the thieving kind in the past six months) but we can’t use ‘em.  Road can’t access them from her magmaforge and while we have a blueprint for a Bifrost forge, it isn’t showing on any build menu.  It should be under Metalworks or … ?

Well, it’s in the raws but not in our fortress; I’m missing something.

The recruit's charge:
And he bounced off.  Ever seen a small dog picking a fight with a large dog?

Guardian:

ooh, I want more of these guys.  Our Guardian is busted up, hopping on one leg and still managed to kill the butt of an elite Orc.  Of course, once he was down our brave Recruit rushed in and began stabbing him furiously with his =steel pike=.  Joined by a craigsboar who also got some shots in.  Other Orcs rushing in, time to bring up those new reserves.

Trading:
- It doesn’t take much to make a Gnome ecstatically happy; a few dozen worn out cloaks, some copper swords and we have some clockwork parts and a happy, happy Gnome merchant.  They didn’t bring much else.  Those slow-to-unpack humans brought a lot of wood (Panopticon?  Did you ask for this?) which we’ll use up someday for coke.  There’s also a lot of silk and leather – good – and those other 3 wagons were mostly full of many sterling silver candelabras and braziers.  Well, whatever.  Man, I turn around for two seconds and our broker decides between Gnomes and Humans to go get drunk.  Change of broker.

Dynamite bolt to the groin.  I saw them in inventory, didn’t realize they’d already been parceled out.  Seems not to have gone off; I’ve made a few firecrackers like that myself.  Looking at inventory/stocks, I’m surprised any of us are still here after that surface fire.

Orcs have tails?

Four waves of ambush this time, 24 or so but as long as they come in small groups and from different directions, we’re OK.  It’s the 80+ sieges that worry me.  Still lost two recruits, completely unskilled, slow to learn.
The Elven diplomat has finally agreed to all the paperwork.  Seriously beaurocratic, this Elf.
Canyon Saviourbust has been a real disappointment.  One of those forges was given over to train her in armor as highest moodable skill past her novice engraver level and for six weeks, she’s been moping, drinking and whatnot – one more copper helm might do it.
FINALLY, our TavernKeeper/Broker stopped with the attitude and is changing copper coins for silver.  Or so he says: the menu opened up, tasked x10, waiting to see.  Still waiting four days later, it’s like there’s an “open for business” sign, but …

2nd Sandstone. 
Lots of stuff, still.  Millions of stuffs.

Overflow:
Ah, dammit, turned the pump on and forgot about it.  The surface pool is all but drained and we now have a 2z well, a bath house w/ soap and a linked floodgate to drain just in case of syndrome, whatever (that last part was really unnecessary).  The cave moss doesn’t seem to grow on the compact peat floors. 

Too clever by half:
6th Sandstone.  The volcano has refilled pretty much as expected.  But those tunnels … I really messed up tapping into them.  They filled to 6/7 within only a few days but it’s going to take – my estimate – another year and a half to fill completely.  Wow.  Has anyone ever had to calculate thermodynamics and fluid flow in a multi-valve system in an engineering class?  It’s not hard as much as very time-consuming and this system has 63 valves.  The hardcode is going through that each click to determine FPS.  If I’d had my head on straight, we’d have tapped into the sides and been finished in those first two weeks.  Now, it’s a serious pain to fix; deconstructing workshops above, building walls for support, magma-safe pumps (we made a lot of glass parts, just in case), then channeling down through the new walls.  Serious pain.  Since I’m handing this off in only another season, I’m going to DFHack (first time!) to put things right.  This isn’t really cheating because there’s no dwarf effort involved, no value, just a matter of time on something that’s scheduled to happen anyway.  V E R Y slowly.  It’s hard to quantify anything else on FPS because this is skewing everything.

7th Sandstone.

Our first Dragon Raptor chicks have hatched.  There had been three bad clutches, reminded me of a bad, bawdy chicken farmer joke but we’re now on the way to breeding good warbeasts.  Next day, more baby drakes although we really have enough of those.

Road Sand, our weaponsmith at level 13.82, is making a fair percentage of masterpieces.  I had other plans so she was diddling with iron shortswords for trade but she’s too good for that.  We don’t have mithril (no silver!) so volcanic is not an option.  Can’t seem to use the bifrost anywhere so she’s tasked with longswords from Orichalcum.  Nearly as good as volcanic and we have 46 bars.  Axes are the most dwarfy but longswords seem to do as good a job removing limbs and also have a pierce attack, and our uninvited guests have been coming with better armor.

Now you see them:
And now you don't:

200 or so wooden barrels.  We have plenty more and there’s another general stockpile on the far right side.  Actually, we have thousands more.

Rock Armorbal, our possessed carpenter has taken a woodshop and is muttering, “bars, blocks, stone, Tree of Life …”.  That last one; doesn’t seem to be a prayer for that.

Training begins:

12th Sandstone, mid-Autumn.
Three recruits with zero skills were reassigned to the squad Grimelings.  The three caged grimelings have been released.  The pit separating them is a brass bridge, retracted.  Wooden weapons, steel armor.  No shields.  Let the games begin!  A second training area is being dug to the immediate right because we have all these prisoners, gotta do something with them and our unskilled recruits seem to fall before gaining much experience. 

Boar down!

I forgot about pets.  Here I was thinking how wussy grimelings are and it punches out a feral pig!  And – it seems my recruits are the wussies; next training session will be in full armor, after some time in the infirmary for all those bites and scratches and missing teeth.

16th Sandstone
The invited Elves are back.  Let’s see what they brought.

Bannerheart 3, Grimelings 0.  Maybe 1/2.

Dwarves were bleeding all over the place.  I sent a “real” squad down to finish.  The bridge was dropped and they seemed content to stand there and watch – perhaps they found the wooden-armed recruits getting kicked around amusing.  They were stationed a bit closer and used their axes to end the first training session.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 27, 2013, 03:16:12 pm »

The Elves didn’t bring anything of value, only a few barrels of poison and a few instruments.  Lots of fiber cloth that we don’t need, root tiaras and such.  I picked up the instruments because when our bard was playing the quickjig, that affected the squad down below whacking the grimelings.  I’m certain it’s written down somewhere that the music effect is ’25 tiles, line of sight’ but that training room is five levels down.  Within 25 steps but still, good to know.

The Elves took a couple thousand bones, amulets and clothing cast-offs, then our broker messed up and insulted them.  It’s an easy thing to do; many of the many totems have some wood on ‘em, somewhere.  Oh, well.  The dwarves will be here next month anyway.

Eternal Flame:
The burning artifact and its craftsdwarf workshop are now enclosed in iron walls.  Each time I think it’s gone out, it re-kindles.  At least the smoke is confined and the surface is safe.  It’s being roofed over but unless one of the engineers comes up with a good idea, it will be Bannerheart’s Eternal Flame.  And most of those surface bone thingies are now gone, freeing up more storage space close to the Depot.

Rock, a carpenter, evidently found his Tree of Life and made – another barrel.  Three moods this year: our third legendary bone carver and two possessions.  How wonderful.

Sounds like a nice barrel, 96.3K

We are a fortress of haves and have-nots:

I’ve been moving some of our furniture stores to the rooms with only a bed.  The Embassy Suites effect is beginning to grow on me.  Clearly, it’s been good to be a friend of the Overseer in years past.   :)

Level 6 is good, the manual hints that higher skill in Diplomacy helps in some tasks.  And apparently I’m stinking up the joint – that’s our Guildhall beneath the miasma.

40 days:

The Weather Machine works, we needed a dwarf with Machine Operating Skill and hadn’t enabled that on very many.  Rain for 40 days and nights will fill the dryhole to a level of one – and remind the Overseer that one level down, it wasn’t fully enclosed so, a minor cavemoss flood.  But it also filled the new well pool next to the animals, good to know. 

The Elves had brought one male elephant for trade, cheap.  Our military is still weak so, Packy is now steel-clad.  That took a long time; our Guild Beastmaster, Bogus, takes his sweet time doing anything.  He now has a half-dozen enabled helpers but they all seem to be taking cues from him.  Party animals, not cladding animals.  Our best mechanic, Arrow, has made a dozen or so steel mechanisms; a stone mechanism will work to clad an animal in steel armor but, doesn’t seem right somehow.  Arrow is Guilded and now at level 5.13, isn’t making any masterful works yet.  And there was one male coral snake; can they be milked?

19th Timber, Late Autumn
Dwarves are here.   The goal this trip is to get rid of some of the thousands of cloaks in the fortress; equipping squads is slow and boring work because of scrolling down many pages of cloaks and shirts to see what mail is available from the armory.  “All hands on deck” brings 70 or so haulers moving lots of stuff to the Depot for easy trade.  After a couple of times and realizing nothing else is getting done, a dozen or so important workers now have all hauling labors disabled.

Spiders:

Since losing a fortress once to invaders mounted on spiders, I’ve used them as early warning systems: a scarecrow for lookout, a spider or two penned nearby.  Seems to work.  I miss the white widow spiders  – it’s been almost a year, no one has brought them or offered them.  White widows breed easily and make a swarm that slows down invaders without giving negative thoughts to dwarves like the recluse.  But the big ones also work and shoot lots of webs in this release, fun to watch.  We might start a silk farm; the surface worms only last a few weeks before being displaced by aggressive bees.  For now, that Stray Hunting Giant Drowspider took out the giant grasshopper all on his own.  If I was going to explore that third cavern, I’d want a squad of fully armored, skilled dwarves with clad warbeasts and a couple of Hunting Spiders along.  Webbers hadn’t been nerfed yet in this release and would make a superb front line guard against Forgotten Surprises.

1st Moonstone, early Winter.
Panopticon!  Why didn’t you tell anyone you’d ordered all the golems?!  3 sword, 3 spear and 3 hammer.  They’re not cheap –24K each – but money and stuff this fortress has plenty of.  Also brought many exotic metals but sadly, almost no mithril and it’s blocks, not bars or stone.  One block of pretty much everything, actually, inventoried against a future mood request.

Our Guilded cooks are getting better:

36K for one barrel of well-crafted bread hotpot.  Imagine what a masterful stone pot would be worth.  The cooks have now surpassed metalworkers for trade value.  Of course, we don’t really need anything else now but inactive golems could be scattered around and they’re 24K each.  Trading continues.  A few thousand cloaks, the merchant dwarves are slow to load.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 27, 2013, 03:35:46 pm »

“Um, Sir?” 

Jimboo looked up from his scribbling and his scrolls to see his shy secretary at the doorway.  What was her name?  Jimboo had never learned it.  One more item on the list of Things To Do, and there were many things more important.  It was such a long list!  “Not now.  I’m busy, too busy for fortress gossip.”  Jimboo had learned early the value of hearing the scuttlebutt around Bannerheart and his assistant had been tasked with eavesdropping when she had nothing else to do.  Particularly around the barrels of drink jimboo had strategically placed around the workshops and stairways; dwarves loved their booze and a drunken dwarf often said things better kept to himself.  And since all dwarves were drunk almost all of the time, it kept her busy.  She turned to go.  “Wait.  I’m tired, that’s all.  What is the Great News this time?”  “It’s the Alchemists, Sir.  They’re getting … well, haughty.  They’re bossing the apprentices around something fierce and making demands on all the others as well.”  “Dammit --” what was her name? --  “ the Alchemists are important right now.  We are zero inventory on key materials, like silver, and without them we cannot properly equip the troops.” Additional Alchemists Chambers had been dug from the rock and those workshops did not come cheap.  Jimboo went back to his scrolls, dismissing her with a wave of his hand.   “But that’s just it, Sir.  We do have silver – lots of it – and the metalsmiths are complaining that they should be smelting ore and not dismantling candelabras for scrap to melt.”  Jimboo’s head came up sharply.  She – whoever she was – had never spoken up before after a cursory dismissal.  “What did you just say?”  Jimboo had spoken softly.  It wasn’t particularly intentional but he saw the effect it had on her and was reminded of the soft-spoken Meph.  Meph didn’t speak much.  He didn’t have to.  “Not far from here, Sir, there are exposed veins of silver and hematite that haven’t been mined.”  “Show me.  Show me now.”  Jimboo followed the dwarf to the large side staircase, the one that led to the caverns.  Jimboo was walking quickly, glad that the walkways had been widened.  They still weren’t really wide enough but at least now one could get around without crawling over the back of a labor dwarf struggling under the weight of a large stone.  Most dwarves saw them hurriedly approaching and stepped aside, something that would not have been possible the previous year.  Now and again they came across a recruit or veteran returning from patrol and it was faster to just walk around than wait for them to move.  Jimboo was never sure if that was deliberate or just because of the armor.  Grand-sounding names, they had chosen for themselves: “The Legion,” “First Defenders” and the like.  Stumbling Bumblers was more like it, jimboo thought.  Damn it!  NINE MONTHS he had been working on that blasted map!  He had walked past exposed ore without seeing it?  How many times?  They came down 11 levels.  “Here, Sir,” she said, pointing at the wall.  Where?  He still didn't see until she placed his finger against the stone.  Armok be praised, it was silver.  Smoothed and polished until it looked exactly like the smoothed and polished gneiss on either side.  It was no wonder he’d missed it.  And there was another, and another still.  Jimboo sighed and let out a deep breath.  “Thank you, this is more important than you know.  Send the head of the Mason’s Guild to my rooms immediately.  Oh, and tell that Alchemist, Devil, to come too.  Have her wait in the foyer until I tell you to bring her in.”  Devil was the lead Alchemist and it always made jimboo’s teeth ache to listen to her excuses of why the transmutation (the very, very expensive transmutation) was proceeding so slowly and never according to schedule.

Jimboo allowed himself a smile.  He was looking forward to that conversation.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #264 on: August 28, 2013, 02:59:42 am »

Orcs do have tails. :)

Dynamite bolts only go off when they are "stuck in".

And Bifrost is used in the normal forge. At least I hope it is, I know there was a bug with that, but I dont remember in which version. After reading everything it seems you have the bugged version. It can actually be fixed in a running save, if you like.

And nice to see this fort going on :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 28, 2013, 10:46:42 am »

I thought I’d killed our baron, Panopticon.   :)

Whoa, that’s a lot of silver.  Was taking forever to micromange two tiles at a time so, digv.
Then,

Say what?

He was just gone.  Not listed on any screen.  Pretty purple dot icon showing all his clothes and pick.  Along with his brain.  And then,

He’s back.  Stared down a metalwraith, and now he’s upset that somebody else has a better-than-his-Grand Mausoleum tomb?  Wow.  We don’t have anything better than that.  Or close to it.  Perhaps he gazed into … something unknown?   He’s walking around happy enough now, without his brain.  I think I’ll ask our Bard to write a song about that.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 28, 2013, 11:58:07 am »

On the "What's happening in your fort" thread there was one dwarf who had a preference for dwarf staring at the shifting ore bone. LOLOLOLOL
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 28, 2013, 07:45:26 pm »

What happened to the Silver Wraith?
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 28, 2013, 10:25:50 pm »

What happened to the Silver Wraith?

Well, it's nice to see others are reading.  I'd wondered if the hits were me and Meph.   :)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 28, 2013, 10:38:15 pm »

The dwarves came with four wagons and we filled them.  Thousands of bone bolts, javelins, amulets, rings, crowns, scepters and leather cloaks.  That’s what happens when legendary bone carvers and leather workers are given large amounts of raw materials and workshops on Repeat.  But we’ve made a dent in the inventory and the dwarves even carried away most of the ash remaining on the surface.  Wasn’t that nice of them?

We’re having a Giant Drowspiderlingsplosion.  Bogus and his phony crew have yet to train a momma and so a dozen spiderlings are marked for slaughter.  I don’t like Bogus.

Ah, shoot.  Another one.  These metalwraiths are a serious pain.

Spiders, again.  OK, I’m having misgivings about that previous comment “would make superb first line defense in the 3rd cavern.”  That Giant Drowspider playing on the surface with the Giant Grasshopper?  He’s just playing.  Like a cat with a mouse, playing.  I watched all the pretty webs for two months and decided to send in a squad and – web version of friendly fire.  They can’t get to the grasshopper without getting stuck themselves.

Metalwraiths are a real pain.  A dwarf with a decent battle pick is supposed to take care of himself, right?  The wraiths skipped around, up several levels to the surface and have been wrecking the joint ever since.  Unicorns, drakes and the incredibly bad shots of our Legion are dealing with ‘em – as soon as they get past the webs, that is.

Fissure Gripink has a mood?  A child has a mood as craftsdwarf?  That’s not fair; a lot of time and effort has gone into skewing the lottery towards metalsmiths.  Ain’t nothing you can do for children.  This was not a good year for the Bannerheart mood lottery: another legendary bone carver, two possessions and now this kid.

A new sound:

This laptop is hooked to H/K Soundstiks.  They sound OK, have to play with the subwoofer sometimes but Soundsense has some pretty good percussion backgrounds that never came across before along with good thunder.  Today, I heard a new sound.  New info for Mountainhome?  Bogus be finally getting his act together.

Man, this year has just been so not lucky for the mood lottery.  A level ten woodcrafter now.  Of course it’s blacked out on Therapist, she’s only two years old.  Then again, our Baron Panopticon is all of ten.  He’s still wandering around happy, mining labor now disabled, his brain still lying on the floor of the silver vein. 

1st Obsidian, late Winter.
The invited Elves are back, we’ll see how ticked off they are about that last trade snafu.  The dwarves are still loading all their stuff, yet to meet with our Mayor.  There have been some “buggy” things this past year but for whatever reason, only two civs have offered a Wish List; the Embassy hasn’t been as helpful as I’d hoped.  Still, every wagon carries off a lot of stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20