Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20

Author Topic: The Banners of Heart: ☼Masterwork the Fortress☼  (Read 33337 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: The Banners of Heart: ☼Masterwork the Fortress☼
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2013, 09:47:48 am »

I barely ever go above 60 residents. Hell, I usually cap it at 40.

ajr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2013, 11:42:25 am »

It's nice to have only 60 dwarves, but do admit, that in military drafts it's easier to get more suitable material for the grinder when there are more dwarves around. And if one happens to die, there are plenty of dwarves that didn't know him.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2013, 01:04:59 pm »

alright I've downloaded the file. I'll take my turn tommorrow evening, I'm wrecked. Talk to you all in 12 hours

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 27, 2013, 03:11:09 pm »

On my seven years old laptop, the game runs at 45 (29) direct from ajr’s save. 
Intel Duo CPU, P7450 at 2.13Ghz, 4GB total memory, Win7 configured for an 8GB virtual memory.  45 runs OK on my machine; anything below 20 and Soundsense begins to clip.  Running this game solo takes very little of the CPU but 3.3 GB of virtual memory. 

Gamelord, that might be part of it; I had to reconfigure the memory pages to a larger size when switching over to this laptop.  My desktop never needed it but had a graphics card this one lacks.  You play with 60 dorfs, total?  Wow.   

There aren’t really all that many animals; I count 180 not including the rattlesnakes which really should be butchered (and they do taste like chicken, no kidding).  There’s one meat in this fortress of 149 dwarves?  Masterwork the Vegetarian Fortress?  Really?

But I’m alive!  Ajr tells me that he scum-saved me.  I’m not sure quite what that is but it sounds epic.  Epithaph-ic.  Whichever.  Therapist confirms, jimboo the Brewer is back!   

One meat, one plant – wait, the single meat disappeared on the first click – but several metric tons of prepared meals and this place is swimming in booze.  You’re welcome.   

Ajr handed off the save with Drow traders at the Depot?  How cool is that!  Wait, it’s 1st Granite/Early Spring 48 – were they late or had you finished the trading?  The last posting was from three weeks ago, game time.  There’s not much in the Depot and the broker seems to off playing in the kitchen …  did you buy some but not all of the sauropods?  This version of MW was released before Meph “fixed” ‘em, right?  So they start off Year One as Dino from The Flintstones and in Year Five they’ve grown into the snot-blowers from Jurassic Park, yes?  Admittedly, I’ve never used them.  It was an interesting intellectual exercise to try and determine the Newtons of force from being stomped by a fully grown sauropod compared to say, a Colossus Elephant but match ‘em against each other in the Arena = no contest.  And by Year Five, the armor must have stretched to the ferric equivalent of gold leaf so, I never used them.  Hold on; the Broker is still “Chaosgear, The Laziest Broker Ever”?  Somehow, my new epitaph doesn’t seem so bad. 

I hadn’t really been following too closely since I, you know, died.  There’s a lot to wrap around in this save.  Ajr, that certainly be one impressive hole now through the center of the fortress above the noted future Colosseum.  You were planning maybe on nine levels of training ranged dwarves above? 

There are only a hundred or so mechanisms in stock.  FPS is somewhat low likely from breaching the cavern (not much to do about that), a bit of aqua flow on level 85 but mostly from 149 traipsing dwarves and several thousand bits of “stuff” stockpiled around.  Getting rid of stuff on the surface has always been a pain; I typically send a squad out when it’s safe to oversee the construction of Dwarven Smashing Bridges.  There are a few thousand bolts and bones and such laying about that could be cleaned.  Still, FPS 45 on an old laptop after a cavern, 149 dwarves and 180+ animals ain’t bad.     
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:11:15 pm by jimboo »
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2013, 08:57:31 pm »

Well, if FPS is such an issue:

dfhack clean all.
dfhack to stop liquid flow on the magma.
Butcher ~100 or so of the creatures.
Wall of the caverns to stop pathfinding to them.
Build a bonfire under the shaft down from the surface, light a big fire.
Then dump all items on the surface onto it, down the shaft. Everything fireproof (metals) will survive and we can use it later. Fire takes 9 months to go out.
Turn weather off.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 03, 2013, 12:55:48 pm »

The save must be cursed or something, people download it then are never heard from again.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #156 on: July 03, 2013, 11:47:18 pm »

Yes, apparently so. 5 days ago godlysockpuppet wrote this:
Sorry about the delay. I've started my go and will be finishing it later today with luck

And before ILBane said he almost finished his turn... and then gamerlord was like: Yeah, I do it on the weekend, then suddenly had no time.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 04, 2013, 04:38:22 am »

Sorry about the delay. I've started my go and will be finishing it later today with luck

And before ILBane said he almost finished his turn... and then gamerlord was like: Yeah, I do it on the weekend, then suddenly had no time.
Actually, I have the time, it's just that the fortress in it's current state almost drove me to madness before the middle of Spring.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 04, 2013, 03:36:59 pm »

Actually, I have the time, it's just that the fortress in it's current state almost drove me to madness before the middle of Spring.
Y'know how you're free, and then out of the blue you're handed a project that counts as 35% of your final results? So erm yeah... Something's come up. Sorry, skip me. I'll be free week after next

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 04, 2013, 09:08:27 pm »

Well, my turn to download the cursed save, then.  I plan to play it for a few minutes today, then finish up over the weekend.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 04, 2013, 11:10:42 pm »

1st Granite

Looks like the best armorsmith is taken, and the best weaponsmith is... not a weaponsmith?  Wait, low attributes.  I'll leave him alone.

Guess I'll take the best military dwarf.  Hmm... Room Artificebastion looks pretty good.  He is now 'Brilliand' Artificebastion, and the new overseer.

We have some caged Wards of Armok.  I'm stationing them near the main entrance, mainly to check migrants.

Declaring war training for everything that can be war trained and taming for everything that's not tame... can't hurt.  Some of them are still in cages, but whatever.

Declaring the slaughter of a bunch of goats, and a couple of horses.

Moving all of the sprites, changelings and toolkits out of cages.  No need to take up cages with immobile creatures.

Need to rearm some cage traps.  I'll send some military over to guard them while the mechanics work, they were probably forbidden for a reason.

Switching all the slagpits to make 2 concrete instead of simply wasting slag.  I'm sure we can think of something to build.

4th Granite

Noticed a lot of dwarven corpes, so I'm going to make a Lifemancer.  The existing corpses will just get graves, but any future ones might get better.  And who better to become a healer than our chief medical dwarf?

5th Granite

The boozebelly goats are fighting among themselves.  I'm glad I'm thinning the pack.

I see a big pile of wood outside, but we don't have a timberyard.  Guess I'll be building one.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 04, 2013, 11:38:45 pm »

Had some orc ambushes.  The military killed them fine, but two dwarves dodged into the lava (neither of them named, but one i nthe military - Midnight Tunnelgold).  I think I'll build a wall around the volcano.

14th Granite

Was in the process of making pearlash for clear glass, but too late.  Navatar has gone berserk.  He's a military dwarf, so I'm calling out the entire military to deal with him.

15th Granite

`Navatar' Massiveconstruct Honorrampage Yell, Boss has bled to death.

During his rampage, he killed one non-military dwarf (Net Rapscourge, a relatively unimportant laborer), and then was killed by a group of 3 axedwarves.  A marksdwarf also got some shots off, but none of them hit.

Navatar's name passes on to the dwarf that killed him.  Bolt Lieharmony is now 'Navatar' Lieharmony.

I will also produce some raw clear glass in his honor.

EDIT: Actually, I have a lifemancer now, so I might raise Navatar.  If so, I'll take the nickname back off Bolt.  I'll decide this another day, I'm done for now.  However, another dwarf (Deceiver Wheatearth, who was beheaded by an orc earlier) has been raised already.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:00:43 am by Brilliand »

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 06, 2013, 01:07:34 am »

21st Granite

Just found my own corpse:

Very strange.  I'm just fine.

(Metalwraith, maybe?)

6th Slate

That's the last of the ghosts.  Still might be some un-slabbed dwarves on their way to becoming ghosts, I'll check once all the available corpses are buried.

9th Slate

Navatar had gotten a coffin, so I stationed the lifemancer next to his coffin and brought him back anyway.  Took the nickname back off of Bolt.

However, it appears that Navatar is no longer eligible for his old position, for some reason.  I gave him the next position in "The Posts of Lashing" instead.  The "Captain of the Guard" position will remain empty for the time being.

6th Felsite

A child has been possessed!

He claims a Craftsdwarf's Workshop and starts gathering materials.

14th Felsite

Deep Drow ambush.

That furnace operator gets cut to pieces fast.  The military's on its way.

An elven caravan arrived:

They're on the same side of the map as the drow, though not the exact same spot.  They'll probably meet.

15th Felsite

Nope, military got there first... or at least, Brilliand got there first.

Meanwhile, Chamber Sacktouch begins his magnum opus... at the age of 4.

16th Felsite

Three more military dwarves arrive.  The drow are quickly routed.

20th Felsite

22nd Felsite

Bought some wood, cloth and animals from the elves with a couple of lavish meals.

23rd Felsite

That's the guy that was killed by the drow on the 14th.

24th Felsite

Warlock ambush.  I'd show you a screenshot, but it's just a white square.  There's some more warlocks down the hill a bit, but whatever.

They're between the lifemancer and the entrance, but they're a lot closer to the entrance than they are to the lifemancer.

...However, another warlock ambush appears right next to the lifemancer.

The lifemancer manages to flee, but not in the direction of the fortress.  The warlocks' necromancer is killed by undead, and the remaining warlocks manage to kill all the undead.  We can't count on that to stop the warlocks.

I'm calling out the military.

25th Felsite

Never mind, they killed the first axedwarf to show up far too fast.  I'm calling in everyone.

The lifemancer's trailing blood.  He's managed to run pretty far away from the warlocks, so he might survive, but I don't like his chances.

Looks like there's still a necromancer somewhere - he isn't on the units list, but undead are still rising.

...Yep, Lifemancer's dead.  Time to start making another.

27th Felsite

Ah... our new lifemancer...

Wait, what?

3rd Hematite

Apparently Lifemancers are kind of hard to resurrect.  I might not be able to get back the dwarves I lost in this battle.  (The other one was raised as an undead, which IIRC removes his soul, which can't be put back... haven't actually tried yet, though.)

A few warlocks are still hanging out far from the fortress.  I plan to gather all of the ranged military to attack together.

Navatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 06, 2013, 10:22:37 am »

I live.... again!

Job well done. I can forgive you for letting me die now.

Looks like karma killed you Brilliand... wonder what happened to you?

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 06, 2013, 11:40:22 am »

Nifty, but just a note.  Immobile critters outside of cages DO cause lag.  If you'd like to test that, embark with a large number of sprites, then cage them; if it's enough (a hundred does it on my system) you'll see a significant effect.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20