Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4122780 times)

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
Re: PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack, 40.24-r20
« Reply #3075 on: December 26, 2015, 07:16:13 pm »

OF COURSE the SECOND you release this, Toady releases 42.04

Sometimes I think he waits for you to update the pack and then releases his updates that he's been holding back...

;)
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

coleslaw35

• Bay Watcher
  • A disgusting pile of slop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: December 26, 2015, 08:26:51 pm »

OF COURSE the SECOND you release this, Toady releases 42.04

Sometimes I think he waits for you to update the pack and then releases his updates that he's been holding back...

;)

I think I remember them saying that once they're caught up with the major release, it's easier to make changes or add stuff to their pack when the smaller, mostly bug fix updates are released. My memory is pretty bad though, so don't take my word for it! :P

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #3077 on: December 26, 2015, 09:00:58 pm »

It is easier, but it often requires an update to the memory layouts for DFHack and DT, though, so it does have a bit of lag time :)

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: December 26, 2015, 11:37:27 pm »

42.04 is here, and with it: giant elephants. Prepare for Boatmurdered 2: Boat Harder.

Musaab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: December 27, 2015, 03:07:07 am »

Dwarves dying in trees still isn't fixed. :(

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: December 27, 2015, 05:47:35 am »

ptf for stuffs.

Oh, suggestion. I play df on some ropey hardware, and as such use the accelerated module from the modest mod (which removes a lot of bloat and speeds up the game for me a lot). Is an accelerated package something that would be considered worth including in the LNP?
This is a blank sig.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: December 27, 2015, 09:05:33 am »

ptf for stuffs.

Oh, suggestion. I play df on some ropey hardware, and as such use the accelerated module from the modest mod (which removes a lot of bloat and speeds up the game for me a lot). Is an accelerated package something that would be considered worth including in the LNP?

^ This.  I don't know how feasible it would be to include this, but I am DYING for a similar tweak to help my framerate as well.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: December 27, 2015, 10:01:11 am »

ptf for stuffs.

^ This.  I don't know how feasible it would be to include this, but I am DYING for a similar tweak to help my framerate as well.

Well, you could do what I do, which is simply unzip the modest mod on top of the LNP DF filestucture, then unzip the modest mod accelerated module as per the mods own instructions. Sure, it is not as easy as clicking a few buttons in the launcher, but it is by no means complex, and has worked nigh on perfectly for me.
This is a blank sig.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: December 27, 2015, 10:59:43 am »

ptf for stuffs.

Well, you could do what I do, which is simply unzip the modest mod on top of the LNP DF filestucture, then unzip the modest mod accelerated module as per the mods own instructions. Sure, it is not as easy as clicking a few buttons in the launcher, but it is by no means complex, and has worked nigh on perfectly for me.
Well, that is the plan.
You can extract the Accelerated/Modest raws into LNP/Mods/Accelerated/raw and use the mod tab in the launcher to install it. We don't advertise it yet, because it doesn't play nicely/fails to install when using graphics sets that contain lots of raw edit (think Phoebus, Spacefox), only with tilesets.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 11:02:11 am by fricy »

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: December 27, 2015, 06:35:43 pm »

Will the introduction of new giant and people versions of animals slow down the release of dfhack, do you think? Also, it occurs to me, do animal people show up as visitors to forts? I've only seen human, dwarf, elf, and goblin visitors so far.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #3085 on: December 27, 2015, 06:51:02 pm »

Will the introduction of new giant and people versions of animals slow down the release of dfhack, do you think? Also, it occurs to me, do animal people show up as visitors to forts? I've only seen human, dwarf, elf, and goblin visitors so far.

If an animal person joins another civ it can then visit, as a member of that civ. They don't show up as visitors without a civ affiliation first.

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: December 27, 2015, 07:00:38 pm »

I know the other major races can become part of another civilization through conquest of various sites, but how do animal people join a civilization in worldgen, since as far as I know they don't form cities?

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #3087 on: December 27, 2015, 08:18:55 pm »

I know the other major races can become part of another civilization through conquest of various sites, but how do animal people join a civilization in worldgen, since as far as I know they don't form cities?

If the civ is near the animal person's home turf, they can sometimes decide to voluntarily join the civ. It doesn't happen with animal people near your fort during fort mode, but it can happen anywhere during world gen and in the background during play, and then those animal men (or their descendents) can come as visitors representing the host civ.

They don't need to be conquered, they can just assimilate, just like visitors do to your fort; it's just a limitation on dwarf mode that the visitors have to come from a civ.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: December 28, 2015, 02:15:12 pm »

ptf for stuffs.

Well, that is the plan.
You can extract the Accelerated/Modest raws into LNP/Mods/Accelerated/raw and use the mod tab in the launcher to install it. We don't advertise it yet, because it doesn't play nicely/fails to install when using graphics sets that contain lots of raw edit (think Phoebus, Spacefox), only with tilesets.

Interesting.....does this work in the current version of both mods?  I don't mind doing that little bit of extra work if it runs.  What graphic mods play best with it, if any?  Or am I limited to default ASCII?
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: December 28, 2015, 02:22:33 pm »

ptf for stuffs.

Well, that is the plan.

Interesting.....does this work in the current version of both mods?  I don't mind doing that little bit of extra work if it runs.  What graphic mods play best with it, if any?  Or am I limited to default ASCII?

I achieved a similar result with a manual merge in one of PE's 40.24 pack, without using the PyLNP Mod feature.

I manually merged  Modest Mod + Accelerated with Spacefox, which is one of the tilesets that won't be supported by the PyLNP auto-merge as yet because it has more advanced raws (as fricy mentioned earlier.)

It's not at all hard to do the merge manually, and the only downside is that from that point you need to stop using PyLNP's auto tileset switching feature, because you need to manually merge the files in to your DF data directory and if you subsequently use PyLNP to switch graphics again, it will at the least overwrite your changes, and likely end up with an unusable mish-mash of raws.  If you're already decided on one tileset you always prefer to use, this is no problem at all as you wont switch tilesets again anyway.  If not, you could do your merge in a separate install of PyLNP so you can still look at other tilesets in your original install.

This post, and the two following it, describe in detail what I did including some advice on the subject from Button: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148265.msg6592278#msg6592278  In my first post I describe what I think I need to do, then Button gives me a few tips, and then I summarise what I'm going to do - which is basically the same as I first described, except Button suggested I only update my DF directory, and not attempt to update PyLNP's master raws as well. 

There's a few steps to it but it's really not that complicated.

Note I did on 40.24 with Button's Modest Mod + Accelerated for 40.24.  I don't think Button had yet updated Modest Mod for 42.x, so if not you'd need to limit yourself to 40.24 until he has.  But once he does, the same procedure will work fine for 42.x as  well, using the latest 42.x packs.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 02:29:08 pm by TheBloke »
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 385