Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 403758 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game
« Reply #135 on: June 01, 2013, 01:38:31 am »

Ah, so you are aware? Good. Good. This will help; the realm we are from needs a bit of a shakeup anyhow. The one above me is right, though. If you manipulate events good enough, you just may be able to ... well, do as you would in a Bethesda RPG: do whatever you want!
The only price we ask for our assistance is to be able to watch and suggest.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 01, 2013, 03:24:25 am »

What do they say?
Well... that's interesting. It seems the lot of us were operating under limited information. We've not been told how we're interacting with you, or divined precisely what mechanisms it's occurring through. There's a lot missing from the picture. If you are willing, please thank the good sir Vivec for us, for shining some light on the situation.

I can't speak for the rest of them, but... apologies. Had I known this communication was a bit more direct, so to speak, my input would have been quite different, hm.

To avoid the temptation or inanity route that those preceding me have traveled down... as I said, I cannot speak for the rest of them, but if you wish me, at least, gone, I will go. Agency is important, and if you are unwilling to maintain communication then I am beholden by custom to accept that.

If you do wish to maintain communication, then we, as the outsiders, should accept the boundaries you set. What would you wish of us? We seem to be able to provide council, and information of already notable dubiousness. If asked, we would provide... if admittedly more from the motivation of self-amusement than anything else. Certainly there is no need to broker deals. You owe us nothing, we have no price that can be rendered by one in your situation -- whatever that situation may be, hrm -- and quite frankly, our advice is of quite dubious quality. What else, if anything, we are capable of is unknown at this point.

As they say... what'll be, guv'? Should we stay or should we go? C'mon... let us know.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #137 on: June 01, 2013, 03:32:18 am »

This was already going wa-a-ay over my head. Now its going wa-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ay over my head.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2013, 03:33:25 am »

This was already going wa-a-ay over my head. Now its going wa-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ay over my head.

Double post. Damn you 504!! *shakes fist*

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 01, 2013, 05:06:41 am »

Yeah, this has gone in a totally different direction than I expected. Given the lore, when you guys went straight to Vivec and starting dealing in truth, there wasn't much I could do other than respond with truth. At some point there's a fuzzy gray area between trying to portray a character accurately, and that character successfully expressing himself through a medium that's trying to not color or filter what passes through it. You wanted Vivec, you got Vivec. I'm pleased with the result, though. This is much more deep than I expected. I'm curious to see where it goes from here.

Anyway, next update in in process and should be up within the next hour or so.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #140 on: June 01, 2013, 05:15:03 am »

"My name is Shadenight123, worry not for some of the suggestions going around...it could be worse. We'll help you get through this pony-shirt guy! We of bay12 are here to help you!"
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 01, 2013, 06:06:24 am »

"Hello. Do what we say and you may survive."

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 01, 2013, 06:30:18 am »

Episode 12: Conversations with Vivec, Sermon 3

: "What do they say?"

BOOOOOOOBS!
why be upset, sure you don't really exist in the place you thought you did but

if you are not having fun then it's less fun for us, and the less fun for us the
less likely you will continue to exist.
Ah, so you are aware? Good.
If you manipulate events good enough, you just may be able to
do whatever you want!
The only price we ask for our assistance is to be able to watch and suggest.

It seems the lot of us were operating under limited information.
please thank the good sir Vivec for us, for shining some light on the situation.
... apologies.
Agency is important, and if you are unwilling to maintain communication then I am beholden by custom to accept that.

You owe us nothing

our advice is of quite dubious quality. What else, if anything, we are capable of is unknown at this point.
What would you wish of us? We seem to be able to provide council, and information of already notable dubiousness.

what'll be, guv'? Should we stay or should we go? C'mon... let us know.
We'll help you get through this

The human stares off at nowhere in particular as if thinking, or listening. The expression on his face goes instantly to one of bewilderment, then slowly changes to a frown, then a look of horror...which then slowly calms, and gradually becomes a smile.

Vivec merely watches.

: "Thank you. I...don't know. I've lived with you for, well...I guess all my life. I suppose. You're right that this brings up all sorts of questions about free agency, but you guys haven't steered me wrong yet. You brought me straight to Vivec. I don't think that would have occurred to me on my own. Actually, I'm not entirely sure what 'I' am apart from you and your input. I don't think you're controlling me, exactly. I feel like I have free agency. I mean, I'm not eager to test it...but I really feel like if you tried to get me to do something that I really didn't want to do, I think I could choose to not do it. I think. But I'm not sure how much of the me wanting to do or not do it in the first place comes from your input."

: "CHIM"

: "What?"

: "I'm apologize for interupting. Please continue."

: "So anyway, yeah. I'd like to see where this goes. Please don't get me killed or anything. Dying sounds painful."

: "Oh, and Vivec: they said a bunch of stuff, but generally they seemed pleased that I know what's going on, and asked if it's ok with me if we continue and that they won't force me if I don't want to. And they said to thank you for helping shed light on the situation. Apparently they were operating with incomplete information too."

: "If they became enlightened when you did, you are both welcome. I also, offer my thanks for the warning about Baar Dau. As for you, you are fortunate. Few who see their higher selves are able to handle it with such grace, and not all higher selves are so polite or well-intentioned."

: "Also they say boobs."

: "Boobs are nice, yes."

: "So, what happens now?"

There's a moment of silence.

: "Who are you asking?"

: "Well I guess I was asking me, but since you ask, I'm curious: do you have voices in your head too?"

Vivec is silent as he appears to contemplates how to respond.

: "For me, it is more complicated than simply yes or no. Examining myself, I don't appear to be a completely singular entity. From my point of view, 'I' and possibly this entire universe have only existed for less than a day. However, 'I' also share awareness with...it is difficult to assign a number. If you have two guar in the room, it is easy to look at one guar and count 'one' and the other guar and count 'two' and say that there are two guar. But, consider the creature on your shirt. What if you're counting colors? There is a smooth transition between one color and the next. If two people look at a rainbow and count colors, they might each arrive at different answers. My awareness of other worlds, other universes besides this one is much like that. From my point of view, it's difficult to even call them 'other' universes, as I have only my awareness and there is little clear delineation between them."

: "Is there an instance of you in each of those universes?"

: "In one form or another, there must be, if I am to be aware of them. But were you to look at some of them, you might not recognize them as me."

Vivec pauses for a moment, then brings his feet down from his hovering position to stand on the ground. Then he a conjures a daedric longsword, places it on the ground and sits besides it."

: "What do you see?"

: "A sword?"

: "How many swords?"

: "Just one?"

Vivec pauses for moment.

: "How many swords do you see now?"

: "Still just one."

: "Is the sword you see now the same sword you saw a moment ago?"

: "Isn't it?"

Vivec extends a single finger, then pushes the sword half a foot away from him.

: "How many swords do you see now?"

: "Still only one."

: "Did the sword you saw here a moment ago, 'talk' to the sword you see here now?"

: "No?"

: "And yet even though I am not pushing the sword you see now, its position in space has been influenced by what was experienced by the sword you saw earlier. Communication of some sort, clearly must have occurred."

: "Well, ok, I guess. In a way, kind of. For certain values of 'talk.'"

: "Then yes, in a way, kind of, for certain values of 'talk,' I talk with the other instances of me in other universes. But from my point of view it is more like mutually shared awareness. The sword you saw later probably did not feel 'pushed' by the sword you saw before."

Vivec dismisses the longsword and resumes his sitting position a few feet off the ground.

: "Does that mean there are thousands or millions of Vivec's out there? Can you pool your power and make awesome things happen? Is that how you do divine magic?"

: "I thought you saw only one sword?"

: "...huh. Ok, change of topic. I'm going to go out there and I don't really want to get killed. Can you make me super powerful or anything?"

At this, Vivec frowns for a moment and looks at the ground briefly before answering.

: "No."

: "Is this a 'no' like the no earlier when I was asking for help and you meant 'no' something else completely?

: "I am unable to."

: "Why?"

: "I have lost my connection with the Heart of Lorkhan. Or rather, this particular instance of me is not connected. The body you see before you has only existed for less than a day. In other realities I am able to perceive, I was once connected, then lost connection. In this realty, I never was. Either way, the end result is the same."

: "So you're mortal?"

: "For all practical purposes yes."

: "What about the Ministry of Truth?"

: "I'm not holding it up. From my point of view, it's been hovering a couple hundred feet from the ground for the entire history of the universe."

: "So then it won't fall? Even if you die or disappear, Vvardenfell is safe?"

: "The future is not something I am able to perceive."

: "Oh. So what are you going to do?"

: "The same thing that those 'thousands or millions' of me you mentioned earlier are all doing right now: attempting to make life better for my people."

: "What about me? What should I do?"

: "You are, at least as much as any of us, a free agent. You said earlier that you had 'helped this world when it was a game, and wanted to help it now that it's real.' I ask that you do what you can to do just that."

: "Heh, that's right. I did say that. Out of curiosity, what if I was just another crazy PC out to slaughter everybody and steal stuff?"

: "We would not be having this conversation, because you would be dead."

: "Oh. Right."

Now what?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 01, 2013, 06:46:12 am »

I think Vivec just pretty much confirmed to us we're in a videogame. Either that or this version of Morrowind has severely screwy metaphysics... More so then the original.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 01, 2013, 06:51:23 am »

"Also they say boobs."

"Boobs are nice, yes."
:D

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #145 on: June 01, 2013, 10:46:37 am »

I think Vivec just pretty much confirmed to us we're in a videogame. Either that or this version of Morrowind has severely screwy metaphysics... More so then the original.
He's inside our game, inside a videogame.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 01, 2013, 12:08:46 pm »

Also, it turns out that our reality is also a videogame.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 01, 2013, 04:29:24 pm »

There is only one thing to do: take the agnostic route - Metaphysics do not matter, we would better spend our energy acting on terms we understand.

Ask him if we should apprehend or at least follow the suspected PC.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 01, 2013, 07:36:17 pm »

Also, it turns out that our reality is also a videogame.
And that means that the reality above us is probably a videogame as well. Never ending story, here we come!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:20:18 am by joemoben »
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 01, 2013, 07:41:35 pm »

Or next we could ask Caius what he knows about the Mythic Dawn.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 161