Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 413193 times)

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game
« Reply #495 on: June 24, 2013, 01:54:56 pm »

Or we could wait for two weeks. It's really not that long.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 24, 2013, 01:56:06 pm »

Seriously folks, quote and back my course of action. It is the best way. We must abuse our knowledge, make others work for US, and make some goddamn progress - even if it means taking risks, because we're getting nowhere with this bullcrap!

Supercharazard - it's long enough that the PC will potentially beat the game, and at the very least there will be very little left for us, and there is way too much we don't know and don't understand, and we've just gotten express instructions form the GM that wasting time is NOT something we want to do.

So yes, it really is "that long".

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 24, 2013, 02:14:47 pm »

We could potentially try a "legal" way. Go to the commander, and tell them that we have had a vision that could determine the fate of Morrowind, and affect the entire Empire. In the interest of the aforementioned Empire, we must depart immediately. Our contract is still binding though, and we shall resume duty as soon as able. (or never)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 24, 2013, 02:48:47 pm »

I /guess/ we could try that first - but we've already wasted time and money. Still, I suppose it couldn't hurt. And if we pass ourselves off as having visions, that might suffice to answer any questions people have about where we are getting our knowledge, so it's something to keep in mind regardless.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 24, 2013, 03:23:16 pm »

We can't abuse knowledge that we don't understand. Have you played many tabletop games? If so, you know how GM's work. You won't find out how things are working. And if you do, you're going to get unpleasant side-effects, not to mention trying to outwit the GM never works out for the better. Learning bits at a time through the GM is fine, but trying to exploit one of their own machinations without proper knowledge only leads to butthurt and tears for harvest. There are set rules that we do need to learn, like how skills work and shit like that, but actively fucking with something the GM himself said not to fuck with is never, ever a good idea.

Oh, and I'm going to point out that we've passed on many opportunities because we didn't want to take the risk. For example, the Thieves Guild was clearly way too risky for some people, based purely on our own speculation.

Does anyone here have experience in military bureaucracy? Here's how things will probably work out if we try to advance hastily or claim we have visions and whatnot:
1) It'll take forever for the information to go through proper channels, and if someone has a stick up their ass or doubts you at all, chances are you'll need to wait a few months minimum to hear back.
2) Your commanding officers will milk you for all you're worth and take 99% of the credit.

We already know that there are very few actual Guardsmen on the island. That means very little need for promotion. Upward movement will be...difficult, to say the least. If we try to work for promotion or at least renown through legitimate means then we'll be enlisting a few more times.

A Commander's going to laugh you into getting 302'd if you come up to him as a newbie and say you're having visions that will change the fate of the whole island. Let's be honest here, what would you do in their shoes? Certainly not just let them walk off on their "quest". I'd get them committed at least temporarily due to mental breakdown or somesuch.

If we do something other than sabotage and escape, which gets my vote, here are what I suggest about the other options Hugo has outlined (I don't want to bold everything though):

If we want to be an operative, there will be a huge time investment. One does not just immediately become a Navy SEAL. We'll have to dedicate everything to training hard, and train constantly. We will need to stand out from every other recruit and basic Guardsman immediately, and that will go very far to helping us.

Police work would be interesting, but we'd be stuck in a certain area, and as you said, in a heavily Imperial area. We'll need to work on our investigative and perceptive skills. Show a good mind for detail.

If we want to get out the boring way, since we aren't good with the Blades and I don't want to be indebted to Vivec, let's avoid a "higher power" and offer to work for the Thieves Guild to pay off a debt incurred by forging papers requiring your immediate release.

In all cases though, absolutely get that combat training before leaving however we decide to. Please decide to be awesome and ninja out. For reals, Mike wold instantly be a badass and get in good with Redoran House. Then we could do all sorts of work for them and get the support of a whole house.

Should things work out. But remember, every single suggestion really is a "should things work out" situation. All moves are risky.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 24, 2013, 03:59:16 pm »

Do not sabotage the legion, go AWOL or anything else that will get us branded as an outlaw and shunned by the legion.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 24, 2013, 04:10:42 pm »

I do not suggest leaving the Legion until you are at least finished with basic training.

However, throughout training, we need to keep our eyes and ears peeled for any information of note. Our main goal, should always be to find a way home.. It that means learning magic, then we must learn magic. If that means learning to fight, then we must learn to fight. If our path requires us to steal, then we shall steal the britches off of Nalcayra.

What we do needs to be dictated by own need to escape Morrowind. If there is a need to desert from the Legion, than we will cross that bridge when we get there.  But for now, we need the training so we can just survive.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 24, 2013, 04:17:21 pm »

Screw home, MorroReal is a universe where we have the knowledge of several ways to ascend to godhood.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 24, 2013, 04:32:07 pm »

I am against illegally (or fatally) leaving the Legion until we have a solid plan, at which point this anti-vote is null.

Try to get basic magic training. Soldiers who can magic away their own wounds and diseases are a significant improvement. If not from our commander, maybe another legionnaire will be willing to teach us on our off-duty periods.

From the last update, there are probably more anomalous people here than just us and that Dunmer. We can safely assume at least some of the others know where the loot just anyone can take is, and that it has been taken by now.

I think the feelings of Deja Vu might be from other anomalous people entering this world.

Our main goal should be survival. Death is Bad, even if we revive.

I) Survive!
  A) Learn to fight. We are pathetic, and ran from a rat.
    1) Staying in the Imperial Legion gives us an easy, low-risk way to do so, and nets us equipment.
    2) We could have learned how at the Fighters Guild for only 150-300 coins.
    3) Hang around towns looking for lone rats. Stab a few times before run for help.
    4) Pick fights in bars.
  B) Get information. We aren't in a standard game of Morrowind. We need to know what's going on. Who called us here and why, what's up with the anomalous people, the deja vu, and reviving.
    1) We learn little staying in the Legion, but might spot a few other anomalous people, and might get a few reports. Probably not enough.
    2) If we weren't in the Legion, we would have more free reign, if we could survive.
  C) Learn magic!
    1) We might be able to get some training in the Legion.
    2) We otherwise need lots of money for a trainer.
  D) Money!
    1) We get a bit if we stay in the Legion.
    2) We could train up alchemy, but we need more money for a house and to get the instruments.
    3) We could join the thieves guild and commit acts of petty theft for pocket change.
    4) We could sell information, if any of it is still news.
    5) Adventuring.
    6) Questing, if we had any focus.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 24, 2013, 04:39:24 pm »

Screw home, MorroReal is a universe where we have the knowledge of several ways to ascend to godhood.

Several highly impractical and mostly risky ways. Seriously, it's a very, very long-term goal.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 24, 2013, 04:45:55 pm »

TBH we shouldnt have left Seyda Neen yet. There are many low level opportunities in that area that we missed and would now be wasting time backtracking to go sort out...
This is a blank sig.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 24, 2013, 05:13:24 pm »

There are, as far as I can see, two possibilities for the people not normally in the game:
1) They are other PC's, with differing capabilities and levels of "gamey-ness"
2) They are just other adventurers and people from this world, migrating and traveling for business; realistic processes not possible in the game. Their presence is merely a consequence of being actually here.

However we leave the legion, let's get what we came for first: training and gear. My main idea for getting out would be to show someone involved in Intel (not our commanding officer) that we know more than we should. To ensure we don't get killed for seeming a simple small leak, we must show that we know WAY more than we should. They will want to know WHY and HOW we know, to see where the security breech is. It sounds dangerous, but they won't kill us while they don't know how much we know. And going by the behavior of the Empire's spies, they tend to keep interesting people close rather than dispose of them.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 24, 2013, 05:20:26 pm »

I am against illegally (or fatally) leaving the Legion until we have a solid plan, at which point this anti-vote is null.

I believe I proposed a solid plan. Let me repeat:
-Get killed, reset. After that happens -
-Sell crap, purchase money to hire thieves guild to retrieve skull, turn down their offer and say while we don't wish to become a thief, we have decided it would be easier for all involved to simply make use of their services. Offer something like 270 septims for our "initial request" here, which I'm pretty sure we can manage by pawning stuff we've got. Ask how long it will take, and say we might have more business for them in the future if they pull this off without any problems.
-Repeat the conversation with the orc necromancer. Do not admit to weakness this time. Say it will not be a problem.
-Spend some time mapping out valuable an relatively poorly guarded loot that we the audience can provide info on. Try to cut a deal with the thieves guild for the unguarded stuff, where you get a cut in exchange for valuable info on targets, and with the fighters guild for the valuable stuff, where you get a cut in exchange for valuable info on targets.
-Learn magic from the orc.
-Use money from provided information to purchase a full alchemy set and a bunch of piss from everyone in town, as well as renting a house in Balmora. Proceed to conduct alchemy while everybody is off making money for us (even if it's more for themselves), and practicing our magic, building up our skills.

And I'll add
-Meanwhile, go around accomplishing a few non-combat quests in the Balmora area, of which I'm sure there will be plenty. At the very least, as Silt Strider lady if there's anything we can do for her. Also, who's running the lighthouse now?

I am NOT proposing we just kill ourselves off willy-nilly, or do a lot of dangerous stuff. But I'm pretty sure we've made a terrible mistake, mostly because the GM said we made a terrible mistake, and if there is any time to be willing to undertake risky behaviour and experiment a bit with death, now is that time. We have an unused dejavu and an absolutely terrible predicament we've gotten ourselves into with no way out.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 05:23:38 pm by GlyphGryph »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 24, 2013, 05:27:24 pm »

No way out? We've listed at least 5 now! Bear in mind the GM also explicitly cautioned against playing with death.

About the 90 days time frame: Though this may be the average completion time, there are other factors that could mean more or less time. An experienced PC might be spending time grinding and doing sidequests, or might try the backdoor method and finish in minutes. An inexperienced player might push on through the main quest, losing plenty of time to bad directions and too-tough encounters: and in this case, would likely reload plenty of times due to not spending time strengthening their character. Worst case scenario, they kill an essential NPC and don't know about the backdoor.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 24, 2013, 05:33:12 pm »

No way out? We've listed at least 5 now! Bear in mind the GM also explicitly cautioned against playing with death.
Each of which leaves us in a steadily worse situation. Which one of those was actually a good alternative and likely to work? Because I didn't see one.

The only thing that isn't even more dangerous than what I've suggested (which is incredible, considering I'm outright advocating for us to be killed) for us to do nothing and stay with the Legion, completely wasting huge chunks of time.

Basic training is 28 days, and last time I played Morrowind, it only takes about 90 to get all the way through the entire game from start to finish. Last time you considered joining, a couple people pointed out that there are other forces in the game besides you and that you probably don't have forever. Whether or not there are any PCs in the world, do you really think that Dagoth Ur is going to sit around doing nothing for the next year? What was the benefit of joining?
This is JUST for basic training, which gets us almost nothing, and after which we'll still be extremely limited. Note that the problem isn't the player finishing the game - let's assume for a moment the worse, and that the player gives up. We either abandon the guard, which is likely to screw us over permanently, or we give up and let terrible things happen we can't do a thing about because we are wasting time.

But honestly...I think it was a bad move. And I advise you guys to think carefully about what you want to do next.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 161