Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 413215 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game
« Reply #570 on: June 27, 2013, 10:34:12 am »

Let's just go AWOL like I suggested after we get our combat training finished. It's not a bad plan I think, and even though we piss off some people, at least my plan includes a way to improve relations with another faction.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 27, 2013, 10:34:55 am »

Next time we see a PC-type-character, immediately say that we have an important quest for them, and the rewards will be immense, and it will be vital to the survival of Morrowind and the defeat of the great evil that lies at the heart of the Red Mountain.

I don't think an "PC" can resist something like that.

And we can abuse the "gamification" by... (obviously) sending them on another quest after they complete the first one, then hightailing it out of there. If we change our clothes a bit, or (with our legionnaire outfit) simply change our location, they'll never be able to find us again and we get some awesome stuff out of it.

What we need to do is decide what the quest will be in advance, since it doesn't seem like we'll ever get a split session after seeing a PC.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 27, 2013, 12:54:08 pm »

A question for LordBucket;

How is leveling up handled? Its been awhile since I played Morrowind, but I seem to remember that frivolously leveling would come back to bite you in the ass, as leveling to early would reduce the amount of points you get when you level up to increase your stats with.

Now for Michal:

Finnish our training. BUT! Talk to Strillian first, he said himself that you got potential for metamagical math. Your combat and strength training is fine, but suggest that perhaps you could be very useful to the legion if you got some magical training. They already shown that there is a lot of room for special cases and individual needs. Maybe the legion could facilitate you magic training? If they do not have in house trainers, maybe they can sponsor an outside one? In fact, you just happen to hold a letter of recommendation for a trainer. Maybe they could send you there for some special training?

Also, I like the idea of hiring PC's to do quests for us. That sounds awesome.

That lady who wanted that book, left right? So we can't get the book back to her? If we still can then give the next PC you meet a quest to retrieve the book and deliver it to the lady, making sure to inform her that it was on our behest. Once you are sure the PC has done that (ask the PC to ask the lady where she met you or something) give him that useless ring we got as a quest reward.

If that is not possible;

Check to see if that orc necromancer still wants the skull from the tomb. If she does hire the next PC to go get that skull for you and give the ring as a reward.

If not, lets figure out something else that is useful that they can do for us, and use that cursed ring as a quest reward.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:57:26 pm by hostergaard »
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 27, 2013, 01:08:08 pm »

Finnish our training. BUT! Talk to Strillian first, he said himself that you got potential for metamagical math. Your combat and strength training is fine, but suggest that perhaps you could be very useful to the legion if you got some magical training. They already shown that there is a lot of room for special cases and individual needs. Maybe the legion could facilitate you magic training? If they do not have in house trainers, maybe they can sponsor an outside one? In fact, you just happen to hold a letter of recommendation for a trainer. Maybe they could send you there for some special training?

This is a great idea - but talk to the commander first. Say we would best serve the legion as a battle mage, show him the letter of recommendation (once we are done with basic training), and suggest we could train in Pelegiad and if they covered the cost of our training we could both patrol and study at the same time, and it would be quite useful.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 27, 2013, 01:18:36 pm »

Also, if you do happen to get some magical training in, ask if the trainer has any spell-making services. If so, make the absolute most basic spells you possibly can in each school.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 27, 2013, 01:19:41 pm »

Additionally, set yourself up somewhere you are likely to encounter "PC" characters

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 27, 2013, 01:40:35 pm »

This is a great idea - but talk to the commander first. Say we would best serve the legion as a battle mage, show him the letter of recommendation (once we are done with basic training), and suggest we could train in Pelegiad and if they covered the cost of our training we could both patrol and study at the same time, and it would be quite useful.

I love this! +1

May I also suggest... In order to achieve:
Check to see if that orc necromancer still wants the skull from the tomb. If she does hire the next PC to go get that skull for you and give the ring as a reward.

We attempt to give it as a quest, and reward it with money/item like a regular quest? Hell, we could use the cursed ring!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 27, 2013, 03:13:01 pm »

Glad you guys liked it!

We attempt to give it as a quest, and reward it with money/item like a regular quest? Hell, we could use the cursed ring!

I can imagine a few situations where we can use it, sure. But the tradeoff seems a bit bad, the penality and bonus is kinda mismatched. 10 health is about 1/4 of our health and the cases where athletics is useful health is probably somewhat important too.

We can give money or regular items, but its not like they necessarily feel like doing whatever for some more gold on the heap. But if you dangle the promise of some mysterious enchanted ring in front of them they are gonna growl and jump all they can to get their hands on it.

And considering we paid 100 gold for it and that book costs, what? 300 gold? it would be a nice tradeoff.

LordBucket

On the note of cursed enchanted items;

Do you have some lorewise explanation for them? I always kinda figured that it was that the enchantment was a little too powerful for whatever soul used, and some of the power needed was drained from the user instead. In terms of game mechanics it does not work like that, but maybe this LP would allow for this? I mean, sure cursed items could be the result of some chucklefuck deciding to ruin a perfectly good enchantment by adding a horrifying curse or two, but aside from the sadistic/humorous results it seems kinda irrational.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 03:22:03 pm by hostergaard »
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 27, 2013, 03:26:11 pm »

Well, we know "cursed" items exist in the native game, the boots of blinding speed being an excellent example (we should get those sometime by the way, after we learn spell resistance).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 27, 2013, 04:11:04 pm »

Yes, but I was wondering why they exist. When the player enchant something he has no reason to add a course. Taking a health hit does not improve the positive enchantments.

So either there there is some aspect of enchanting that does not apply to players (like trading of a penalty for a bonus, which NPC might have to do to make more powerful enchantments outside of what they normally can. Or that some types of enchantment have build in penalties, like improved resistance to cold makes you more sensitive to fire) or enchanting works the same way for NPC and cursed items are made mostly for shits and giggles by bored magicians and daedra/Aedra. 

I mean, boots of blinding speed. Makes you much faster. Awesome. But why are they boots of blinding speed rather than just boots of speed. Its not sensible and kinda annoying running around in near darkness, and I wonder why it have this curse.

In fact Since they are gonna give us the heads up on enchantments make sure to ask how the basics of enchanting works, why does cursed items exist, can you make tradeoffs?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 04:12:49 pm by hostergaard »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: June 27, 2013, 04:30:17 pm »

I have to agree with Glyphgryph. We've all been very cautious yet short-sighted due to not wanting to type out a long plan only for it to get voted down. My plan was to get basic training, get our first assignment in Moonmoth/Balmora, then talk to Caius and make things interesting again.

Talking about our math background isn't meant to impress a supplies clerk, it's so we have something better to say than "Um, Highschool Math?" when people ask.

I still say we should talk talk to Caius, but seeing if we can get trained in Pelagaid while on duty sounds like a good idea. Let's try that first.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 27, 2013, 04:57:27 pm »

Whatever you do, do NOT go AWOL.

Any of you remember that legion quest where you hunt down an AWOL ex-legionnaire and kill him?  I think it'd probably be best to NOT get the law enforcement of the land determined to kill us.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 27, 2013, 06:12:17 pm »

Whatever you do, do NOT go AWOL.
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 27, 2013, 06:16:05 pm »

Go AWOL harder.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 27, 2013, 06:17:42 pm »

Frankly, we've backed ourselves into a corner and now can't reasonably escape without pissing off the entire legion (because trying to kill ourselves would be ridiculously stupid) and making an enemy of the government who will hunt us down for desertion and execute us.  Yes, it was a stupidly bad decision, and not one that was entirely unopposed, but there was a certain degree of pressure for us to choose one thing that we could agree on and opinion was so divided on most of the multiple courses of action that the only thing inoffensive enough to gain a majority was the frigging moronic option of tying ourselves up for an entire year.

If anyone can think of a way out of this that doesn't involve trying to exploit a game mechanic that might just end the game (and in any case is utterly horrific to poor Michael, who can always simply refuse because he has agency), or end up with us as an outlaw for the remainder of our time in Vvardenfell, I would love to hear it.

If there isn't one, then... Desert.  Join the Thieves' Guild and live in the shadows, training ourselves and accruing wealth and spoils until we can afford to find a new path.  It's a bad choice among bad choices, but we literally only have bad choices.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 161