Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 161

Author Topic: Marooned in Morrowind (FINISHED)  (Read 413358 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned in Morrowind, a suggestion game Ep.46
« Reply #1380 on: January 06, 2014, 11:09:50 pm »

Get papers and Mark.

Apologize and excuse self from angry enchantress, with as little awkwardness as you can muster.

I got no idea how they know we're Legion. It's not like we got a floating sign above our head or something. Maybe they're just assuming because we look Imperial? Or does word spread rather quickly?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: January 07, 2014, 12:16:30 am »

Unless Awesomicus has already done it, getting those papers requires excorcising a ghost that's being summoned by an angry Kahjiit. IIRC.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: January 07, 2014, 01:24:21 am »

So we can't just sign papers, apply the proper bribes, and call it a day? Damn.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: January 07, 2014, 03:07:48 am »

Interesting. Looks like scrolls probably aren't worth it in general, then, despite not needing a soul. Though I suppose the soul was always the cheap part of this operation.

I got no idea how they know we're Legion. It's not like we got a floating sign above our head or something. Maybe they're just assuming because we look Imperial? Or does word spread rather quickly?
If I had to guess, and I do, they can sense Factions or Professions of some kind somehow. We were placed on "detached duty" from the Legion, which I presume means we're still part of it, just not on duty as usual.

Could also be limited to soldiers, guards, or other official things like that. Might be a nice way to prevent anyone wearing Bonemold or a set of Legion armor being mistaken for a guard, for instance.

Unless Awesomicus has already done it, getting those papers requires excorcising a ghost that's being summoned by an angry Kahjiit. IIRC.
Dark Elf, and I'm not sure if you actually need to do that to get the papers. The same guy gives both the quest and the papers, seemed like they were separate, but I don't recall actually asking about it until I'd done the quest.

Speaking of which, I took a look at the trip from Sadrith Mora to Tel Fyr in-game.

We are fucked.

There's far more than one island in the way, and they're steep. I think the low, marshmerrow-laden island I was remembering was actually the one Tel Fyr itself is sitting on; the rest are volcanic-looking messes. I don't know how we're possibly going to get across there.

The only good news is that the cliff racers seemed to have a habit of getting stuck in there and there didn't seem to be too many slaughterfish.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: January 07, 2014, 03:10:58 am »

This is the one time Icarian flight might be a sane option. But we don't have that...

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: January 07, 2014, 03:36:56 am »

Icarian's flight isn't actually that bad, provided you use the second scroll before you hit the ground.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: January 07, 2014, 06:13:34 am »

I can't help but notice that we already got water walking, water breathing and levitation in our list over know alchemy ingredients. With a little luck we might get another one so I suggest We talk a walk around the island to sample local ingredients and after that (and after we bought the necessary papers) look around the relevant shops and see if you can find the following ingredients to sample:

- Ash Yam
- Netch Leather
- Roobrush
- Wickwheat
- Kresh Fiber
- Stoneflower Petals

They are all the 1 gp ingredients we have not currently sampled. If we are lucky we get either, levitation,  waterwalking or breathing in one of the other.

If that fails you could start experimenting with the cheap one gp ingredients, I think there is 24 of them.

Buy or collect Violet Coprinus so you have at least 23 of them. Then buy or collect so you have one of each of all the 1 gp ingredients you can get your hands on. Then combine one Violet Coprinus and one gp potions at a time and test the resulting potion carefully by walking on water (and maybe some other test to check for other effects, like levitation and whatnot). Continue until you find a successful combination and note what ingredient that produced it

It should cost at most 46 in raw materials not counting what we have and what we can find. With a little luck we might discover some other effects.

Also, look into joining house Telvanni, because why not? They got magic and shit. Unless there is some reprecussion that I have forgotten about.

Oh and:

Maybe buy any 2 gp ingredients you can't find for free and sample those too, they aren't that expensive

Edit:

Apologize to the lady, you did not intend to question the worth of her skill, its just that you are somewhat new to the whole enchanting/alchemy business and the the price difference confused you. Thank her for illuminating you on the topic.

Edit2:

Hey, maybe we can get her to teach us a little for free? Ask her to elaborate on enchanting, she seems to take pride in it.

Lovely to see this LP active again!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 06:49:59 am by hostergaard »
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: January 07, 2014, 10:28:11 am »

Also, look into joining house Telvanni, because why not? They got magic and shit. Unless there is some reprecussion that I have forgotten about.

Gigantic relationship hit with the Mages' Guild.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: January 07, 2014, 11:45:59 am »

Not to mention extremely deadly politics. If you manage to learn any remotely powerful magic, you'll become a goon to someone, and a threat to someone else, and thus likely dead. Even more so if you become powerful enough to ascend the ranks at all. Telvanni are not nice.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: January 07, 2014, 01:05:51 pm »

+1 to some alchemy experimentation. Why buy stuff if we could "live off the land"?
This is a blank sig.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: January 07, 2014, 01:26:02 pm »

Not to mention extremely deadly politics. If you manage to learn any remotely powerful magic, you'll become a goon to someone, and a threat to someone else, and thus likely dead. Even more so if you become powerful enough to ascend the ranks at all. Telvanni are not nice.

Yeah but they're fun!!! My favorite house by far because you can just murder your way around. We'll just kiss someone's butt while we're weak and then when we get stronger... well you know. Also, just about anything the mages guild can do, House Telvanni can do as well. AND we'll get a mushroom tower! Who doesn't want a mushroom tower?!?
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: January 07, 2014, 01:46:26 pm »

The possibility of joining House Telvani shall not be on the table until we are already somewhat powerful. Of all the Great Houses, Telvanni has the nastiest people. Redoran may be racist, Hlaalu may be corrupt, but Telvanni has forces beyond our mortal reconning at the hands of extremely vindictive and occasionally loony sorcerers.

Aside from the ethics of murdering our way to the top, you have to consider the people we'd need to eliminate, IE some of the toughest customers on all of Vvardenfell, if not all of Tamriel.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: January 07, 2014, 04:30:24 pm »

I can't help but notice that we already got water walking, water breathing and levitation in our list over know alchemy ingredients. With a little luck we might get another one so I suggest We talk a walk around the island to sample local ingredients and after that (and after we bought the necessary papers) look around the relevant shops and see if you can find the following ingredients to sample:

- Ash Yam
- Netch Leather
- Roobrush
- Wickwheat
- Kresh Fiber
- Stoneflower Petals

They are all the 1 gp ingredients we have not currently sampled. If we are lucky we get either, levitation,  waterwalking or breathing in one of the other.

If that fails you could start experimenting with the cheap one gp ingredients, I think there is 24 of them.

Buy or collect Violet Coprinus so you have at least 23 of them. Then buy or collect so you have one of each of all the 1 gp ingredients you can get your hands on. Then combine one Violet Coprinus and one gp potions at a time and test the resulting potion carefully by walking on water (and maybe some other test to check for other effects, like levitation and whatnot). Continue until you find a successful combination and note what ingredient that produced it

It should cost at most 46 in raw materials not counting what we have and what we can find. With a little luck we might discover some other effects.
I'm going to have to advise against this, for a very simple reason:

Our alchemy sucks.

I've been playing Morrowind recently, and usual disclaimers about things working differently here aside, even with a vaguely decent alchemy skill my potions were abysmal. Michael's is seven, meaning anything he makes is going to benefit him for a far shorter period of time than it takes to achieve it. Nevermind the chances of failing in making it, assuming that's in.

Oh and:

Maybe buy any 2 gp ingredients you can't find for free and sample those too, they aren't that expensive

Edit:

Apologize to the lady, you did not intend to question the worth of her skill, its just that you are somewhat new to the whole enchanting/alchemy business and the the price difference confused you. Thank her for illuminating you on the topic.

Edit2:

Hey, maybe we can get her to teach us a little for free? Ask her to elaborate on enchanting, she seems to take pride in it.

Lovely to see this LP active again!
Bear in mind we were attempting to get to Tel Fyr before Clover did to stop her from dying, confirm who the Nereverine was, gain more insight into Clover, the Nereverine, and/or our condition and status, and/or generally figure out what the hell is going on. Now is really not the time to be sampling mushrooms and chatting up Mouths if we're still going for that.

That all being said, I'm starting to question the feasibility of this journey. Did we ever confirm whether Clover's gone this way? I know we asked the boat captain, but did we check in with the Guild Guide? If so, she'll probably be gone before we even get there, and this quest is more of a post-mortem examination and attempt to gain the insight of a powerful wizard. If not, there's still time assuming we can actually pull it off, which I'm starting to get dubious of.

The possibility of joining House Telvani shall not be on the table until we are already somewhat powerful. Of all the Great Houses, Telvanni has the nastiest people. Redoran may be racist, Hlaalu may be corrupt, but Telvanni has forces beyond our mortal reconning at the hands of extremely vindictive and occasionally loony sorcerers.

Aside from the ethics of murdering our way to the top, you have to consider the people we'd need to eliminate, IE some of the toughest customers on all of Vvardenfell, if not all of Tamriel.
Plus this. Every time someone mentions how awesome we could be if we did X, I wonder if they've checked our stats lately.

A starting character in vanilla Morrowind can generally expect to have 50 in a really good attribute, 40 in a decent or good one, and 30 will usually be their lowest. For skills, they're looking at 5 for anything they've never touched, 10 for anything they've never touched but is inside their specialty, 15-20 for most minor skills, and 30-40 for most major ones.

Meanwhile, our attributes are:
27.0 Strength (20)
34.9 Speed (30)
36.9 Agility (30)
39.9 Endurance (30)
42.4 Intelligence (40)
40.0 Willpower (40)
44.4 Personality (40)
56.0 Luck (50)
So decent stats for a low-level mage who's unusually lucky and appears to be branching off into battlemage for some reason. Except we don't actually know any magic, which means we're basically a likeable mook.

Meanwhile our skills are:
30 Acrobatics (0)
22 Athletics (5)
 7 Armorer (0)

6 Block (0)
 7 Heavy Armor (0)
 5 Medium Armor (0)
 21 Light armor (0)
 9 Unarmored (0)

5 Blunt Weapon
 12 Hand to Hand
 5 Longblade
 6 Shortblade
 8 Spear

7 Alchemy (0)
 5 Enchanting (0)

21 Speechcraft (10)
11 Mercantile (0)
Our Acrobatics actually look like a heavily favored minor or not very favored major skill. Our Athletics is pretty good compared to a fresh starting character who didn't specialize in it or started it as a Minor with no racial/profession bonuses, our Speechcraft and Light Armor could pass for minor skills or major skills that fall completely outside the character's racial or professional focus, our hand to hand might be a skill we got a bonus to from being a warrior or just something we leveled up from punching mudcrabs for a bit, and pretty much everything else looks an awful lot like it started at 5 and then we decided to take a few swings with an iron shortsword we found at a passing kwama forager, before giving up and using our real method to kill things.

In short, our attributes didn't lie: We are a mook. We're an awful mook, who from both numbers and experience should have difficulty killing things any respectable "adventurer," "guard," or really even just wandering merchant who dares to leave a city should consider no more than a nuisance.

So now I ask you: How well would you guess the above individual would fare in a house full of ambitious thousand-year-old wizards? Because "get his own mushroom tower and murder anyone in his way" is not high on my list. "Be killed out of hand and no one cares in the slightest" seems far more likely to me.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: January 07, 2014, 04:38:59 pm »

Oh, I agree it shouldn't be something we do now. It's just that if we ever do considering joining a great house, I'd go for that one.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: January 07, 2014, 04:42:10 pm »

Oh, I agree it shouldn't be something we do now. It's just that if we ever do considering joining a great house, I'd go for that one.
Well... that sort of goes without saying in general. I'm not sure how well it actually fits Michael; he might be better-suited to a cushy Hlaalu position.

But yes, Telvanni is always the default answer, at the very least.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 161